Goodyear Virtual Signalling Bites them in the @ss

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
So guys, the Goodyear MAGA hat ban: believe it or not, in a limited sense this liberal guy agrees with you.

(Listens for shocked silence)

The directive inappropriately called out Trump supporters and was wrong in my book.

If it had been fair, such as proscribing employees from wearing campaign materials for any candidate or party in the workplace or when identifiable as Goodyear employees (wearing Logoed uniform on way home getting groceries), that would have been fine with me. No MAGA hats, no Biden slogans (re there Biden slogans yet?), No nothing...

As a customer I want to interact with a professional employee competent in their job, not get proselytized-to when I go get tires or buy paint or whatever.

Gotta go. Getting oil changed at Goodyear...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I sent them an email to their corporate address
I tried to send them a nice email, and it looks like the site is either swamped or they disabled the email request. Yea, the hell w/ Goodyear.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So guys, the Goodyear MAGA hat ban: believe it or not, in a limited sense this liberal guy agrees with you.

The directive inappropriately called out Trump supporters and was wrong in my book.

If it had been fair, such as proscribing employees from wearing campaign materials for any candidate or party in the workplace or when identifiable as Goodyear employees (wearing Logoed uniform on way home getting groceries), that would have been fine with me. No MAGA hats, no Biden slogans (re there Biden slogans yet?), No nothing...

As a customer I want to interact with a professional employee competent in their job, not get proselytized-to when I go get tires or buy paint or whatever.

The MAGA hat ban was the least problem I had.

Unacceptable
Blue Lives Matter
All Lives Matter

Acceptable
Black Lives Matter

This was and continues to be bullshit based on a lie

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the ban is dumb unless it was part of a broader ban on political affiliated apparel in general, which i have not heard is the case.
the company i work for has a broad ban on wearing anything politically affiliated at work. About the only thing you can wear is the "i voted" sticker you get after voting.
Additional you aren't allowed to follow, like, or post on anything political with your social media while you have the company listed on that platform as your employer.

for instance someone whose bio says they work here can't like one of Westboro Baptist church's hate speech posts.

with all that said i dont think there will be much to any repercussions to goodyear for this, at least in the short term. The people claiming to boycott them likely weren't buying them anyway, and those who were probably are the typical american with short attention spans that judges a product mostly on price, or some perceived social status (such as the people who harp on china on their brand new iphones).

in the long term it might cost them if trump wins the election, and that would only be in the context of potential contracts being dropped in favor of their competitors.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I think the ban is dumb unless it was part of a broader ban on political affiliated apparel in general, which i have not heard is the case.
the company i work for has a broad ban on wearing anything politically affiliated at work. About the only thing you can wear is the "i voted" sticker you get after voting.
Additional you aren't allowed to follow, like, or post on anything political with your social media while you have the company listed on that platform as your employer.

for instance someone whose bio says they work here can't like one of Westboro Baptist church's hate speech posts.

with all that said i dont think there will be much to any repercussions to goodyear for this, at least in the short term. The people claiming to boycott them likely weren't buying them anyway, and those who were probably are the typical american with short attention spans that judges a product mostly on price, or some perceived social status (such as the people who harp on china on their brand new iphones).

in the long term it might cost them if trump wins the election, and that would only be in the context of potential contracts being dropped in favor of their competitors.
Do you have your head in the sand?

The slide specifically indicated that BLM and LGBQT was 'acceptable' and Blue Lives Matter and other conservative leaning material was not.

And to your second point about "i dont think there will be much to any repercussions to goodyear for this, at least in the short term" How about this for starters

Kentucky Mayor to Stop Using Goodyear Tires for Police, Fire, and Emergency Vehicles Over Their Anti-Cop Stances

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I cant argue that most folks wont boycot them, (like Nike, Gillette) but some of us do have a memory and over time that negative image can erode marketshare if it isnt addressed.

