2017 Dahua Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), ePoE, NEW!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The design looks cleaner...hidden ir.
The sensor is mildly bigger.
Will the IR have more power / range?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make a fast testing for the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, picture looks sharp, first impression not bad. Should be a good model too. Today send a sample out to US for reviewing, the guys who booked the stock, can ship out on Tuesday. First lot we get 18pcs for this model. Let's see how it works.

View attachment 21253View attachment 21252
"Not bad"? ....okay. :) Does it appear to have the performance of the previous, wildly popular 5231?

Thanks,

Robert

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had, more or less, the same thought, 'Not bad' ... :screwy: ...isn't enough :)

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I impaciently pulled the trigger on these camera's with out waiting for a proper review/comparison with previous gen... Has anyone received theirs care to share their thoughts?

Chuckv

n3wb
Reaction score
I should have my test cam from Andy by the end of this week, if no weather delays interfere.
The key feature I'm shooting for is the onboard microphone and PTZ. Pretty please report on how you got the microphone to work and if you're using BI. Although I can't see anything in the manual about needing to run an audio line for output; I did see an option of linein for an external microphone if needed. Don't want to fiddle with that especially if the onboard is good enough. Let us know how to get the mic working with BI if you beat me to it. I'll post what I find out as my cameras were shipped yesterday.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The key feature I'm shooting for is the onboard microphone and PTZ. Pretty please report on how you got the microphone to work and if you're using BI. Although I can't see anything in the manual about needing to run an audio line for output; I did see an option of linein for an external microphone if needed. Don't want to fiddle with that especially if the onboard is good enough. Let us know how to get the mic working with BI if you beat me to it. I'll post what I find out as my cameras were shipped yesterday.
The 5231 Starlight has a microphone and neither one of these is PTZ

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What makes it a "Starlight"? I don't recall seeing that name on the Dahua web site.

Thanks,

Robert

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember that many manuals for IP cameras are generic and will show features that do not exist on all models. The spec sheet, however, should unique to the model. Looking at the spec sheet for this model here, I do not see where it has an optional line-in for an external microphone. The two cables coming out of the camera appears to be ethernet and power (if you're not using PoE).

If the on-board microphone is similar to the previous model of this camera, then it will work great with BI, although you'll probably have to disable (via the camera's web interface) the noise filtering option to really make it sound good.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What makes it a "Starlight"? I don't recall seeing that name on the Dahua web site.
I've never seen where Dahua officially states the requirements for the Starlight designation, but it seems to deal with the minimum illumination specs.

Of the different MP this particular turret is available in, only the 2MP is designated Starlight.

2MP
2MP.png

4MP/6MP
4MP.png

8MP
8MP.png

Attachments

Chuckv

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool. Looking forward to it. My cameras will be here next week it looks like.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mic is built in, it comes to the viewing app via the network stream. There is no option for an external mic. I expect the mic to work just as well as it does in the ipc-hdw5231r-z.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Thanks,

Robert
STARVIS™ CMOS = "Starlight". Not all the DAhua listings show their "Starlight" symbol, but if it indicates a STARVIS™ CMOS sensor then it is a "Starlight" camera.

STARVIS™ CMOS

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
STARVIS™ CMOS = "Starlight". Not all the DAhua listings show their "Starlight" symbol, but if it indicates a STARVIS™ CMOS sensor then it is a "Starlight" camera.

STARVIS™ CMOS
Hmmm. The 6 and 8 MP versions of this camera have the STARVIS sensors but not the Starlight symbol. Even with the STARVIS sensor, it looks like the extra pixels really reduce the sensitivity of those models (compared to the models that do have the Starlight symbol).

IPC-HDW5631R-ZE - Dahua Technology

IPC-HDW5831R-ZE - Dahua Technology

Last edited: