What are security camera enthusiasts gonna do when most Chinese cameras are banned for sale in US come Nov., 2022?

ttplayer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. I'm aware of possible actions to minimize external access to our security cameras: e.g., Looking to replace an aging system and what else can i do to secure my network? any advice or tips

2. Ban notice likely in Nov. when FCC prohibits USA certification and thus sale: FCC to Ban Hikvision, Dahua Cameras, in all USA Facilities

3. Certainly I don't plan to junk all my existing 50+ cameras (Hik and Dahua) at my houses and monitored locations BUT
A. Should I buy more of my current brand cameras now to carry me thru a transition period when new manufacturers ramp up production and demand is not so critically high by those in more urgent need?

B. Plan to do slow migration to newer cameras approved for US sales? Would have to move off my camera specific software (yah, I know it's clunky and antiquated but it's been serviceable for me)

C. Upgrade existing firmware now to most current or just leave AS IS (if upgrade fails, I may be hosed)?

What are others more in the know planning to do?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a good read, and in particular post #52. Basically unless you are a government agency, you can keep buying.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. I'm aware of possible actions to minimize external access to our security cameras: e.g., Looking to replace an aging system and what else can i do to secure my network? any advice or tips

2. Ban notice likely in Nov. when FCC prohibits USA certification and thus sale: FCC to Ban Hikvision, Dahua Cameras, in all USA Facilities

3. Certainly I don't plan to junk all my existing 50+ cameras (Hik and Dahua) at my houses and monitored locations BUT
A. Should I buy more of my current brand cameras now to carry me thru a transition period when new manufacturers ramp up production and demand is not so critically high by those in more urgent need?

B. Plan to do slow migration to newer cameras approved for US sales? Would have to move off my camera specific software (yah, I know it's clunky and antiquated but it's been serviceable for me)

C. Upgrade existing firmware now to most current or just leave AS IS (if upgrade fails, I may be hosed)?

FYI - for products like IP Security Cameras, do expect limited firmware updates regardless .. vendors can not support firmware updates beyond a certain period of time for most products.
( applies to apple, google, microsoft products also .. )

So do protect your cameras from the internet access ..

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

A few thoughts on this, Existing systems are all over the place in local municipalities, Most of these places do not even know they have them because they are re-branded nor do they care and will not pull them out. Who would enforce this? Systems that were put in before the ban and are running fine most likely will stay running. A lot of installers and re-sellers were scrambling to find replacements like Uniview, They are Chinese also, whats to say the Feds won't expand this list to Include them next year? I know Installers who were still Installing Dahua rebranded stuff after the fact. As long as they did not use any federal or grant money, they should be fine. Whats Next, Armed federal Camera Agents ripping out systems? Oh wait, in this day and age, nothing would surprise me anymore.

ttplayer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is a good read, and in particular post #52. Basically unless you are a government agency, you can keep buying.

Thanks. Agree.

After a more thorough review of HR3919 bill and FCC action (see List of Equipment and Services Covered By Section 2 of The Secure Networks Act or ), banning of Hikvision / Dahua security camera sales applies primarily to governmental agencies or "critical infrastructure".

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^Exactly. Most of us here are not considered a government agency or critical infrastructure LOL.

This is simply other manufacturer's attempts to scare tactic people away from purchasing these brands and buy theirs instead...

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are basically 4 levels these cctv systems fall under:
1. really low end that doesn't have any expand ability, some uses proprietary connections so only their cameras work, most require port forwarding, low end cameras with no upgrade ability. Usually only sold as a diy solution at big box stores. under $50/cam, NVR: under $200

2. low end that expands, have platform access, but poor build quality in cameras and NVR, Has all the features of better cameras, but just don't have the computing power to achieve multiple functions or certain settings brings down the quality of the picture. Cams: under $500 NVR: under $2000

3. medium end that can accept many brands, have any function combination set and it doesn't degrade performance, better optics, motors, active weather resistant systems (cooling/de-icing). More complex features work better than lower ends. Cams under $2500 NVR under $3000

