[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

Reaction score
Probably a very simple question (hopefully) - how do I put my ddns address into the trigger url?
If I put in my current public IP it triggers BI the way it's supposed to but I can't figure out what I'm meant to do with ddns so I don't have to keep updating the trigger url's in AI Tool and the web server WAN address in BI.
Any help appreciated.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just finished configuring my BI server with the AITool integration and seems to be working! I am seeing an issue in the log and wanted to know if it is any concern. The message states "WARNING: No default camera found. Aborting"

Editing this to add some more information. I have DeepQuestAI installed on a Linux VM and BI is running on a Windows VM. I am getting clips from the HD camera feeds and can see that AITool is detecting and triggering properly. It seems this warning message appears after every trigger.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.58.22 AM.png

Last edited:

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably a very simple question (hopefully) - how do I put my ddns address into the trigger url?
If I put in my current public IP it triggers BI the way it's supposed to but I can't figure out what I'm meant to do with ddns so I don't have to keep updating the trigger url's in AI Tool and the web server WAN address in BI.
Any help appreciated.
Can you clarify your configuration? Are aitool and BI installed on different computer's ? Assuming aitool and BI are on the same network I do not see a need to use ddns.

If for some reason you are forced to use ddns this might work for you
Add the necessary commands for your trigger command. I use this to remotely change profiles so it should work.

Remember to setup port forwarding!

Last edited:

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just finished configuring my BI server with the AITool integration and seems to be working! I am seeing an issue in the log and wanted to know if it is any concern. The message states "WARNING: No default camera found. Aborting"
Is your system fully functional if you ignore the message?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I could ignore it, but I just wated to make sure it wasn't an issue. I did not find anything using Google Fu so I thought I would ask here.
I have reported a couple of issues related to the Default Camera that arose on a recent build. Apparently although the Default does not appear to do anything it is required and should not be deleted. You might want to confirm that it is not selected as being active in your configuration!

It might also be worth compiling and testing the latest version at it has changes associated with the Default Camera.

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have reported a couple of issues related to the Default Camera that arose on a recent build. Apparently although the Default does not appear to do anything it is required and should not be deleted. You might want to confirm that it is not selected as being active in your configuration!

It might also be worth compiling and testing the latest version at it has changes associated with the Default Camera.
Thanks @Village Guy I looked at the AITool setting but do not understand where the Default Camera setting is. Can you explain more about how to confirm that a default camera is not selected?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @Village Guy I looked at the AITool setting but do not understand where the Default Camera setting is. Can you explain more about how to confirm that a default camera is not selected?
Choose Camera's and the Default Camera should be listed at the top. You can select "Enable AI detection for this camera" on the right, choose if it is to be active or not.Default Camera.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you clarify your configuration? Are aitool and BI installed on different computer's ? Assuming aitool and BI are on the same network I do not see a need to use ddns.

If for some reason you are forced to use ddns this might work for you
Add the necessary commands for your trigger command. I use this to remotely change profiles so it should work.

Remember to setup port forwarding!
Latest version BI and AI Tool 1.65 both installed on a Win10 machine. TBH I'm still getting my head around it all but I think I'm doing the ddns thing so I can run a VPN for remote access, both to BI and to my Home Assistant.
Everything I read tells me a VPN is the preferred way to remote access because you don't have to forward / open any ports? Saying that I do currently have port 81 forwarded and if I just use my current public IP I can access BI remotely too.
I just tried your suggestion, if I understand it correctly, and put [admin] in front of my [ddns url] followed by [:81] and my trigger command. Still getting an error in AI Tool and no trigger sent.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Latest version BI and AI Tool 1.65 both installed on a Win10 machine. TBH I'm still getting my head around it all but I think I'm doing the ddns thing so I can run a VPN for remote access, both to BI and to my Home Assistant.
Everything I read tells me a VPN is the preferred way to remote access because you don't have to forward / open any ports? Saying that I do currently have port 81 forwarded and if I just use my current public IP I can access BI remotely too.
I just tried your suggestion, if I understand it correctly, and put [admin] in front of my [ddns url] followed by [:81] and my trigger command. Still getting an error in AI Tool and no trigger sent.
OK I think you are way ahead of yourself. First of all Aitool V1.65 is very very old and I highly recommend that you install the vorlonCD version which I believe most people are using.

