Lorex NVR Died....looking for replacement to work with existing cameras

jigkin21

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there, my Lorex NVR (LNR4082C8B) died last week and since this model is discontinued, I don't know what else I can buy in replacement. Obviously, I don't want to unmount all those camera (LNE3142B) but thinking to buy some cheap NVR and install the hdd from existing broken NVR. Just not sure if I buy any NVR from ebay then it will work with my existing cameras (LNE3142B) Any suggestion?

Current Lorex NVR: LNR4082C8B, Camera Model: Lorex LNE3142B 1080p

Thanks in advance

Jigz

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, my Lorex NVR (LNR4082C8B) died last week and since this model is discontinued, I don't know what else I can buy in replacement. Obviously, I don't want to unmount all those camera (LNE3142B) but thinking to buy some cheap NVR and install the hdd from existing broken NVR. Just not sure if I buy any NVR from ebay then it will work with my existing cameras (LNE3142B) Any suggestion?

Current Lorex NVR: LNR4082C8B, Camera Model: Lorex LNE3142B 1080p

Thanks in advance

Jigz
any dahua NVR should work for you...if you want something significantly better buy a pc (After doing research on this website) and run a VMS like blue iris or milestone...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Just realized I have PC which meets the minimum specs. I'd like to put a test-rig for experimental purposes. Great thing is that Blue Iris is relatively affordable. On the other hand, I have a PC which doesn't accommodate 3.5" SATA HDD's. What's the deal with using multiple external hard-drives attached to the back of the PC via USB 3.0 / USB-C?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just realized I have PC which meets the minimum specs. I'd like to put a test-rig for experimental purposes. Great thing is that Blue Iris is relatively affordable. On the other hand, I have a PC which doesn't accommodate 3.5" SATA HDD's. What's the deal with using multiple external hard-drives attached to the back of the PC via USB 3.0 / USB-C?
What are the specs? You are likely wasting your time

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jigkin21,

Looks like it should, note for the same price or perhaps a bit less you maybe able to get a better model from ipcamtalk member Andy here ( @EMPIRETECANDY )
[ let him know you are a member of ipcamtalk ]

DAHUA 8 Channel Compact 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Lite NVR without Logo NVR4108HS-8P-4KS2 free DHL shipping US $199.99 / piece
Aliexpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles and more

I ordered a higher end model NVR and some cameras from him and was very please working with him.

You can compare the specs:
NVR2108HS-8P-S2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology
NVR4108/4116HS-8P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jigkin21

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 Thanks a lot. Let me contact him to make sure that's the right model for my camera...I hate returning it if it doesn't work.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 Thanks a lot. Let me contact him to make sure that's the right model for my camera...I hate returning it if it doesn't work.
Hi Jigkin21,

Should work well imho - Note I would expect to have to check and/or potentially adjust the settings on the nvr/cameras in case Lorex uses different default settings vs Dahua OEM, otherwise should imho see little issues getting it to work. ( example of a default setting which maybe different - username / password ... )

If you plan to ask I would send the following link to help ID the Lorex Camera back to a particular Dahua OEM model.
Weatherproof 1080p High Definition Night Vision Dome IP Security Camera

Good luck setting it up.

Reaction score
You can flash those cams with dahua firmware. I've flashed all mine. Its in the dahua modification thread.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
You can flash those cams with dahua firmware. I've flashed all mine. Its in the dahua modification thread.
Yes, you are right i checked their website, seems most cams made by dahua and the selling price looks the same range of dahua. Then should be no big problem for their cams working with dahua NVRs.

jigkin21

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you are right i checked their website, seems most cams made by dahua and the selling price looks the same range of dahua. Then should be no big problem for their cams working with dahua NVRs.
How do you flash cams? Just for a curiosity.

jigkin21

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, I uninstalled all the cameras and returned to Costco. All done and got my money back. Now looking to buy 8 camera POE system but don't want to tie with brand anymore. I want to make sure my NVR can work with other brand cameras and other way around. So far, I am looking for ONVIF compatible system with no hdd. Please advise if you have any good system in mind for 8 cameras with night vision. Thanks in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, I uninstalled all the cameras and returned to Costco. All done and got my money back. Now looking to buy 8 camera POE system but don't want to tie with brand anymore. I want to make sure my NVR can work with other brand cameras and other way around. So far, I am looking for ONVIF compatible system with no hdd. Please advise if you have any good system in mind for 8 cameras with night vision. Thanks in advance.
Hi Jigkin21,

If you are buying a separate NVR a lot of us have purchased the Dahua OEM 5216-4k model w/16 PoE ports or without along with various dahua starlight cameras.

I went with a 16 port version instead of a 8 port as the price difference was little and many pointed out that often you realize later that you would like to add another camera beyond 8 at some point.

Others are going used i5/i7 PC with blue iris and PoE switch.

If you would like to do some more reading:

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns Thanks for the info. I got Desktop and can buy blue Iris software. However, buying 8 x suggested cams = $1360 + tax will be costly for me. Wouldn't be cheaper to buy something like this? Funlux 1080p 8ch HDMI NVR W/ 8 720p IP CCTV Ir-cut Camera Home Security System | eBay
Hi Jigkin21,

Blue Iris is iirc $60 total... license for 1 PC - as many cameras as you can connect

Funlux system is cheap system.... you should avoid.

How much is your budget limit?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jigkin21

n3wb
Reaction score
$500-$600. I already have Cat5 cable installed on my property and have my own PC. So in a nut shell, I need to buy 1 x blue iris software + 8 port POE switch (or 16 port for future extension) and at least 7 decent cameras. Thanks for everyone's help so far. Really helpful.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$500-$600. I already have Cat5 cable installed on my property and have my own PC. So in a nut shell, I need to buy 1 x blue iris software + 8 port POE switch (or 16 port for future extension) and at least 7 decent cameras. Thanks for everyone's help so far. Really helpful.
Hi Jigkin21,

Your budget maybe a bit tight.

A lot of us really like the starlight models for night time / low light performance. The cheapest model with a fixed lens is about $120 iirc. ( 6x 120 = $720 ) + BI license $60 + PoE Switch = $780 + switch.

Take a look at the following and add it to your comparison:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

jigkin21

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.