What are security camera enthusiasts gonna do when most Chinese cameras are banned for sale in US come Nov., 2022?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above!!!!!!

You only go through Dahua servers if you P2P.

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use no Dahua servers or other P2P/cloud servers. Cameras are connected to Blue Iris ("BI") VMS. I use Pushover with BI to send me a notification.

BI server has 2 NIC's, cams are on their own subnet (NIC #1), off of Internet and notify BI, BI is on another subnet (NIC #2) with access to Internet, BI notifies Pushover, Pushover notifies my phone (Pushover app) in less than 3 seconds of alert occurrence.

Pushover is $5 one time, smartphone app is included, has an API.
Thanks for the Pushover idea. I'll give it a try. I use IFTT now, but always looking for something quicker and simpler.

Lass

n3wb
Reaction score
I use no Dahua servers or other P2P/cloud servers. Cameras are connected to Blue Iris ("BI") VMS. I use Pushover with BI to send me a notification.

BI server has 2 NIC's, cams are on their own subnet (NIC #1), off of Internet and notify BI, BI is on another subnet (NIC #2) with access to Internet, BI notifies Pushover, Pushover notifies my phone (Pushover app) in less than 3 seconds of alert occurrence.

Pushover is $5 one time, smartphone app is included, has an API.
I see. (I’m not a techy person, so please excuse my non-techy language). When you said, you keep your cameras off the internet, I thought you meant completely eliminating the internet from the loop, like grid down. In other words, if your cameras and computer were running on battery power, and your phone was within range of your home LAN, and you had no access to the internet or cell service, you would still get push notifications to your phone. That the BI software could circumvent the internet somehow and send notifications via Wi-Fi (no internet) to your phone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see. (I’m not a techy person, so please excuse my non-techy language). When you said, you keep your cameras off the internet, I thought you meant completely eliminating the internet from the loop, like grid down. In other words, if your cameras and computer were running on battery power, and your phone was within range of your home LAN, and you had no access to the internet or cell service, you would still get push notifications to your phone. That the BI software could circumvent the internet somehow and send notifications via Wi-Fi (no internet) to your phone.
A simplified schematic of the topology, courtesy of @samplenhold :

Network Topology 2NICs.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind in the scenario that we are discussing and pointed out above, we can still see our cameras while on home LAN without access to the internet or cell service....unlike cloud based or using P2P that needs internet access in order to see the cameras.

Lass

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind in the scenario that we are discussing and pointed out above, we can still see our cameras while on home LAN without access to the internet or cell service....unlike cloud based or using P2P that needs internet access in order to see the cameras.
So do you have to watch the off-internet cameras on your LAN by using your computer screen, or can you broadcast the camera video wirelessly to your phone without internet or cell service?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So do you have to watch the off-internet cameras on your LAN by using your computer screen, or can you broadcast the camera video wirelessly to your phone without internet or cell service?
If you are at home connected to your home wifi, you can watch the cameras from any device on the same network without internet or cell service. And then when not on the home network, with internet or cell service, you OpenVPN back into your home network to review them remotely.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The latter. You phone over WiFi is a client on your local network and you can access the cams or a VMS like Blue Iris (depending on how set up) directly on the same network. Basically, as you would a drive share or printer or other local resource/device on your network.

lars2k1

n3wb
Reaction score
Why would they even ban those? Other than politicians having a boomer mentality and saying everything foreign is bad I don't see any other reasons. You'd keep a professional camera install offline anyways.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How is the gov going to block the cameras from the internet? Are they using something from the chipset in the cameras and the ISP have to install some sw to block?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's your responsibility to block the cameras from the internet. Either put them on a separate NIC and LAN in a VMS or by using an NVR which does that by default is the simplest method. Using a VLAN on an "intelligent" switch is another method but requires more work in terms of administration creating the VLANs and setting their routing in the switch to keep the cameras off the internet. This is not rocket science, just best practice and actually very simple to do.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Very simple to in our books, but for the majority of consumers, they just want something set and done. Some aren't as tech savvy...some aren't as handy...some don't want to take the time to learn...or are simply too lazy to take responsibility. Take one of my neighbors for example. It took me years to convince him to finally do something. :(

It's your responsibility to block the cameras from the internet. Either put them on a separate NIC and LAN in a VMS or by using an NVR which does that by default is the simplest method. Using a VLAN on an "intelligent" switch is another method but requires more work in terms of administration creating the VLANs and setting their routing in the switch to keep the cameras off the internet. This is not rocket science, just best practice and actually very simple to do.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Why would they even ban those? Other than politicians having a boomer mentality and saying everything foreign is bad I don't see any other reasons. You'd keep a professional camera install offline anyways.
Using your reasoning 'Everything Foreign is bad" theory makes NO sense. The US Gov as usual was way behind the curve of figuring out national security risks and Chinese state sponsored Cameras in sensitive US Gov buildings and facilities was deemed a Really bad Idea. Plus it was also a way to punish the PRC on trade. I would guess Most of the security cameras in the US are Foreign, Axis is and Uniview are "Foreign" and are popping up all over the place in Gov facilities now. Not Sure how you are connecting the dots to "Boomer =Conservative either, makes no sense at all. Are you talking Baby Boomer? I would guess around a bit less than half of the US population would consider themselves conservatives and Baby boomers are a part of that but by no means ALL of them. The Baby boomer age group ends at age 57 now, We have a lot of younger conservative politicians under age 57 and the ranks are growing, the people in charge now are the total opposite of conservatives. and it shows EVERYWHERE. Nuff said about that. Did they reverse the ban? they have reversed just about of everything else but not this ban? Why?