They did seem to fall all over themselves today trying to ecplain their way out of it, and that might be considered a victory in itself.

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's only news because Trump tweeted his heartburn about it (And bigredfish put it here). Otherwise it's just more of the same "one party is exempt from the laws" bullshit happening all over the country.

BLM and LGBTQ(?) own the democrat party today. Wearing their stuff IS political speech and everyone, including the bums at Goodyear, knows it. It's blatant discrimination, but as long as it benefits the left, who cares if it's illegal?

If Trump is re-elected his DOJ's priority should be ending the current two systems of justice.

Imagine if Goodyear had said wearing something that promoted "all lives matter" or "support your police" was approved as it applies equally to the general population but specific political messages like "black lives matter" or promoting LGBTQ(?) is prohibited. Their HQ and stores would be smoldering ashes as we speak.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you have your head in the sand?

The slide specifically indicated that BLM and LGBQT was 'acceptable' and Blue Lives Matter and other conservative leaning material was not.

And to your second point about "i dont think there will be much to any repercussions to goodyear for this, at least in the short term" How about this for starters

Kentucky Mayor to Stop Using Goodyear Tires for Police, Fire, and Emergency Vehicles Over Their Anti-Cop Stances

you need to re-read my first sentence. I said was against the ban unless it was universal; "which i have not heard is the case "

Also per the google the population of the town in question "Coal Run, KY" is 1,701. The high school i went to has an annual student body of 1,900.

the economic loss to goodyear is the financial equivalent to pocket lint.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

Do you normally go to Goodyear for your oil changes?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you normally go to Goodyear for your oil changes?
I was tongue in cheek about going there today, but yes I go to a place that was historically Goodyear Gemini but now is "Tire Central and Service" but run by the same honest, competent folks. They take good care of me and Mrs. Frankenscript, and this store is known for being a place where women customers aren't talked down to. Good folks there; I don't care how they vote and I don't want to know how they vote.

For the record I used to do my own basic car work but these days I have other time demands and as cars get more techy I'd rather the pros do it.

Last time I needed tires they out Continentals on. Good match for the vehicle. Love 'em.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was tongue in cheek about going there today, but yes I go to a place that was historically Goodyear Gemini but now is "Tire Central and Service" but run by the same honest, competent folks. They take good care of me and Mrs. Frankenscript, and this store is known for being a place where women customers aren't talked down to. Good folks there; I don't care how they vote and I don't want to know how they vote.

For the record I used to do my own basic car work but these days I have other time demands and as cars get more techy I'd rather the pros do it.

Last time I needed tires they out Continentals on. Good match for the vehicle. Love 'em.

LOL - You typed all that out, but a simple answer the question would just be a 'NO'

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what all corporations should do. They should just build the best product they can, market it, and keep their blasted mouths shut about everything else. It's the nature of left-leaners to politicize everything. I hope this bites them really hard.
Well, this is what happens when their Ranks get infected with liberal Managers and C.E.O's , Its not just Goodyear, it a symptom of 2 generations of our Schools, Media and Institutions and some Churches, It seems no organization are Immune to it. Look what is happening to professional sports, heck even Nascar is being bit by this. I fear for my Daughters future.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a Continental Fan, How's That? :rofl:

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i ususally get my tires at the local firestone place purely because its close enough that i can drop it off and ride my bike to work or home. I just did get a costco membership so i may start getting tires through them, if i keep the membership long enough.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I get mine from Discount Tire Direct

i ususally get my tires at the local firestone place purely because its close enough that i can drop it off and ride my bike to work or home. I just did get a costco membership so i may start getting tires through them, if i keep the membership long enough.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I get mine from the local Goodyear dealer, but I don't buy Goodyear tires from him. He also sells other brands, including Continental.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the problem with boycotting a tire company is that its not just that brand, its the whole family that that brand may be part of or owns.

Unless it has changed the good year family consists of Dunlop, Goodyear, Fulda, Falken and Kelly.