Dahua NVR 5216-16P-4KS2

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I get the nvr I can still connect the cameras to BI right?

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its a 16ch NVR; I can connect up to 16 cameras max.. dont matter how they are wired/connected up.
So the way you have it set up you have your PoE switch and all cameras hook to the switch, then the switch is connected to the router, and the nvr is connected to the router right? So the router bridges the connection between the PoE switch and the nvr.

Lawstone

n3wb
Reaction score
Cameras -> Switch
NVR -> Switch
Switch -> Router
Nayr, I'm new to all of this and I was planning to buy this switch and connect the cameras directly to the NVR since it has the POE ports in the NVR. Is there an advantage to that over a separate POE switch? My Cat runs will not be that long as I have a small house. From what I've read in other posts, the separate POE switch gives more flexibility for longer runs and minimizing cable. I don't need to worry about that for my install because most of the cameras will be closest to the NVR. Are there any other advantages or limitations in using or not using a POE switch?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I already had a HiPoE capable system and an isolated VLAN, since I have many non camera PoE devices such as 4 wireless access points and a half dozen VoIP phones..

I didnt intentionally buy one with PoE; I just assumed for the price Andy was charging me that I was getting non-poe, but he hooked me up w/a deal.

There always seems to be a need to connect directly to the camera for some reason, the NVR is quite simple and minimal in what it can configure and it will do nothing config wise for 3rd party cameras.. Once you have everything setup and tuned to your liking it'd be fine but you go w/built in PoE expect to jump through some hoops to get direct access to the camera's WebUI.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Up to how many frames per second (fps) can this NVR record?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NVR dont give a crap about FPS; its all about the bitrate.. and it can handle 320Mbps

Lawstone

n3wb
Reaction score
I already had a HiPoE capable system and an isolated VLAN, since I have many non camera PoE devices such as 4 wireless access points and a half dozen VoIP phones..

I didnt intentionally buy one with PoE; I just assumed for the price Andy was charging me that I was getting non-poe, but he hooked me up w/a deal.

There always seems to be a need to connect directly to the camera for some reason, the NVR is quite simple and minimal in what it can configure and it will do nothing config wise for 3rd party cameras.. Once you have everything setup and tuned to your liking it'd be fine but you go w/built in PoE expect to jump through some hoops to get direct access to the camera's WebUI.
Nayr, thanks for the feedback. I now understand what you are getting at as if I want to access the WebUI for the camera, I would not be able to do that through the NVR if the camera is plugged directly into it.

Do you have any good HiPoE switch recommendations? I'm overhauling my home network as it seems like a good time with the installation of a Dahua NVR and cameras. I'll be adding a new router so I can setup a VPN and now I want to go the route of setting up a PoE Switch as well.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nayr would that PoE+ switch that I listed above^ work for the setup like you have?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure, I dont have much first hand experience with consumer grade networking gear; I come from a world of enterprise and datacenter gear and I run that stuff even at home.. so I dont generally make recommendations on that equipment.. You can find alot of threads discussing PoE+ switches sprinkled throughout the forums.

The midspan I use has a new sticker price well over a grand.. and is largely overkill for any of you guys.. I know how and where to get em for a steal, but if your not a network engineer you really dont need that kinda equipment.. and if you are a network engineer you dont need my advice.

RazorsEDGE

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sure, I dont have much first hand experience with consumer grade networking gear; I come from a world of enterprise and datacenter gear and I run that stuff even at home.. so I dont generally make recommendations on that equipment.. You can find alot of threads discussing PoE+ switches sprinkled throughout the forums.

The midspan I use has a new sticker price well over a grand.. and is largely overkill for any of you guys.. I know how and where to get em for a steal, but if your not a network engineer you really dont need that kinda equipment.. and if you are a network engineer you dont need my advice.
Just curious, what kinda switch do you run? We have a few hundred Cisco 3750x and 3850s I deal with on a daily basis. Would love to run one at home but way overkill and just a tad out of my budget lol.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious, what kinda switch do you run? We have a few hundred Cisco 3750x and 3850s I deal with on a daily basis. Would love to run one at home but way overkill and just a tad out of my budget lol.
nayr has all his equipment listed in his profile, fyi

Nayr, thanks for the feedback. I now understand what you are getting at as if I want to access the WebUI for the camera, I would not be able to do that through the NVR if the camera is plugged directly into it.
Sure you can: Hitting cameras web pages with a laptop in an NVR with POE

n8huntsman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assume that because I already use a D-link poe switch (dgs-1210) there wouldnt really be any point in getting the POE NVR, correct? Might as well save the money as far as I can tell.

Good info in the link above. I noticed in that in the video the cameras are on a different subnet from the NVR.
Is that configured automatically?
Is it required to be that way?
With the non-POE, I assume everything can stay on the LAN subnet?

Thanks

Last edited:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never used the brand but can I use this as a standalone PoE
I own the 16 port 150W version and it works great. If you ever have the need for WiFi AP's they can easily be added using the same switch bypassing the need for individual PoE injectors.

It's a great little ecosystem.