Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Well considering Chrome is the most popular, closely followed by Firefox and IE, albeit with IE now retired so probably off that chart, you'd have thought Dahua would have acted by now. I'm guessing someone there can't be bothered with recoding for another browser.As for Edge, does anyone know anyone who actually uses it?
Well, remember friends don’t let friends use Edge ;)

XDRDX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well considering Chrome is the most popular, closely followed by Firefox and IE, albeit with IE now retired so probably off that chart, you'd have thought Dahua would have acted by now. I'm guessing someone there can't be bothered with recoding for another browser.As for Edge, does anyone know anyone who actually uses it?
A lot of businesses that use Microsoft/Office 365 products use edge because of it supporting full single sign on with Azure AD and having strong group policy support.
Other browsers such as Chrome have randomly decided to break its own group policies and/or stop supporting them without documenting or releasing the fact that it stopped supporting a group policy feature.
I have had fairly good luck using Windows 11 and Edge in IE mode to configure my IPC-Color4k-T so that adds to the reasons to use Edge also.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the modern Edge browser.
It's basically chrome wearing a different jacket.
Not my first choice for a direct browser for sure but running it in IE mode as myself and others mentioned does give people options until Dahua works on plug-in compatibility and expanding across other browsers as I mentioned. Better yet, browser agnostic version.

Also when testing the A180 & 4K-T’s I did test using Edge in IE mode for the follow up time plan and exposure control testingI showed in the video.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Bug / minor quibble for next firmware update: The Device Model description under System Info has been removed. This is my first firmware update from 3.0.0.0 Build Date 2022-08-26 to V3.120.0000000.12.R, Build Date: 2023-01-05, so Im not sure if it was removed in a prior update.
It's a bug, will have a new update version will be ready at early March, i will post here for a testing when we get the beta version, will try to make a perfect fw on these cool 4K full color cams.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What an unfortunately and uneducated quote. Edge is based on Chromium, same source code as Chrome, Opera, Brave and others. If you guys want to avoid corporations, then use Thor browser as Mozilla Firefox is mostly funded by Google for example, it is not the hippie movement browser you may think. Spreading misleading information without understanding the subject is not nice to the community.

Edge has an "edge" already over Chrome as it has several bugs fixed by Microsoft that the open-source project was dragging their feet to resolve which has so far been implemented in Edge only. Whoever talks bollocks about Edge clearly has no understanding about the underlying technology and most likely use another "chrome like" browser, which is based on the same source code, so what is the point? Any website that works in Chrome, will ALWAYS work on Edge, Opera and Brave. It is the same engine!

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not my first choice for a direct browser for sure but running it in IE mode as myself and others mentioned does give people options until Dahua works on plug-in compatibility and expanding across other browsers as I mentioned. Better yet, browser agnostic version.

Also when testing the A180 & 4K-T’s I did test using Edge in IE mode for the follow up time plan and exposure control testingI showed in the video.
Browser is a choice as much as which toilet paper you want to use, each one prefers a different touch where it matters. Stating everyone needs to use sandpaper to wipe their backdoors is not good advice, especially since the softwrae is defunct.

If I was the large corp like Axion, or whatever large company it may be, all my CCTV installer would be using corporate issue devices, single sign on, secured, encrypted locked down. Now, because Dahua can't get 3 developers to work for 3 months to port their activex code to react which every other company in the planet has already done, I need to open the door to use IE mode. Now next time we need to do cyber security insurance policy, there is a question "have you taken all reasonable security measures on your endpoints to ensure no obvious security threats have a way in?" then you answer yes/no. Next one, you are Maersk, a global shipping company having all their logistics halted for weeks due to ransomware into their network through a compromised endpoint. And guess what? They insurance will not cover it. Not folklore, not myth, not a legend. It has happened.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems you put some on Edge with your comment, LOL

I am with you, Edge sucks, I know several in IT that has had nothing but problems with it...mostly with their custom Web Apps. Not saying a rewrite would not fix their issues, but why, just use a browser that works, problem solved.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
What an unfortunately and uneducated quote. Edge is based on Chromium, same source code as Chrome, Opera, Brave and others. If you guys want to avoid corporations, then use Thor browser as Mozilla Firefox is mostly funded by Google for example, it is not the hippie movement browser you may think. Spreading misleading information without understanding the subject is not nice to the community.

Edge has an "edge" already over Chrome as it has several bugs fixed by Microsoft that the open-source project was dragging their feet to resolve which has so far been implemented in Edge only. Whoever talks bollocks about Edge clearly has no understanding about the underlying technology and most likely use another "chrome like" browser, which is based on the same source code, so what is the point? Any website that works in Chrome, will ALWAYS work on Edge, Opera and Brave. It is the same engine!

