Review-Dahua/EmpireTech new doorbell cam Db6l 5mp

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
After setup, the app is only needed for 2-way voice communication. Everything else can be done in other ways.
I've left it installed for that reason, but I have all the camera streams going through Frigate and notifications from Home Assistant.
If you have no use for 2-way voice, then you don't need the app. Though an argument could be made that without 2-way voice there are other, better, cameras instead of a doorbell one.

just heard about Frigate from another forum? What can you tell me about it? How well does it work, etc.

better / differnet than blue iris?

Raby

n3wb
Reaction score
wow I am shocked , the specs say 124° (Horizontal) (found online) ,and it feels like 90 in the videos
so is it really 124 ? because I need a doorbell and I have a hard time deciding on the correct FOV , so I am willing to use this review as a reference.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can multiple people receive notifications via the DMSS app at the same time for the db61? So if eg 3 people are home (or not) they will all get the notification of doorbell press and snapshots etc.

Duh987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
just heard about Frigate from another forum? What can you tell me about it? How well does it work, etc.

better / differnet than blue iris?
I use it, I like it a lot. I do not use it as a 24/7 NVR, I leave that to my amcrest nvr. Not because it could not be used as such but harder with how I have it installed. I use it for smart detections inside home assistant. If you want one do-it all app you will not get that with Frigate at this time. You will need to link it to another app such as home assistant if you want notifications and alerts. Where it shines though is that it can be run on less HW than blue Iris, once you have a google coral. It doesn't require Windows, this is the biggest win in my book. Other than that it is under heavy development because of the traction it has gotten in the home assistant world. It is very good at identifying people, and cars. Dogs, and cats can get confused. It's highly customizable and blake is working on other detection models for things like UPS right now. I have it tied into doubletake for facial rec and that works well, I wouldn't trust double-take for security but it is fun to have custom messages played over my google homes when it is family or the delivery guy. I also have it linked to plate-minder for LPR.

If you are like me and want something lightweight and hate running windows servers or don't want to put out the cash to try machine learning AI it's great. If you want a do it all and all-in-one solution then blue iris is a good choice. The third option which I have been toying with is just using AI cameras and an NVR. Honestly, the easiest and I am starting to think is the best option, harder to think about doing as it is going to require replacing cameras I have already purchased but I have been happy with my AI amcrest and I am replacing my Ezviz DB1 with an Amcrest ad410 with AI today if it shows up today. I want the Ad410 for more home assistant integration reasons but I want to mess with its ai too.

Snowlie

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed this doorbell cam yesterday. The only issue I’m having is that I can’t playback any of the motion detection alert videos. I can see the thumbnail of it in the DMSS app but if I try to play the video, I get the “Connection Failed” error.

Interestingly, if I manually record a video or take a snapshot from the Live View mode, I can playback those videos and view those images with no problems.

Is this some sort of issue/glitch with the DMSS app itself or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just installed this doorbell cam yesterday. The only issue I’m having is that I can’t playback any of the motion detection alert videos. I can see the thumbnail of it in the DMSS app but if I try to play the video, I get the “Connection Failed” error.

Interestingly, if I manually record a video or take a snapshot from the Live View mode, I can playback those videos and view those images with no problems.

Is this some sort of issue/glitch with the DMSS app itself or am I missing something?

@looney2ns could you help check this?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Did you add the camera to DMSS as a P2P setup?
That's the only way everything will work correctly with this cam.
It won't work setup as "Local".

Snowlie

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you add the camera to DMSS as a P2P setup?
That's the only way everything will work correctly with this cam.
It won't work setup as "Local".
I figured out the issue today!

My microSD card was using the exFAT file system by default. I had to format the card to use the FAT32 file system.The problem appears to be solved as I can now playback motion detection alerts.

Snowlie

n3wb
Reaction score

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your night time videos look alot better than those from my DB6I cam. My video are extremely grainy and are almost useless. Would you post your settings Smart PSS Camera setting for both DAY and NIGHT for comparison? Thx in advance

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Your night time videos look alot better than those from my DB6I cam. My video are extremely grainy and are almost useless. Would you post your settings Smart PSS Camera setting for both DAY and NIGHT for comparison? Thx in advance
make sure you are using the main stream to watch the video. Substream sometimes poor pics.
Please post your settings here, maybe easier for guys here to do a checking/inspecting.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
make sure you are using the main stream to watch the video. Substream sometimes poor pics.
Please post your settings here, maybe easier for guys here to do a checking/inspecting.
Here are snaps of the various settings along with a short video and snapshot

Attachments