Before you do that it might be a good idea to get everything working and become familiar with its operation.
Putting aside remote access which is really a whole new ball game, have you got everything working using local ip addresses? Once you get that working we can deal with remote access.

Reaction score
OK I think you are way ahead of yourself. First of all Aitool V1.65 is very very old and I highly recommend that you install the vorlonCD version which I believe most people are using.

Before you do that it might be a good idea to get everything working and become familiar with its operation.
Putting aside remote access which is really a whole new ball game, have you got everything working using local ip addresses? Once you get that working we can deal with remote access.
Yep, if I just use my current public IP in the AI Tool trigger command and in BI's web server WAN setting it all works.
I installed BI, AI Tool and Deepstack following a youtube vid from The Hook Up, who does a lot of Home Assistant stuff. His video was from early 2020 and he installed AI Tool 1.65. When I first downloaded it I went with 1.67 but I couldn't see how to make it access my Deepstack which is installed in a docker container on the same VM as my Home Assistant. So I installed 1.65 instead and got everything working.

So like I said, I've got everything working including remote access via my VPN, but every time I reboot my router or whenever my ISP decides, I get a new public IP and then I've got to update that IP in each camera in AI Tool and the BI web server, and anything else I'm using with remote access, hence the ddns.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, if I just use my current public IP in the AI Tool trigger command and in BI's web server WAN setting it all works.
I installed BI, AI Tool and Deepstack following a youtube vid from The Hook Up, who does a lot of Home Assistant stuff. His video was from early 2020 and he installed AI Tool 1.65. When I first downloaded it I went with 1.67 but I couldn't see how to make it access my Deepstack which is installed in a docker container on the same VM as my Home Assistant. So I installed 1.65 instead and got everything working.

So like I said, I've got everything working including remote access via my VPN, but every time I reboot my router or whenever my ISP decides, I get a new public IP and then I've got to update that IP in each camera in AI Tool and the BI web server, and anything else I'm using with remote access, hence the ddns.
You keep referring to your public address! If you are running everything from one platform I recommend you get everything working using your local IP addresses. Public addresses come later ;)

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Choose Camera's and the Default Camera should be listed at the top. You can select "Enable AI detection for this camera" on the right, choose if it is to be active or not.View attachment 83492
Seems that I deleted the default camer and that is what is causing the error messages. I tried to create a new one named Default but that did not work, so I may just go ahead and re-install the AITool from scratch.

jz3082

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

If you have the VPN working just use the local IP address and port of BI. You will access it remotely by connecting to your VPN and then to your local IP and port. This simplifies everything. If you have port forwarding or are using Stunnel you can shut them off because your VPN gives you access to your network. When I am out of my network I start a VPN connection. Then I open UI3 or RDP into BI with the same LAN address that I use on my network.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just upgraded and noticed the default camera. What is it used for?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just upgraded and noticed the default camera. What is it used for?
It will pick up any file in the default folder and analyze it if it isn't named (input file begins with) for any other camera. (It's always been there in all versions).

atmelton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

I was not able to get the UI to show when I installed the VorlonCD version so I went back and installed AITool 1.67 and it is working fine with no errors. As the VorlonCD version is the newest, I would like to use it. I installed it by unzipping it over my current config but still no UI when trying to start aitool.exe. What am I doing wrong here?

ManFromKC

n3wb
Reaction score
I was not able to get the UI to show when I installed the VorlonCD version so I went back and installed AITool 1.67 and it is working fine with no errors. As the VorlonCD version is the newest, I would like to use it. I installed it by unzipping it over my current config but still no UI when trying to start aitool.exe. What am I doing wrong here?
You can try another. Maybe a bad zip. I posted the newest version .760 in both a RAR and ZIP format. Just need to go back one page.