Review-Dahua/EmpireTech new doorbell cam Db6l 5mp

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We have a brand new Doorbell cam to check out from @EMPIRETECANDY in exchange for a fair and honest review.

At this juncture some details are not yet available, I will add them here as they become available.

I don't believe this model will be available to purchase until sometime in January, if chip shortages don't delay it.

Purchase at Andy's Amazon store: Amazon Link

*Please try to keep this thread on topic

Pros:
It works pretty much as advertised. :)
Works with Blue Iris via ONVIF in a limited fashion.
The Human AI works very well and it's associated push notifications to my Android phone.
It has for the most part been very stable for roughly two weeks of running at my front door. Only had a very few drop outs over that time frame. Even while pulling a fulltime stream to BlueIris.
Door bell calls to my phone work as they should, no failures.
You can initiate a call from your phone to the Doorbell, it works.
You have the option to answer a call with a pre-set response with a button push from the phone, Such as: "No one can come to the door right now". You can add your own custom responses as well.
Audio is excellent, although the noise reduction, which can't be turned off, causes weird noise's at times.
Audio in both directions works very well, with very minimal delays.
Picture quality in daytime is very good.
Night time picture quality suffers from excessive noise, due to the use of the 5mp sensor, but it is still a very useable video capture of faces. If you have some light on the porch, this isn't an issue.
It has a light on the bottom that illuminates downwards when it detects motion which helps light a very dark step area.
The doorbell button has an illuminated ring around it.
Record Videos playback ok in DMSS from the SD card.
Push notifications and door bell presses are almost instant.
I am powering the camera with a 12vdc 1.5amp supply. I do not have a traditional doorbell to test it with.

Cons:
I had a hard time initializing the cam, I had to set it back to factory defaults 4-5 times before it was successful, only thing I was able to attribute that to was I wasn't holding my mouth right.
ONVIF triggers don't work with Blue Iris.
You must use the DMSS app on your phone to initialize the camera and control some of it's settings.
You can use SmartPSS for some of its settings, and playback but, Some of the cams settings must be performed in DMSS, and some are only in SmartPSS, Neither app can do it all.
For full functionality, you must use Dahua's P2P service for push alerts and such. It has worked well.
There is no web interface.
Digital Noise Reduction is either on or off, there is no range setting. And when on, it doesn't help much.
It shows a setting of 15FPS, but it only puts out 10FPS, even at that setting. No Iframe adjustments available.
Dahua's IP Config tool does not find it.

Verdict:
It's very obvious they geared it to mainly to be used with a cell phone, and in that vein, it works well, video captures are more than adequate when thinking of using it in that way.
The noise in the night videos is not noticable when viewing on a phone.
It's cluggy that you must use both SmartPSS and DMSS to get settings adjusted. Hopefully this will change with a DMSS update.
IE: there are no picture settings available in the DMSS app, you must use SmartPSS for that.
And as usual, SmartPSS is finicky with settings.

PXL_20211209_195529826.jpg PXL_20211209_195515487.jpg PXL_20211209_195635882.jpgPXL_20211209_195529826.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks decent but I'm still going to hold off on a doorbell I think.
Would you recommend integrating one of these in their current development state, or stick with a wide view turret/fisheye until this they get better?

I'm not as interested in interacting with people at my door as I am seeing/recording who has approached it and if a package was delivered/removed.
Also, is there a seal around the mounting bracket that the main housing sits in to keep water from getting to the power?...follow-up question, is it POE or doorbell wires & wifi only?

Thank you for the review and captures too!

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doorbell wires. They suggest using silicone sealant around the mount.

I use 5442 with a 3.6mm lens mounted at 6.5 ft for my doorbell cam.

View attachment 113052
Yes sir, I'm running the same but slightly higher. I have mine rotated 90* and have tried the channel in corridor but I feel that it skews the image too much so I leave the display sideways (I may try customizing channel blocks to make it better).
I have 2 steps coming up to my door, and it also has a slight slope away from the steps (great in the winter) so in many situations I don't get a good facial view.
I have thought about a doorbell cam, but because of the placement of my current doorbel/wires, I feel a 2nd 6mm 5442 on the adjacent corner of my house will likely be my best solution for now.
Keep these doorbell cams coming Andy, I'm hoping they continue to improve the customization of image settings and FOVs!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes sir, I'm running the same but slightly higher. I have mine rotated 90* and have tried the channel in corridor but I feel that it skews the image too much so I leave the display sideways (I may try customizing channel blocks to make it better).
I have 2 steps coming up to my door, and it also has a slight slope away from the steps (great in the winter) so in many situations I don't get a good facial view.
I have thought about a doorbell cam, but because of the placement of my current doorbel/wires, I feel a 2nd 6mm 5442 on the adjacent corner of my house will likely be my best solution for now.
Keep these doorbell cams coming Andy, I'm hoping they continue to improve the customization of image settings and FOVs!
One of these at 5ft is always an option next to the door.
(13) Review-IPC-E3241F-AS-M Loryta (dahua) 2mp 2.8mm mini dome. | IP Cam Talk

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Great review thank you.

The doorbell definately needs to adjust exposure as someone approaches the door. I noticed on your daytime parcel men, they were massively under-exposed making identification diffcult. I'm guessing if the detail is there it could be lightened in post, but really it shouldn't necessary. Th guy in black's face was totally black in some captures.

I also can't understand Dahua's choice of chip here. The night time picture is horrendous for noise and I have serious worries about motion give the noise level.

Why doesn't Dahua just put in the large chip from the X2 or 5442? Problem solved for day and night.

Finally to finish on a positive, Dahua have got the appearance right. It looks like a smart domestic doorbell although it would also pass for business use as well.

If only Dahua would stop putting small low sensitivity chips in doorbells. The lives of Doorbells matter and they need love too......

Maybe something for Andy to feed back to Dahua. I'm sure lots of people would buy this doorbell if it had the 5442 chip.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great review thank you.

The doorbell definately needs to adjust exposure as someone approaches the door. I noticed on your daytime parcel men, they were massively under-exposed making identification diffcult. I'm guessing if the detail is there it could be lightened in post, but really it shouldn't necessary. Th guy in black's face was totally black in some captures.

I also can't understand Dahua's choice of chip here. The night time picture is horrendous for noise and I have serious worries about motion give the noise level.

Why doesn't Dahua just put in the large chip from the X2 or 5442? Problem solved for day and night.

Finally to finish on a positive, Dahua have got the appearance right. It looks like a smart domestic doorbell although it would also pass for business use as well.

If only Dahua would stop putting small low sensitivity chips in doorbells. The lives of Doorbells matter and they need love too......

Maybe something for Andy to feed back to Dahua. I'm sure lots of people would buy this doorbell if it had the 5442 chip.
I don't have the problem with the delivery men's exposure when looking at it on my 3 computers or on my phone. It depends on how you have the monitors adjusted. Motion is just fine at night.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree Andy. I wouldn't want the VTO on my front door. If only Dahua would put the same chip as in the 5442 in the above doorbell they'd have a real winner.
Why ?

Its a fisheye lens. Even with 1/1,8" cmos it would only useful around 1m.
Also with bigger sensor the size of the housing would be bigger.

Makes absolute no sense to me. VTO (single button) has 2MP 1/2.8" sensor, which is good enough for an intercom.
I also dont see any sense by having a good camera in a doorbell. Most use them as in ring advertisement. You know... as a DOORBELL with video.
Then it only have wifi. To my knowledge there was a reason why not just buy wifi cam for surveillance

Doorbells like this one here have only small housing, its impossible to get any good quality out of the crappy lens, even with the best sensor.