Seems you put some on Edge with your comment, LOL

I am with you, Edge sucks, I know several in IT that has had nothing but problems with it...mostly with their custom Web Apps. Not saying a rewrite would not fix their issues, but why, just use a browser that works, problem solved.
haha, I see what you did there @David L ;)

@mephisto_uk 'spreading misleading information' ! Not sure where that came from as my thoughts on Edge through my experience are my own, as are yours. Regardless, as we all continue to state, this is why it's nice when everyone has a choice and a browser agnostic device. Some people like Edge, some hate it, others tolerate it (in whatever flavor). IE isn't fantastic either BUT it's what we have to use right now (or Edge in IE mode as I mentioned) while Dahua and other manufacturers work on improving / supporting other browsers or the agnostic approach I mentioned. All on this forum and elsewhere also have choices in the security field, if you don't like one product, service, FW, platform, we have options based on deployment needs and target requirements from a multitude of manufacturers for a given project or identified need.

Either way, as long as the camera does what it says on the tin from a feature/function perspective towards its security focus thats the key. We have GUI workarounds for now such as NVR configuring the camera, Web GUI using IE, Edge in IE mode, Firefox (with new FW that supports its use) OR booting up old laptops running Win 7 (yep I have a few kicking around of those too). Not perfect but that is why I and others here keep pushing for the changes across all CCTV manufacturers we work with to get this needed support implemented. Remember, we have an advantage on this forum in that that many of us actively work with development teams as we pull apart new cams, systems and associated FW for the forum and our professions, in doing so highlighting bugs, enhancements, improvements, security issues etc. We also identify real-life use cases from the deployments we do that a lot of manufacturers don't take into account. With regards to feedback on bugs, improvements and issues, Dahua has done a TON OF WORK on these, often times within hours of reporting the feedback. Working with Dahua dev directly has led to a lot of positive results for all of us. Yes, on the flip side, I and others have put a LOT (and that is an understatement so I will restate, A LOT) of work into identifying these, finding break points, building solutions and recommendations for Dahua to review/implement but at least we all here have a manufacturer that listens and an additional advocate in @EMPIRETECANDY who helps keep the spotlight on these and get them prioritized. Doesn't mean everything gets resolved or implemented BUT this collaboration leads to a better end product and experience for all of us, often times before product release/production lines start.

Therefore, personally, I am appreciative of what Dahua is doing to address issues even if some take longer to implement. Don't think for 1 second that I (and I'm sure many others) disagree that browser support is a critical function, it is and addressing the plugin situation is key (have fed this back many times including latest FW releases on new platform). I have faith though that this WILL be addressed by Dahua and others and although they haven't gotten there yet, will do, or risk being non-competitive to their brother/sister competitors focusing on cross platform, cross browser support for more seamless integration in this critical area of security.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Browser is a choice as much as which toilet paper you want to use, each one prefers a different touch where it matters. Stating everyone needs to use sandpaper to wipe their backdoors is not good advice, especially since the softwrae is defunct.
I think there are people who don't trust MS with privacy and data gathering. Hence why many prefer other choices such as Chrome / Chrome Based (add in Vivaldi here) or FF. Whether they're any better in that regard, is another matter.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I checked the issue about the WebSocketServer" thing..
it's a reminder for those who haven't install the plugin, the web5.0 still reminder to install the plugin, but can ignore it, it's mainly for AI settings, so when the IVS triggered it will require to set up the plugin on some browser. So that is why you get such reminder.

TheOtherMike

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FYI - My camera glitched this morning.

I have my 2nd IPC-Color4K-T in a temp setup just to experiment. It is running V3.120.0000000.12.R, Build Date: 2023-01-05 from EmpireTech.
It is configured for "Self-Adaptive" working mode with SSA backlight. I've noticed that is struggles a bit when "switching" for example from night to day - it flip-flops back and forth for a while, sometimes a long while.

This morning the image was completely white. This was a couple of hours after it was flip-flopping.
I logged into the camera with web browser and response was very sluggish. The browser never produced an image like it normally would. Navigating the settings menu took forever.
I suspect it got "stuck" trying to self-adapt.
Eventually rebooted via menu and it came back ok.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can turn on/off LEDs via a HTTP GET/POST to camera API?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can turn on/off LEDs via a HTTP GET/POST to camera API?
This camera does not follow the standard API from the previous API documentation and doesn't follow even the latest documentation. I have tried tons of combinations and think they have it tied to a profile.

See this post in this thread where I was able to figure out how to change from day and night profile via API.

So my hack has been to leave it in day settings 24/7, which with this camera with some light is possible, and then call the night profile via API when another camera at night triggers to turn this light on.

Not a perfect solution and won't work for everyone, but it is the only work-around we have for the moment.