Opinions on Cloud based video surveillance systems ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's soooo many things that I can comment on the rest of this post about but this in case it seem most people on this thread or forum keep whining and complaining about "consumer" grade off the shelf solution like Ring :rolleyes: ,etc where you just buy it and scroll to the bottom of the page and click "ACCEPT"... Don't like it... don't buy it or ACCEPT it... simple as that..

And to answer your question "The other thing with cloud based is they can change the conditions of the service at any time or jack up the prices," umm, no they can't.. because with true enterprise grade solutions you're going to have a written / formal contract that goes through legal, etc and a TOS, etc... and minimum 1yr+ of service (we have some Verkada clients on 3+ year contracts and these new OpenEye clients on 2+ year contracts).. so no, they just can't JACK UP THE PRICE at any time.:rofl:

Gotta love the internet and the mis-information out there.. Does the banks jack up your rates on your auto loans / home loans also at any time or change conditions? :wtf:

OIY VEY
I was beginning to wonder what planet you live on...

Thank goodness @fenderman called you out for having a hidden agenda. I love it when he does that.

You missed the entire point. I buy a non-cloud based camera and I never have to worry about some fee coming up or increasing a fee for use of that camera or it being hacked.

Dahua doesn't send me a bill 3 years later saying I owe them more money. I bought it and I am done. With a cloud-based camera, the annual fee is there until you decide to get rid of the piece of crap for a camera that doesn't lock you in to fees for the life of the camera.

With a cloud-based camera or doorbell, at the end of the year, they can jack up the price and you are stuck at that point - you either pay up or don't and then have a useless device and buy something else. That is considered jacking up the fee at anytime - maybe it is more of a notice that once your year is up the fee goes up, but you are just trying to pick a fight to hawk your services and missed the entire point. In fact, many TOS say they can change parts of the terms at any time - can't get more clearer than that LOL.

Look no further than recently when Ring doubling their price for the same service.

OR worse - they lure you in with "free" offerings like AI in the doorbell to alert you if someone doesn't push the button, and then years later, change it to be part of the subscription paid service. Don't tell me you are too naive to have never seen that happen? No different than TV stations taking their "free programming" and moving it over to their paid streaming services.

OR worse - you have a cloud based device and the company either decides it isn't worth it being in that market or goes out of business - now you have a device that doesn't work anymore.

Or even worse - what about the hacking of cloud-based systems like Verkada had a year ago...

Love this quote from a different article: Even more alarming than the attack, was that Verkada had no idea they had been breached until the video feed hit Twitter. Verkada learned about the hack through the media, without any knowledge of the duration of the breach or the extent of the damage. The hackers have since claimed they had uninterrupted full system access for two days.

WOW - where does the $1500 per camera plus annual license money go - not to security apparently... Oh wait it goes to your 'Bro Culture' where unethical activity is radically more commonplace than virtually any other technology company

Comparing a car loan that is typically 4 years and a home loan that is typically 30 years is not the same comparison. Does Ring or any cloud-based provider offer a 30 year, lock in your rate now. NO. And would anyone be stupid enough to do so? Probably LOL.

Tell me again how cloud-based is cheaper and safer?

Hmm who is actually spreading mis-information...someone gonna wish they kept their mouth shut cause now people researching Verkada gonna come across this thread and see how self-serving their employees are going out to forums and spreading mis-information and lies all to try to gain a sale....

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Other similar network/site overloads:

April 15 (Tax filing deadiine) - IRS site overloaded.
Black Friday - many retailers sites overloaded.
Christmas - Netflix was overloaded (on one year, at least).
Hi @Natey2

April 15 (Tax filing deadiine) - IRS site overloaded. => most of us would probably be happy not to be forced to deal with this service provider
Black Friday overload of sites .. Yes, happens - but me missing out on sales is not as important as my front doorbell and security cameras not working on a critical day.
Christmas - Netflix was overloaded (on one year, at least). - that's fine, no harm done if the family is forced to play card games or monopoly or something ..

I'm guessing you're still not 100% clear of the point..

Cloud Dependent products are inherently more unreliable than on-premise. It's a very simple point and very provable. Cloud depend products have a significantly larger set of dependencies for reliable functionality.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's soooo many things that I can comment on the rest of this post about but this in case it seem most people on this thread or forum keep whining and complaining about "consumer" grade off the shelf solution like Ring :rolleyes: ,etc where you just buy it and scroll to the bottom of the page and click "ACCEPT"... Don't like it... don't buy it or ACCEPT it... simple as that..

And to answer your question "The other thing with cloud based is they can change the conditions of the service at any time or jack up the prices," umm, no they can't.. because with true enterprise grade solutions you're going to have a written / formal contract that goes through legal, etc and a TOS, etc... and minimum 1yr+ of service (we have some Verkada clients on 3+ year contracts and these new OpenEye clients on 2+ year contracts).. so no, they just can't JACK UP THE PRICE at any time.:rofl:

Gotta love the internet and the mis-information out there.. Does the banks jack up your rates on your auto loans / home loans also at any time or change conditions? :wtf:

OIY VEY
iirc nearly all terms of service agreements give the service companies the ability to change the service terms without consulting any customers ..

From Ring.com terms of service:

CHANGES TO THIS AGREEMENT AND SERVICES
Except as set forth in the Dispute Resolution section, Ring is free to revise these Terms or any other part of this Agreement at any time by updating this page.​

ref:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just drop these here:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, I lost a local WD drive (containing other stuff, still under warranty) when I used BI on a home desktop computer; I believe all the constant 24/7 disk-writes did it.

