Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my previous tests of other cameras, the differences between H264 and H265 was a only a few minutes of storage a day, and in showing some videos to a few people (who have no idea what H265 and H264 are) and I treated it like an eye doctor appointment LOL and showed them two videos and said which video looks better, everyone picked the video that ended up being H264, so I just default to H264, but I do have two cameras that look better in H265, so I run those in H265.

1. So when I tested this one, I only ran H264, but based on your comments, I just tried it in H265 like @Wildcat_1 just did, and mine was fine, even in Blue Iris. I am running the version that the camera came with: V2.840.15OG000.0.R, Build Date: 2021-07-09
  2. Based on the early videos and commentary @Wildcat_1 provided, I was expecting to see a narrow focus field and was pleasantly surprised that it was more of an infinity focus in my field of view. Mine was soft with me right in the lens making adjustments LOL, but my field of view produces a nice clean focus image.
  3. I agree with this one, I was surprised that isn't there. But at the same, time, this camera is probably the first one that one could run the same settings day and night and then just let the LED auto switch on when needed. When I was testing in the house when I first got it and took it to the basement with everything on default settings, I was shocked how well it performed. I walked past it and motion blur was non-existent. I chalked it up to the light bouncing off the white walls giving a false sense, but we can run this camera with such a faster shutter than other cams.
  4. I'll trade you one of my 5442s for your 4K cam LOL.
  5. Meanwhile I am amazed how well this performs at night. Blows my 5442s out of the water. So much so that I am going to try this where my 5442-Z4E is and see if the digital zoom of the 4K cam is sufficient for that field of view as I would like a wider field of view at that spot. I do agree that with the LED light on, the picture can look a little washed out, especially if there is some light shine bounce like in my sample video. Some field of view may need that LED lighting, but in my temporary location for testing, my best video has been with the LED light off and just the floodlights.
Based on my playing with the camera, I thought it was so well at default that it could be a game changer if Dahua wanted to get into the true consumer market as most of the general public just buys a camera and wants to hang it up and be done and this one has that ability AND the ability to be able to provide usable video at night. Consumer grade products to this point have the just hang it up part down, but they haven't got the part down of providing usable video at night. This camera can do both out of the box.

Maybe you got a defective unit or some firmware junk is still stuck in the memory. I would recommend the ole 3 factory resets and try again. Maybe install the firmware @Wildcat_1 is suggesting.
With this firmware, 2021-07-09 that came installed there is no way with my FOV that day and night settings could remain the same or left on default.

I've been busy with traveling back and forth taking care of things for my 97 yr old dad, that's a 100 miles away. So, I've not had a lot of time to play with this cam in depth.

@bigredfish I just tried your refresh deal, and I'm seeing that as well.

@EMPIRETECANDY sent the 6/11 firmware, I'm going to give that a shot when I get a chance.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my previous tests of other cameras, the differences between H264 and H265 was a only a few minutes of storage a day, and in showing some videos to a few people (who have no idea what H265 and H264 are) and I treated it like an eye doctor appointment LOL and showed them two videos and said which video looks better, everyone picked the video that ended up being H264, so I just default to H264, but I do have two cameras that look better in H265, so I run those in H265.

Maybe you got a defective unit or some firmware junk is still stuck in the memory. I would recommend the ole 3 factory resets and try again. Maybe install the firmware @Wildcat_1 is suggesting.
Yes, I know you have stated that, but in my case, using H265 doubles storage for me, going from a little over 2 weeks, to over 4 wks of storage on a 4tb. Not insignificant in my mind.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
In playing with mine more, I think if someone has any available light, like @EMPIRETECANDY suggests, it might be better to run this camera with the LEDs off.

But in a complete pitch dark area, like midnight with heavy cloud cover so no stars, aimed at dark grass with out "reflective" concrete or buildings around it to bounce off stray ambient light, you will be surprised how well and bright this camera performs with just the LED lights in a completely dark location.

Put it on the front of the house where there may be streetlights, neighbors porch lights on, light bouncing off the street and driveways and homes, and this camera absorbs every bit of that light and makes use of it - much better than any camera I have seen.

Normally in my testing, once I start getting faster than 1/60 shutter, with each incremental jump in shutter speed, you see the image get darker. I didn't see that with this camera and initially I thought it was broke, so I jumped to 1/4,000 shutter just to confirm the shutter was working! It is amazing how fast of a shutter you can run with this camera.
I normally run my cameras with no LEDs on as . The only exception are my 4 LPR cameras.
Yes, I know you have stated that, but in my case, using H265 doubles storage for me, going from a little over 2 weeks, to over 4 wks of storage on a 4tb. Not insignificant in my mind.
I have been using H265 myself. I cannot say that I have seen any problems with it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uploaded 6/11 firmware.
Here is the raw .dav files for those that want to view it. You can use Dahua Smart Player to view.
Using IE, and Chrome with IE tab, both exhibit the same stuttering, very obviously, on three different computers.
Set to H265,10240 bps, everything else is left at factory defaults.

