DS-7608N-E2/8P - FW 3.3.1 shall I upgrade?

Shall I upgrade?

• Yes, go ahead and upgrade

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No, you'll risk to brick your NVR

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Don't know, I don't really care what the heck you do mate!

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I believe to be the noobiest of all, EVER!! :D
I've been reading a while and before attempting to upgrade my DS-7608N-E2/8P (needless to say CHINESE) from 3.0.10 to 3.3.1, wanted double check with the experts I'm not going to brick my kit.

I've downloaded the enclosed FW believing is the right one for my NVR (RIGHT??), then I've used the HIKTOOLS to make it "english like".

Now the question is: CAN I GO AHEAD AND UPLOAD IT VIA GUI OR SHOULD I DO SOMETHING ELSE/DIFFERENT? :eek:nthego:

Thanks in advance for all the one who will be helping me on this.

Cheers!!! :very_drunk:

Attachments

Reaction score
There isn't a guarantee this is the correct firmware for your NVR without seeing the 'Supports these models' description on the website it was downloaded from.
You're actually right! Her's what I've copied from HIKVISION website (http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/download_89_p2.html)

Is it the right one? Can I go ahead and flash my NVR?

• Software Name:
    Baseline Firmware_NVR (76/77/86NI-E)_En_V3.3.1_build150422(new)
  • Software Size:
  • Software Description:

Support Models:
    DS-7600NI-E1, DS-7600NI-E2, DS-7600NI-E1/N(P), DS-7600NI-E2/N(P), DS-7700NI-E4, DS-7700NI-E4/N(P),DS-8608/16/32NI-E8

Updates:
    1.Password creating is required before using the NVR (Local GUI menu, web browser, client software and SADP software are optional);
    2. Password strength prompts(Risk,Weak, Medium, Strong) in NVR local GUI menu, web browser, client software and SADP software, and risk password is not permitted;
    3. Lock the remote IP addresses for 30 minutes once login with wrong username or password after several times;
    4. Can not be downgraded to lower firmare version;
    5. Fix some small known bugs;
    6. For more details, please refer to our release notes.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From a post I made a while back:
What I strongly suggest if you think about upgrading is to back up your existing firmware so you have a way back should you wish.
All you need is a copy of mtdblock2 in the as-delivered state. But copy mtdblock0 and 1 also.
The easiest way is if you can add a NAS destination via the GUI. It does not need to be formatted.
Something like this for an NFS mount.
Use 'mount' to find the mount point, then something like:
cd /mnt/tnfs01
umount /dev/mtdblock2
cat /dev/mtdblock2 > mtdblock2_orig
mount /dev/mtdblock2 /home/hik

You could also use TFTP, something like
TFTP -p -l mtdblock2_orig <IP address of TFTP server>

And the same for mtdblock0 & 1, though these don't need unmounted.
Then you can either at a later date 'cat' the mtdblock2_orig' back where it came from, or you can create new firmware using @wzhick really useful tool Hiktools to get a digicap.dav that the web GUI and TFTP recovery is happy with.
Also - make a backup copy of the NVR configuration, and the camera settings, via the maintenance menu, with the filename including the associated firmware version. You can't restore configurations across firmware versions.
That way - you can put the whole thing back exactly how it was before the firmware update if you ever need to do so.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Alastair.
Now I don't really want to seem blund but is this still English? :)

I do have a synology nas, however for some reason from the Web portal I'm unable to link the nvr to the nas.

With that being said and pretending that I've understood your instructions for backing up my current FW, can you please answer my questions above?

Mainly I'd need reassurance the 3.3.4 FW I've found will be compatible with my NVR and what other steps I need to make in order to upgrade the nvr?

Thanks in advance for helping matey.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a thread here on a problem with the 3.3.4 from the Europe site:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4583-nvr-stuck-on-embedded-NVR-on-screen
It looks like it would be safer to avoid that and use the 3.3.2

If you can't connect a NAS storage destination, to provide somewhere to copy the backups of the mtdblocks to, then if you have full telnet access the tftp method should work OK. But the tftp server needs to be a normal one such as this: http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html and not the Hikvision one, which is used purely for tftp recovery.

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record here, but I really still haven't understood whether I can flash the unit via Web portal and if additional steps are required for doing so.

With that being said, I have a few other outstanding items:

1) the 3.3.2 on the European mirror will work for my NVR even if it is for the NI version and mine is N?
2) I've checked the Chinese mirror and I couldn't find any FW for the 76, would the 78 work?
3) Assuming the 78 FW works, would I still need to use the hiktool before uploading?

Please f forgive my noobieness!! :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, you got there!
(needless to say CHINESE)
Do you have English menus now, and what version of firmware did you use?
Did you manage to make a backup of the existing firmware before you upgraded?
Hiktools is useful when there is a need to change the language of the header of the firmware if you get a 'language mismatch' when trying the upgrade.

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mario, can you post a link to the 3.3.2 FW that worked for you? Did you simply update via the NVR web GUI or did you use tftf? What do you mean by modded new FW?

I'm on the same boat as you, I have a DS-7604N-E1/4P procured through AliExpress

Reaction score
Hey Skeet, you make me feel like a pro mate!

I did flash the NVR via web GUI using the enclosed modded FW. What I mean by that is that I followed Alastair's guide for changing the language into English.
So far so good bro!

I hope this will work out well for you too, needless to mention you're doing this at your own risk fella.

Attachments

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts (and gamble), Mario.:)
My main motivation to upgrade FW is to see whether I can get the Virtual Host feature. In my US-version NVR, I can see it under:
Network Settings.Advanced option in order to Enable Virtual Host

Would you be so kind to check whether your updated NVR has the Virtual Host function?

skeet25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have access to my other NVR right now. The setting should be under: Configuration -> Remote Configuration -> Network Settings -> Advanced. At this level of the menu, there should be a Virtual Host option that can be checked.

This is a very useful feature that will allow you to access your cameras directly for setup, instead of going through the NVR menu, which is very limiting.

rfeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
New to forum - new to firmware upgrades!

So I tried upgrading the firmware and received a message "Incorrect version -
My NVR is:7616I-SE/P
Before trying, searched to se if there is a difference and cod not find the answer; obviously there must be?
Does anyone know what the difference is, and, where could fin the firmware update for this 7616NI-SE/p?
Any help would be appreciated

Rainer

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rainer,
What is the country specific code in the NVR's serial number, what firmware version are you on and why are you wanting to upgrade?
You have to be careful about mixing cameras from one region with an NVR from another, firmware updates could possibly cause your NVR to no longer see your cameras if you use the wrong combination.
That said, I have a DS-7608NI SE8P, which runs the same firmware as your DS-7616NI SE.
I have left it on firmware V2.3.9 build 140704 and will probably no longer update it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfeyer

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in NE NY

I was on vs 3.0.1 - the reason for upgrade: 3.0 only gave a 4x Plpayback max speed - the newer FW goes above 64!

I actually downloaded vs 3.2.1 (I beleive it was) and it works well - except: 3 of my cameras show up as a black screen (not the NO LINK), though show up normally when I address them via LAN.

If this is deviating too much from the original post I will mve to a seperate post and apo0logize for hi-jacking

Rainer