Hikvision Product Comparison

kingkev

n3wb
Reaction score
You will not be able to update the firmware. There are newer 2mp and 4mp cameras that are better than the 3mp in low light..
Ive seen good reviews of that camera model and the price was comfortable for me - although if there are better models for the same price or cheaper then please point me in that direction.

As far as the NVR goes, that price is outstanding from my research. I cant find that model for that price, everywhere i look is 4x the price.

Will not updating the firmware be an issue? I usually shy away from updating things (drivers for pc or software for phones) as it becomes a giant headache and offers no real useful changes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive seen good reviews of that camera model and the price was comfortable for me - although if there are better models for the same price or cheaper then please point me in that direction.

As far as the NVR goes, that price is outstanding from my research. I cant find that model for that price, everywhere i look is 4x the price.

Will not updating the firmware be an issue? I usually shy away from updating things (drivers for pc or software for phones) as it becomes a giant headache and offers no real useful changes.
It will not be an issue but if you should not expose the NVR or cameras to the internet, instead use vpn. This is good practice even with US region cameras. Read the threads about the cameras, if you dont know what you are doing, then its best to go with a US seller that will offer support, otherwise you are in for a headache.
If you dont mind bullet cameras, consider one of these rebranded dahua systems. Costco will allow you to return the system at anytime.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD,-4-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100153164.html
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html

kingkev

n3wb
Reaction score
It will not be an issue but if you should not expose the NVR or cameras to the internet, instead use vpn. This is good practice even with US region cameras. Read the threads about the cameras, if you dont know what you are doing, then its best to go with a US seller that will offer support, otherwise you are in for a headache.
If you dont mind bullet cameras, consider one of these rebranded dahua systems. Costco will allow you to return the system at anytime.
http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD,-4-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision.product.100153164.html
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html
My goal is to view it from my smartphone while im at work so i suppose this makes it necessary unfortunately. And as far as the cameras go im not biased toward the bullets, just a positive review i read about it while trying to make my decision.

Ive seen the lorex name come up a few times, is that costco bundle reliable?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My goal is to view it from my smartphone while im at work so i suppose this makes it necessary unfortunately. And as far as the cameras go im not biased toward the bullets, just a positive review i read about it while trying to make my decision.

Ive seen the lorex name come up a few times, is that costco bundle reliable?
You can view remotely if you properly setup a vpn.
Those particular systems are both made by dahua. Very reliable. If you have any issues, simply bring it back to costco, even 5 years from now.

letmein

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Olli, awesome work. It would be possible to add release date to the info, in order to get the newest gen if you sort by release date?

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can view remotely if you properly setup a vpn.
+1

Port forwarding your cameras to the router is an invitation for hackers to walk right into your home network. After suffering repeated hacking attempts, I set up a VPN and now can securely live-view remotely.

GSB1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does the S in model numbers signify please?

Specifically, what is the difference beteeen the Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I and Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS?

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What does the S in model numbers signify please?
S indicates that it supports 2 way audio - at least the audio connections for a microphone and a speaker. So you can record audio along with your video.

Specifically, what is the difference beteeen the Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I and Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS?
So the S indicates it has the connections (a pigtail) for the microphone and a speaker. The F indicates the presence of an SD card slot for local storage. Comparing the datasheets of the two cameras will confirm this.

Also have a look at my Hikvision camera guide which has a naming convention section (in signature).

Last edited by a moderator:

GSB1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Having found some reference material I concur, it is the audio. The company I bought my DS-2CD2132F-I from sells the DS-2CD2132F-IS for a little less, which I find odd, although I have no need for audio.

Jramosent

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where are you guys purchasing these 2132 dome cameras for $100 bucks?

torvil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
+1

Port forwarding your cameras to the router is an invitation for hackers to walk right into your home network. After suffering repeated hacking attempts, I set up a VPN and now can securely live-view remotely.

How can I do this?

I used to have remote access, then the function disappeared, and would love to get the function to monitor away from home.
Please be gentle, as I'm a novice.

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, using a VPN for remote access instead of port forwarding the cameras is an involved process and took me some time to get working as I wanted. You need a device on your network which will act as a VPN server. This could be a PC running 24/7, a router, or a NAS. I didn't want a power sucking device running 24/7 so went with a power-efficient NAS -
I have a write up on our blog here: http://www.vueville.com/blog/how-we-built-our-diy-home-security-camera-system/

Note you still need to forward one port - the VPN protocol's port to the VPN server. However this is more secure than exposing the cameras to the internet directly.

Snowman

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the letters after the cameras model signifies?
i know it's been mentioned but I can't seem to find a link for full explanation.

ENiGMA

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
price and recommended vendor not in the spreadsheet anymore? (for cameras; still there for nvr)

gth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Updated the main tab on the spreadsheet. No doubt the links will eventually get out of date again (someone tell Hikvision about "301 Redirect"!) and of course there's lots of other cameras & permutations possible, but hopefully it helps.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
bump ... this list appears to be well out of date? No Turret cameras?