Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That image is with the 3400 lumen motion floodlights activated

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
On your review thread it states

*Note that in most of my tests I allow the motion activated flood lights to come on a this is how I run them normally. For this test, Ive turned the motion floods off because, well, this camera simply doesn't need them!

Out of the box on default AUTO settings the light pickup is pretty intense.
*Note: there is no floodlight on.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm I'll have to go back to the review photos. It could have been set to 1/60. I can assure you the image in the comparison is how I run them currently. I think with the motion flood the 1/60 setting was too washed out..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On your review thread it states

*Note that in most of my tests I allow the motion activated flood lights to come on a this is how I run them normally. For this test, Ive turned the motion floods off because, well, this camera simply doesn't need them!

Out of the box on default AUTO settings the light pickup is pretty intense.
*Note: there is no floodlight on.
There ya go

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the post with the comparison of the 5442 ASE and the 5442 NI from that review.

Note in the compare photos the 4th color set down, at 1/120
When the floods kick in it was too bright at anything slower than 1/120. I'm sure ive tweeked it since that test a year ago, but you'll see very similar to what I show last night at 1/120
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj , this camera is using the latest new full color tech, a little later than Hikvision, but still not late.
Motorized lens i think have to wait to 2022. Will need a stronger chips to get the best pics.
Later let's see how is the working for the 4mp motorized lens full color working 4MP 1/1.8CMOS
By the way, the first 20pcs stocks we ship 9 amazon to USA, and the left 11pcs stocks all sold in China.
If you find any bugs welcome to report.
Well Andy, when the varifocal camera comes out next year I will be spending some money with you. I need to save my money for the rest of this year so that I can afford my 2022 camera purchases. I can see at least 6 cameras. ;)

My neighbors will be receiving some upgrades.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's the post with the comparison of the 5442 ASE and the 5442 NI from that review.

Note in the compare photos the 4th color set down, at 1/120
When the floods kick in it was too bright at anything slower than 1/120. I'm sure ive tweeked it since that test a year ago, but you'll see very similar to what I show last night at 1/120
Review: OEM IPC-B5442T-ASE-NI 4MP Pro AI Starlight Full-color Fixed Bullet
In those pictures that you referenced the detail down the street is better with the new Dahua 4K camera. I notice the same thing with my 4K Hikvision that is in the front of the house.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In playing with mine more, I think if someone has any available light, like @EMPIRETECANDY suggests, it might be better to run this camera with the LEDs off.

But in a complete pitch dark area, like midnight with heavy cloud cover so no stars, aimed at dark grass with out "reflective" concrete or buildings around it to bounce off stray ambient light, you will be surprised how well and bright this camera performs with just the LED lights in a completely dark location.

Put it on the front of the house where there may be streetlights, neighbors porch lights on, light bouncing off the street and driveways and homes, and this camera absorbs every bit of that light and makes use of it - much better than any camera I have seen.

Normally in my testing, once I start getting faster than 1/60 shutter, with each incremental jump in shutter speed, you see the image get darker. I didn't see that with this camera and initially I thought it was broke, so I jumped to 1/4,000 shutter just to confirm the shutter was working! It is amazing how fast of a shutter you can run with this camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @Wildcat_1
I’m gonna play with it a bit this week with the wife unit’s help as I’m remote one county away with mom. I need to go back through your testing and try out various setting combinations.

With these initial snaps one can clearly see the difference on the (gray not black) Jeep color, the blue Explorer and the brightness down the street at the same exposure and gain.

Much like the difference between the 5231 series with the 1/2.8 sensor and the 5442 series with the 1/1.8. It’s a another step up

At first blush, this new 1/1.2 sensor can be run about double the exposure and maybe more than that of the 5442 and get the same scene brightness, and at similar exposures it simply produces a brighter crisper image.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @Wildcat_1
I’m gonna play with it a bit this week with the wife unit’s help as I’m remote one county away with mom. I need to go back through your testing and try out various setting combinations.

With these initial snaps one can clearly see the difference on the (gray not black) Jeep color, the blue Explorer and the brightness down the street at the same exposure and gain.

Much like the difference between the 5231 series with the 1/2.8 sensor and the 5442 series with the 1/1.8. It’s a another step up

At first blush, this new 1/1.2 sensor can be run about double the exposure and maybe more than that of the 5442 and get the same scene brightness, and at similar exposures it simply produces a brighter crisper image.
Yes as I showed in my test videos you can quite easily push the cam to new highs such as 1/500.

What I would also say is that with the 1/1.2” sensor this is one of the first cams that truly represents the scene accurately. I.e what you see with your eye can be represented (with the right config tweaks and adjustments) closely through the camera at night. That in itself marks a fundamental shift in the power of these cams and the exciting move to usable color images at night and in 4K that will only improve over the next 1+ year !

Still a lot to do in this market segment and improvements can be made as I’ve suggested under the hood to Dahua BUT an incredible start with a powerful and capable camera.

Lastly, this cam also provides enough headroom to adjust for noise, AGC etc as I’ve shown and suggested which is great as you are not boxed in.

As @Parley and i mentioned, the future which holds varifocals and larger sensors across the board means that there are some potentially very powerful and capable cams ahead and this cam allows you to put your toe in the water now :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jhonyquest97

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can I ask a silly question or two? How much would the illumination lighting interfere with a 5442 using IR at night if they both look over a 2 car driveway from opposite corners?
I could use BI to havethe cam using IR detect motion at a distance, and activate the lights thencorrect?
Also when will the 2.8mm be available?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can I ask a silly question or two? How much would the illumination lighting interfere with a 5442 using IR at night if they both look over a 2 car driveway from opposite corners?
I could use BI to havethe cam using IR detect motion at a distance, and activate the lights thencorrect?
Also when will the 2.8mm be available?
The lighting from this would not interfere with the IR, but would probably end up improving the 5442 image as it would have more ambient light to work with.

These are not active deterrence lights on the camera nor are they motion activated lights - they are either on or off. If you could figure out the API command to turn them on or off, then you could write something in BI to accomplish that, but that is not the intended use of the LED for these cameras.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question; if the LEDs are on all the time at night, would this be a blinding light to an intruder? Is it bright enough to be like a flood light instead of a camera? As you can tell I know nothing about LED Cams...just curious...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These things are not very bright at all, which is why up until this camera I said they were more gimmicky than practical. Once you dialed in a shutter to eliminate motion blur, the image got a lot darker as I showed in my video of my other full color camera. But not with this camera.

The LEDs on these would be equivalent to holding a cellphone flashlight up on your house. Bright if you look directly at it, but nowhere near floodlight capable.

It looks about like accent lighting on the house.