Opinions on Cloud based video surveillance systems ?

The Automation Guy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personally I use cheaper "consumer grade" drives. I choose this because I feel that nothing captured on my CCTV system is so important that I can't afford to loose it. If there is footage that is important to archive, I back it up to other systems. That being said, I'm not going to complain to the internet when my hard drive fails prematurely due to the excessive wear and tear on it when I know that using an enterprise quality hard drive is the correct drive for this application.
Well I just thought I would update this post. My consumer grade hard drive failed in my BI machine yesterday. While I am not upset about it and will not miss the lost footage, I am replacing it with a WD Purple Surveillance Drive - actually a 12TB version due to it's better specs than the <12TB models. I figured it I had to pay to replace it, I might as well replace it with something that is designed for the 24/7 workload.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It's just me,,,,,but i feel as though playback from the WD Purp drives on my systems (2) is better than the WD Blues,,,but I have only a sample of 2 machines and 4 drives....My 2 WD white label 5TB seem up the task,,,,The 2 - 6TB blues seem stammery, and the 2 WD Purps 8TB fixed the stammery stuff.....

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I just thought I would update this post. My consumer grade hard drive failed in my BI machine yesterday. While I am not upset about it and will not miss the lost footage, I am replacing it with a WD Purple Surveillance Drive - actually a 12TB version due to it's better specs than the <12TB models. I figured it I had to pay to replace it, I might as well replace it with something that is designed for the 24/7 workload.
While I also replace drives with the WD purples when I need more space, I've had a bunch of systems run for many many years on the 500 GB or 1 TB drive that originally came with the system. So the failure is likely just a coincidence.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Because when it is out on the cloud it can be hacked and your cameras can be hacked.
Depends on how its implemented, but cloud access should be a remote controlled relay from the local encoding server, instead of directly connected cameras. NVRs incorporate remote access this way instead of sending raw camera data that can expose your ip address much less tie up internet bandwith at the location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to add this to the unofficial "master thread" about cloud based cameras. This comes courtesy of @Rob2020 over in this thread indicating a significant change in the terms of service for Arlos...

"But on January 1st, 2024, the company’s killing that feature for many Arlo cams — and reserving the right to eliminate all cloud functionality, including email alerts, push notifications, and other “bundled services or features,” for any camera that hasn’t been manufactured for four years."

Just another reason why we constantly say own the device and have control without it being dependent on a cloud or subscription based service as the terms can change at any time and usually not to your benefit.