The only .bvr files left/accessible are those that I had pushed to the Microsoft OneDrive Cloud before the local disk demise.

Old (1997) but interesting reading about backups:

Coverage
Frequency
Separation
History
Testing
Security
Integrity
yes, Disk failures happen.

In my experience disk failures happen a lot less than internet failures for most home users.

If you feel ( that you want more reliability ), you can mirror your disks.

Last edited:

JasonA-EV

n3wb
Reaction score
nice nice nice.. come back from a little weekend retreat / bookfair at USC and now i see all the Internet weirdo's have come out to play.. so I'll start one by one.. :rolleyes:

EDIT: TonyR... I totally agree with you, but this was about "Cloud" providers and the TOS's / subscriptions. Ring is not an enterprise solution, yet everyone on here keeps yapping about them and their stupid Halloween crap:rofl: etc , etc..

Last edited:

JasonA-EV

n3wb
Reaction score
Um, credit card companies do this all the time. Besides, @wittaj is not talking about car loans or enterprise agreements." He is talking about the normal terms and conditions of these consumer grade cams which state in their paperwork that they can change their terms and conditions.
Umm, we are talking about "enterprise agreements" since that's the TITLE of this thread :rolleyes:.. aka Cloud providers.. and yes, you have to look at and do legal agreements and signed contracts with them. The good ones that is.

And if you keep complaining about how your card, car and home banks are always switching up interest rates on your FIXED loans.. well..

Then that's YOUR problem...

JasonA-EV

n3wb
Reaction score
Lol, Jacking up the price after 1 year is akin to anytime. Otherwise you need to lock yourself into a multi year solution. I understand that you love selling overpriced cloud reliant nonsense like verkada because it increases your RMR. This entire forum is based on eliminating the need for truck slammers and "professional" wire runners/salesmen like you. We know better.
Another idiot that doesn't read.. and just wants to get into the action... :screwy:

First of all bud, don't know where you got this whole "I'M A SALESMAN" thing???

If you were to read my post (which was a 1st in MANY MANY years dude)... you would have seen i'm just a normal joe blow tech guy that works for the schools and we're installing ALOT of cloud based solutions.. I saw this thread, popped in... gave some good INFO back on 3... and that was it..

You're all wiggin out now dude, so chill. I haven't pushed a single thing here since I joined in 2017. So take it easy

JasonA-EV

n3wb
Reaction score
I was beginning to wonder what planet you live on...

Thank goodness @fenderman called you out for having a hidden agenda. I love it when he does that.

You missed the entire point.
Thank goodness for that!!! you can't really read anything.. He called me out! :wtf:

JasonA-EV

n3wb
Reaction score
And for the other posting dumb links, and such, those are just Amazon / Ebay based "comsumer" grade crap...

They come and go.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EDIT: TonyR... I totally agree with you, but this was about "Cloud" providers and the TOS's / subscriptions.
Actually, my post that YOU replied to was a reply to your post #69.
Umm, we are talking about "enterprise agreements" since that's the TITLE of this thread :rolleyes:.. aka Cloud providers..
No, actually it's "Opinions on Cloud based video surveillance systems ?"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another idiot that doesn't read.. and just wants to get into the action... :screwy:

First of all bud, don't know where you got this whole "I'M A SALESMAN" thing???

If you were to read my post (which was a 1st in MANY MANY years dude)... you would have seen i'm just a normal joe blow tech guy that works for the schools and we're installing ALOT of cloud based solutions.. I saw this thread, popped in... gave some good INFO back on 3... and that was it..

You're all wiggin out now dude, so chill. I haven't pushed a single thing here since I joined in 2017. So take it easy
The scammer is banned. Stop pushing $800 per year cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - he thinks we can't read LOL, and yet he kept digging himself a digger hole :lmao:

So he is putting in cloud based cameras in schools to let all the pervs hack it and jack it looking at elementary students...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know that he has since been banned, but you know what, just to clear up the misinformation he was spreading, let's take a look at the Verkada "Enterprise Agreement" that he touts is so good and which he claims that they can't just jack up the price and change terms at any time due to the TOS....

Let's see you don't even have to get no further than the third paragraph to see this gem:

• "This Agreement is effective as of the earlier of the date that Customer accepts the terms of this Agreement as indicated above or first accesses or uses any of the Products (the “Effective Date”). Verkada reserves the right to modify or update the terms of this Agreement in its discretion, the effective date of which will be the earlier of (i) 30 days from the date of such update or modification and (ii) Customer’s continued use of the Products."

Wait a minute, he said that doesn't happen in Enterprise Agreements...

What about this one:

• "During the License Term, Customer will transfer Customer Data to Verkada while using the Products. Customer grants Verkada a non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, store, and process Customer Data solely to develop and maintain the Products and provide them to Customer. "

Verkada could argue that using your video for marketing purposes is considered "develop and maintain" as it is building a larger customer base to fund the development and maintenance of said software.

So as we can see, even Enterprise Cloud based systems incorporate these same tactics as a Ring...so who was misleading now....

The only thing he said that appears factual is "click "ACCEPT"... Don't like it... don't buy it or ACCEPT it... simple as that.."

Which gets to the whole point of this thread - the folks here aren't complaining they are locked into some cloud based system - this thread is informing folks that you do have a choice and that there are better options out there than cloud based solutions with fees and terms that can change at any time...

Last edited: