Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing else at all, just this cam.

Cam is zoomed fully out, As I zoom in the stripes disappear, so I guess it's the two darker areas of the glass that I'm seeing. Is that to be expected?

I should say I think considering the lack of light the picture is pretty good, apart from the darker areas.
I suspect it is the intent of the camera - the lens is completely within the clear part of the dome, so the darker areas really don't come into play.

A big issue many of us with other PTZs (or other cameras for that matter) see is that the IR spread is wider than the field of view for the camera, so a lot of it is wasted light that if it were focused more to the field of view, it would provide a better image since the infrared would all be focused to a tighter area.

So what you are seeing as you zoom in is that they have created a tighter spread of IR to concentrate it, which will be very beneficial at tighter zooms. At 15-25 zoom, any part of the area getting IR that is not in the field of view is wasted IR, so concentrating the IR pattern to a smaller area makes a lot of sense.

You are probably on zoom priority and that may play a role as well?

If it is really bugging someone, when the dome is off we can see the IR so a simple tug or loosening the screw to aim it a little out would expand the wide range of the infrared.

Last edited:

jparrie

n3wb
Reaction score
Zoom Priority - I had to look that up, I now know what it means and found the setting, which is off. I'll try again tonight when its dark.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I am set to Manual and not Zoom Priority, if that makes a difference.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would this cam be usable for night time LPR at ~100ft? Daytime person tracking would be nice, but with some 5442s for night surveillance, it might be nice to have something that could be dual-purpose...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZs are tough for LPR duty at night because of the focus issue. You can set a fixed focus on fixed cam but not with a PTZ.

If you use a PTZ for LPR then you need to run it in night mode well before it gets dark so that it can see something to focus on.

Keep in mind that at night the image will be all black due to the fast shutter needed and cannot be used for anything but LPR at night.

If you can live with that then you could use it at 100 feet.

hawkeye217

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PTZs are tough for LPR duty at night because of the focus issue. You can set a fixed focus on fixed cam but not with a PTZ.

If you use a PTZ for LPR then you need to run it in night mode well before it gets dark so that it can see something to focus on.

Keep in mind that at night the image will be all black due to the fast shutter needed and cannot be used for anything but LPR at night.

If you can live with that then you could use it at 100 feet.
I already automate a number of things on my 5442s through Home Assistant, so I could easily set it into night mode before it gets dark. I knew the image would be all black and could only be used for LPR, but I wasn't thinking about the variable focus issue on PTZs. Makes sense.

The neighborhood has had some sketchy vehicles coming down the road at night recently with their lights off, so it might be worth it to give it a try.

Thanks!

jparrie

n3wb
Reaction score
So tried using Zoom Priority/Manual/Auto and the results are exactly the same, makes no difference. It's because I'm zoomed fully out I guess.

One more unrelated question - Can the AI person tracking be set up while using the camera in scan mode? i.e, would tracking initiate while scanning? Can that even be programmed into it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So tried using Zoom Priority/Manual/Auto and the results are exactly the same, makes no difference. It's because I'm zoomed fully out I guess.

One more unrelated question - Can the AI person tracking be set up while using the camera in scan mode? i.e, would tracking initiate while scanning? Can that even be programmed into it?
No, tracking can only be initiated by an IVS rule in a preset.

We would recommend not using scan patrol. These things are only rated for so many cycles and too many continuous 24/7 scans and you can hit that limit in 2 years or so.

You are better off setting up spotter cams to point the PTZ to where the action is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wittaj, could you explain (to another 1st time PTZ'er) a little more about how to do this?

Dennis
See this thread I created with instructions on how to set up autotrack in the camera and then how to set up spotter cams in BI and an NVR.

LunaBrille

n3wb
Reaction score
does this camera have a microphone? I received mine today and while it isn't the end of the world, it does not appear to have audio like its little bother or the 2mp starlight dahua cams I have.

thanks to Loony and all the other contributors to this thread.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does this camera have a microphone? I received mine today and while it isn't the end of the world, it does not appear to have audio like its little bother or the 2mp starlight dahua cams I have.

thanks to Loony and all the other contributors to this thread.
No it does not because all you would hear is the PTZ gears and fan LOL.

It does have an audio in that you could add one.

Reaction score
Hello all, I recieved my mini ptz today and hooked it up to my laptop to test it out and change ip address. When told to download and install plugin, everything went as planned( edge in explorer mode). I completed setup and ip change.
When I mounted cam and logged in at my desktop, (not BI machine) again with edge in IE mode, was again told to download and install plugin, and when trying to install I get this error-
1680660274764.png
Why is this happening? Thanks, Jerry

Reaction score
Hello all, I recieved my mini ptz today and hooked it up to my laptop to test it out and change ip address. When told to download and install plugin, everything went as planned( edge in explorer mode). I completed setup and ip change.
When I mounted cam and logged in at my desktop, (not BI machine) again with edge in IE mode, was again told to download and install plugin, and when trying to install I get this error-
View attachment 159153
Why is this happening? Thanks, Jerry
Disregard, eighth time's a charm!

Attachments