Goodyear Virtual Signalling Bites them in the @ss

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you look at the real world instead of academia, you'll find the opposite.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you dig into it you will find a strong correlation between violent offenders of any age and a history of violence in the home and corporal punishment in particular. Teaching consequences by demonstrating it's ok to hit is just fundamentally poor logic. Kids are imitative and repeat what adults do.

Again, look at the research if interested. I get an earful from my wife about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
There is a big difference between abuse, punishment and doing nothing.
I gave my kids a butt spanking rarely, but when I did they deserved it . My kids are in there thirties now and I still have a good time with them on Sunday, family day. And guess what they love me dearly. So I must of did something right.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A study of violent offenders that begins with the premise that corporal punishment IS violence is fundamentally not science.
I was raised in a (badly) broken home. I had FIVE stepfathers. In MOST every case they were good people, There was corporal punishment, including at my father's house. There were issues, but there was never violence. Except for the ONE guy. The one that didn't think spanking was a good idea. The guy with the philosophical air about him who thought himself erudite and informed and enlightened. YEeah, THAT guy...the one that would get drunk and beat the fuck out of my mother.
Don't tell me spanking is violence; I have a non-academic understanding of the distinction.

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for the outburst.
Back to the Goodyear topic. The key thing that NEEDS to happen is number ~1~ stated above. They desparately need to acknowledge that BLM IS a POLITICAL MESSAGE. If they cannot get that right, their other efforts are doomed to fail.

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Listening to the recording of the Goodyear meeting (you can hear dissension from the crowd) it appeared to me the bossman was trying to quell factory floor tensions where the BLM supporters were wearing BLM attire and another group was responding with support of other groups and efforts, which was causing the BLM supporters to be triggered. Goodyear guy didn't want BLM onTV marching on Goodyear.

The proper response would be to eliminate political statements and logos on premises, not give a sloppy one to BLM. Idiot. But today there is no level ground.

td0g

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Of course they did, I was referring to their Whole Foods store getting trashed/burned.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon as in many cases there is no other good choice and like many I enjoy the convenience. They thrived during the pandemic due to their near monopoly. I dont begrudge successful capitalism, I do have a problem with corporate support for terrorist organizations. And I despise virtue signalling as a marketing tactic but it works on the uneducated.

We've slowly tried to move purchases to other retailers where logical.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Convenient timing on this article today about corporate virtue signaling coming back to bite those companies in the @ss.
Black Owners Accuse McDonald's Of Systematic Discrimination In $1BN Lawsuit

The group or mob you are trying to pacify with your virtue signalling will never stop or be appeased. You can't virtue signal your way out of them continuing to demand more.

"However, McDonald's has repeatedly shown that it "cares" about "social justice and equality". It was one of the first major American corporations to join the advertiser boycott of Facebook. It made a big show last year when it said it would no longer resist the localized push for a $15 minimum wage.

Has McDonald's willingness to engage in 'corporate activism' simply opened the door to being targeted by opportunistic lawsuits in the hopes of a quick settlement?"