Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ordered a 4231 from Andy, first order from him so far. Replacing another Foscam that the LEDs quit working on. Area is partially lit so I suspect may not require the IR with the extra light gathering ability. Looking forward to trying it out.

Reaction score
I bought one varifocal camera and trying to use it as a template for ordering these fixed models. The bubble pop-up on the varifocal slider's web interface tells me the zoom range is 0-1400 (with steps of 20 units). So from the varifocal cam specs I can deduce 0 would be 2.7mm and 1400 would be 12mm. Assuming a linear scale of the 0-1400 each mm would equal about 150 units on the slider 1400 / (12-2.7). Therefore to mimic the 6mm fixed camera, the varifocal should be set to 500 units on the slider... (6-2.7) * 150 rounded up to the nearest 20 unit mark. And to mimic the 3.6mm fixed camera, the varifocal should be set to 140 units on the slider... (3.6-2.7) * 150 again rounded up to nearest 20 unit mark.

For those of you who have both the varifocal and fixed models, does this sound right? Or does it look right:

Slider @ 0 = 2.7mm
Slider @ 140 = 3.6mm
Slider @ 500 = 6mm
Slider @ 1400 = 12mm

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Logically that sounds right...

If you look at the Dahua page for the the 4231s it should tell you the view angle for the 2.7, 4 and 6mm lenses. Can use that compare to your images above, too.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For those of you who have both the varifocal and fixed models, does this sound right?
Sounds about true in my experience but I usually look at the spec sheet as per:
If you look at the Dahua page for the the 4231s it should tell you the view angle for the 2.7, 4 and 6mm lenses
I base my calculations (estimations) on the spec sheet because different length lenses have different FOVs (Fields of View) depending on the size of the sensor.

I am a slow learner and used to use my arms and a SILVA navigation compass to work out FOV angles. Until one day a couple of years ago I realised my always with me, trusty wooden measure rule had degree markings in the joint of the 2 outside sections, that neatly coincide with FOV degrees. Much easier and don't look like as big a tool flapping my arms about. More accurate too.

I use this one :

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Stick with the data sheet and FOV angles for each fixed camera lens mm, like @SquareEyes points out. Use a bit of math to determine the FOV in feet at the distance that you want to compare. I like to use ~20 feet wide and find the distance to that at various FPV angles, as that is 100 pixels per foot for 2mp.

Also, i find it is frequently better to miss a couple of pixels in width (go narrow and long) than to waste them on walls and mass with IR bounce and focus issues right next to the camera, with more pixels on target.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got a call from DHL, package out for delivery later this afternoon. Cost an extra $22 for brokerage fee and taxes etc... which of course always sucks dealing with any of the courier services, but that's the way it is I suppose, but 10 day delivery from China isn't bad at all.

update:
No package yet. Checked tracking and it says package was refused, and, delivery pending payment. Called their customer service, they say it might be out for delivery later this week.
:|

Last edited:

paradigm

n3wb
Reaction score
I just ordered a 3.6mm IPC-HDW4231EM-AS from @EMPIRETECANDY (also my first order from AliExpress). Can't wait to get it! Assuming it works as well as everyone says, I'll probably add a few more to round out my exterior cam layout. Now to get the wiring ready for its arrival...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just ordered a 3.6mm IPC-HDW4231EM-AS from @EMPIRETECANDY (also my first order from AliExpress). Can't wait to get it! Assuming it works as well as everyone says, I'll probably add a few more to round out my exterior cam layout. Now to get the wiring ready for its arrival...
lol, ok thanks buddy! Will ship out tomorrow and can be there early next week. This cam will ship from USA, i send one more to a US guy, he will forward this to you. I am very pleased most guys are very honest and reliable, sometimes we make some mistakes. They always help me out.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just got a call from DHL, package out for delivery later this afternoon. Cost an extra $22 for brokerage fee and taxes etc... which of course always sucks dealing with any of the courier services, but that's the way it is I suppose, but 10 day delivery from China isn't bad at all.

update:
No package yet. Checked tracking and it says package was refused, and, delivery pending payment. Called their customer service, they say it might be out for delivery later this week.
:|
future please use our free tax way, we can help you out for this, sometimes guys ask why us sell high than others, because we have better warranty and shipment arrangement, seems we know all customs well now. And how to deal with them.

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes will have to investigate that for future deliveries.

Just got a call from DHL, it turns out they don't deliver outside the city (Winnipeg), so I have to pick it up at their depot. It's a 2 hour drive from here. Guess DHL doesn't do much business here. Will try to run up there next week.

free tax way

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Picked up the camera today. Fired it up on the network, seems ok except I get four blocks in the video that I can't get rid of. Tried re-setting the camera, maybe I could try to re-load the firmware? Would rather avoid the latter.. Here's the image attached, full res. Awsome pucture otherwise.
What fo you guys think?

Cam10.20170615_144224.jpg

paradigm

n3wb
Reaction score
Picked up the camera today. Fired it up on the network, seems ok except I get four blocks in the video that I can't get rid of. Tried re-setting the camera, maybe I could try to re-load the firmware? Would rather avoid the latter.. Here's the image attached, full res. Awsome pucture otherwise.
What fo you guys think?

View attachment 19325
That picture looks like the default Overlay / Privacy Masking config. That's in the Setup | Video | Overlay section. Make sure it's disabled.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The blocks are privacy masking.
Go to setup, camera, video, disable privacy masking, save.

Reactions: GFM

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep that fixed it! Thank you Muchly! Not sure how that got turned on but it is off now.
All good! :)
Is this the 3.6mm?

Thanks!

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that is the 3.6mm standard lens. Nice wide angle, and less distortion than the 2.8mm. Works perfectly where it's situated. Had a Foscam PTZ previously in that spot and had to pan quite a bit to get from side to side. This one being stationary covers the whole area without panning around, and gets a nice close image of anyone at the door (doesn't actually show the door unless it opens a bit). Quite happy with the camera.
If you order one from Andy (seeing you are in QC), check with DHL before you order and make sure they deliver at least somewhere nearby. If you are in Montreal or one of the larger cities shipping should be fine. In my case here at least (Southern Manitoba) they don't go outside Winnipeg. Had to chase the package around and finally found it in my mailbox; they had mailed it to me from their depot in Winnipeg a couple hours before I stopped by to pick it up!. Luckily I was in the city for other reasons as well as this package. It all turned out good in the end. :)

Is this the 3.6mm?

Thanks!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes that is the 3.6mm standard lens. Nice wide angle, and less distortion than the 2.8mm. Works perfectly where it's situated. Had a Foscam PTZ previously in that spot and had to pan quite a bit to get from side to side. This one being stationary covers the whole area without panning around, and gets a nice close image of anyone at the door (doesn't actually show the door unless it opens a bit). Quite happy with the camera.
If you order one from Andy (seeing you are in QC), check with DHL before you order and make sure they deliver at least somewhere nearby. If you are in Montreal or one of the larger cities shipping should be fine. In my case here at least (Southern Manitoba) they don't go outside Winnipeg. Had to chase the package around and finally found it in my mailbox; they had mailed it to me from their depot in Winnipeg a couple hours before I stopped by to pick it up!. Luckily I was in the city for other reasons as well as this package. It all turned out good in the end. :)
wooo so fast!!!

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, I'm just on the other side of the St-Lawrence river. I almost see the Chateau Frontenac from my home.

I've been ordering from AliExpress for many years and never paid once for customs...the only problem is shipping time. Epacket is good. DHL not tried yet.