Attachments

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Uploaded 6/11 firmware.
Here is the raw .dav files for those that want to view it. You can use Dahua Smart Player to view.
Using IE, and Chrome with IE tab, both exhibit the same stuttering, very obviously, on three different computers.
Set to H265,10240 bps, everything else is left at factory defaults.
@looney2ns couple of questions: 1) to confirm, those RAW dav files are from the 6/11 FW or 7/9 ? 2) Factory default after ? 3) DAV files pulled from the cam via the SD card using web GUI ? 4) Which card is in this cam just for reference ? Just want to make sure I can compare and also add to my bug if anything else is different etc

Lastly, with regards to image dial in, if you want any assistance there you know you can always DM me and am happy to help if you want it.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
For anyone running 6/24 or 7/9, I would definitely advise you try 6/11 for the picture alone. I think you'll see why I prefer 6/11 over the others and why I am asking that all bug fixes be based on it rather than 6/24 or 7/9

volm

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Wildcat,
Where can we get the 6/11 ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns couple of questions: 1) to confirm, those RAW dav files are from the 6/11 FW or 7/9 ? 2) Factory default after ? 3) DAV files pulled from the cam via the SD card using web GUI ? 4) Which card is in this cam just for reference ? Just want to make sure I can compare and also add to my bug if anything else is different etc

Lastly, with regards to image dial in, if you want any assistance there you know you can always DM me and am happy to help if you want it.
1-6/11
2-Factory default prior to upload, then factory default after.
3-Yes
4-Samsung Evo Select 64gb. I can remove the card and still see the stuttering in live view.

On 6/11, I'm now seeing the same stuttering on H264, H264H, and H265.
10240br, 30fps, 30If.
Fresh @ H264, recorded straight from the camera to the HD, with the web interface.
Too big to upload here.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns

can you turn on h265 smart codec and see if stuttering remains? and maybe turn off 2D NR ??

i have the same stuttering on live view (H264,H265 general codec) in smartpss/internet explorer BUT not with smart codec and... on my 5442 it is not recorded on sdcard, its only on live ... i connected camera direct to laptop but i havent still not factory it because no physical access... so maybe my problems are gone after "wildcats factory procedure"

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
1-6/11
2-Factory default prior to upload, then factory default after.
3-Yes
4-Samsung Evo Select 64gb. I can remove the card and still see the stuttering in live view.

On 6/11, I'm now seeing the same stuttering on H264, H264H, and H265.
10240br, 30fps, 30If.
Fresh @ H264, recorded straight from the camera to the HD, with the web interface.
Too big to upload here.
@looney2ns thanks for the replies. Don't worry about the live view for now, that speaks to the latency and performance piece I mentioned that I have a bug for. I'm currently testing a theory out against multiple FW, config etc but before I get to that a few more questions:

1. Can you tell me where you see the stuttering in this latest video ? Trust me there is method to my madness in this question :)
  2. Also can you send me (feel free to DM me) the mp4 version for this same clip, direct from camera as well ?
  3. Are you currently running any backlight program (HLC, WDR etc) ?
  4. Lastly, although I don't advocate for it, you are NOT currently running ROI, right ? :)
Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1-me walking through the scene, and I think I see some in the leaves on the tree, upper left.
2-No, not the same exact clip, as it was recorded direct to the hd, and not the SD.
3-No
4-No

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
1-me walking through the scene, and I think I see some in the leaves on the tree, upper left.
2-No, not the same exact clip, as it was recorded direct to the hd, and not the SD.
3-No
4-No
Thanks @looney2ns if/when you see this again please do send me the MP4 as well as the DAV. I've taken your clips into an editor and gone frame by frame and all looks intact currently. Doesn't mean you're not seeing an issue BUT may mean it points somewhere else and certainly if you can provide me both MP4 & DAV next time you see this would be great.

As mentioned, I am able to see some weirdness (quite a few weird things actually that do not impact 6/11) on the later FW versions I mentioned. Some I'm still running to ground which could have deep rooted codebase issues so am not ruling out don't exist in 6/11 yet and am testing some theories now as I mentioned on what could be impacting OR what the cam is actually doing that might be playing into some of those. I will then go back through the FW revisions to prove/disprove my findings. More to come on this as I dig deeper though.

I'm going to reach out over DM so I don't bore everyone here with some other things I'm going to recommend you try and some more info that would be great to have from you. I will summarize any findings from that + the work I'm doing back here to the main thread though. In the meantime to prep for a fresh test can you first (if possible) format the SD card in camera (which will also invoke a reboot) then after the cam comes back up go to System, Auto Maintain, check the Auto Delete Old Files, Customized, 1 day, then do a manual reboot. Do another test and see if you see the issue straight after the cam comes back online ?

Thanks and will reach out shortly

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns

can you turn on h265 smart codec and see if stuttering remains? and maybe turn off 2D NR ??

i have the same stuttering on live view (H264,H265 general codec) in smartpss/internet explorer BUT not with smart codec and... on my 5442 it is not recorded on sdcard, its only on live ... i connected camera direct to laptop but i havent still not factory it because no physical access... so maybe my problems are gone after "wildcats factory procedure"
Still waiting to capture some H265 video, but the h264 and h264h both are completely smooth with smart codec on.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
î checked it fast... and now i have to go to bed :wave:

stutter is ONLY on liveview and recordview in smartpss/internet explorer with general/ai codec ... smart works fine. it is also on record if i record directly from live view/record view to my harddrive. i have also the audio dropouts then

if i download a full block via webinterface (i have 8 minute default blocks) from the sdcard and watch on pc, there is no stuttering on any codec setting !

looney has a 37sec dav clip, so it must be a record with the plugin. it seems that dahua made changes to the codec and the encoder of smartpss/internet explorer plugin was not updated...

feel free to check looney :) i go to bed now...

Last edited: