2017 Dahua Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE), ePoE, NEW!

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like this camera is the one to get if low-light performance is important to you since it performs slightly better in such conditions than the outgoing, highly regarded previous model 5231r-z (delete the "E"). I don't care about the extended ePoE performance (800 feet?) I like they way it looks cosmetically and it performs very well. If you have a lot of white light or IR floods or you don't care about night performance then you might want a higher pixel-density model. Such cams are great when the light is plentiful but they suck in the dark. Now I need to figure out how best to order via Andy.

I hope this helps!

Robert

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like this camera is the one to get if low-light performance is important to you since it performs slightly better in such conditions than the outgoing, highly regarded previous model 5231r-z (delete the "E"). I don't care about the extended ePoE performance (800 feet?) I like they way it looks cosmetically and it performs very well. If you have a lot of white light or IR floods or you don't care about night performance then you might want a higher pixel-density model. Such cams are great when the light is plentiful but they suck in the dark. Now I need to figure out how best to order via Andy.

I hope this helps!

Robert
Yeah Robert, you are right, totally speaking the performance in the night is the same as the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. So both are good models, but the new one little more expensive.
Andy

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), what's the price on the two different models? And how much of each price is shipping? And, what type of shipping service...?

Thanks!

Robert

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pardon a newbee. So you can't change the zoom/field of view while watching from the NVR or remotely?
You can with the correct software, but this is not what the varifocal is designed for. It is designed to set the FOV at install time, and leave it, unless you move the cam.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^
THIS as @looney2ns says.

Biggest benefit of a varifocal is at install tweeking time. I rarely use zoom after that.

That said, I do have a VF camera on the pool deck that I occasionally zoom in from my iPhone using iDMSS to check on what the cats are up to...

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Getting ready to order and was planning to get the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, should I opt for the 2MP or 6MP "ZE" version instead? They appear to have a lens cover as opposed to true turret so do these suffer the same "cons" as a typical dome? I may start a separate equipment check thread...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Getting ready to order and was planning to get the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, should I opt for the 2MP or 6MP "ZE" version instead?
The 6MP should not do as well in low-light as the 2MP model (i.e. no Starlight logo for the 6MP). The image sensor in the 6MP is only a smidge bigger, which to me means that the size of each pixel is physically smaller vs the 2MP model, which means less ability to collect light/less performance in low-light.

But since the 2MP model is ridiculously good in low-light, even if the 6MP model is only just "OK" (in comparison), it may still be good enough for some folks in some situations.

I'm dying to see more pictures from the 6MP model!

They appear to have a lens cover as opposed to true turret so do these suffer the same "cons" as a typical dome?
With the dome models, if you want change the angle of the camera, you have to take the dome off, repoint the lens, and then put the dome back on. If you don't get foam ring around the lens directly up against the dome glass, the IR can bleed into the image and wash it out.

I don't see this turret having that kind of problem.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Will this camera model work with a Unifi PoE+ or PoE 24V passive port? I don't need extra cable length.

mclain1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking to see what further improvement can be obtain from tweaking this camera. What "condition" settings everyone is running on their IPC-HDW5231R-ZE? Would anyone be kind to share your condition settings?

jwfleming

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy - I'd like to purchase a couple of these cameras and would like to know the best way to proceed with an order. I've emailed you a couple of times at the kingsecurity email address and have never received a reply.