4. High end The best optics, the best computing power in all devices, have more intelligent programming and features, even more enhanced internal climate controls in cameras. Cams under $5000 NVR under $10000

I rarely install a 4, only high end commercial places I've installed 3 s, but most are 2s, and I don't install 1s

Brand doesn't mean anything when the traitors of the people in the electronics industry pulls out of the US makes a bunch of chips, ic, cameras, televisions, computers, cameras, etc. With cheap labor and build quality (at most of the time). Then expect to raise the price of them once they moved back to the US after in fluxing their slave labor and imposing a ban on products they haven't rebranded.

So, how many of those NDAA compliant cameras have parts from China?
Why do they look exactly like the ones you can get from China?
Why does all the software look the same or looks like the same people wrote them (3 distinct styles across all manufacturers I delt with so far)?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My answer to your post title of "What are security camera enthusiasts gonna do when most Chinese cameras are banned for sale in US come Nov., 2022?"

I'll continue doing what I've been doing since my first cam in 2013....keep them off the Internet.....easy-peasy lemon-squeezy! :cool:

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In March 2022 one of my federal government customers called for service on a camera product not related to IP cameras. Before I could proceed I had to sign the form below.

Recently Congress updated the National Defense Authorization Act, Section 889 (NDAA 889), (Pub. L.
115-232) for the use of purchase cards. The new law Congress passed prohibits the Federal Government
from doing business with vendors who sell or use certain telecommunications equipment (including
video surveillance equipment) or services from the following companies, their subsidiaries, and
affiliates. The prohibited companies are:
 Huawei Technologies Company
 ZTE Corporation
 Hytera Communications Corporation
 Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Company
 Dahua Technology Company
In order to comply with this Congressional mandate, we are now required to get certification from our
vendors prior to making any purchases, whether they use or provide products manufactured by the
Chinese companies listed above to the Government.
Attached is the NDAA 889 Certification form. Please read the certification and fill out the highlighted
sections. If your company does not use products or will not be providing products manufactured by the
above companies, please mark the attached certification in the highlighted section with “will not” and
“does not” and complete the company information at the bottom of the certification. Please return the
completed and signed certification to me by _.
Until we receive the signed and completed form, we cannot make purchases from your company.
Thank you in advance for completing and returning this form.

Even though I did not sell them any of the above products, I could not do work for them in the future since I am a dealer for Dahua and use their products. I did not sign the form.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Ummm speak for yourself, my outdoor bar and my swimming pool are very critical infrastructures around here!
Not very believable.
<critical infrastructure test>
I'm going to need you to pour 20oz of your finest pilsner, rustle up a shot of patron silver chilled, and I'd like to see your appetizer menu. Where are the house towels? Are they heated?
</critical infrastructure test>
:rofl:

Lass

n3wb
Reaction score
My answer to your post title of "What are security camera enthusiasts gonna do when most Chinese cameras are banned for sale in US come Nov., 2022?"

I'll continue doing what I've been doing since my first cam in 2013....keep them off the Internet.....easy-peasy lemon-squeezy! :cool:
So does that mean you don’t get any notifications to your phone? I thought notifications had to be generated by going through the Dahua server first before going to your phone? So do you get phone notifications with your cameras being off the internet?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So does that mean you don’t get any notifications to your phone? I thought notifications had to be generated by going through the Dahua server first before going to your phone? So do you get phone notifications with your cameras being off the internet?
I use no Dahua servers or other P2P/cloud servers. Cameras are connected to Blue Iris ("BI") VMS. I use Pushover with BI to send me a notification.

BI server has 2 NIC's, cams are on their own subnet (NIC #2), off of Internet and notify BI, BI is on another subnet (NIC #1) with access to Internet, BI notifies Pushover, Pushover notifies my phone (Pushover app) in less than 3 seconds of alert occurrence.

Pushover is $5 one time, smartphone app is included, has an API.

Last edited: