Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my cheap NVR, I turned off motion detection. I have the cameras send snapshot of motion detection to my NAS via ftp. I review the snapshots and if needed I go to that time on the NVR.

FYI... My dash cam records five minute clips and they overlap.

slogik

n3wb
Reaction score
Good to know. Unfortunately it looks like Milestone requires Windows and I'm not willing to pay for a license. My server is no slouch, perhaps it can handle it.
Stupid me. I didn't realize NX Witness includes automatic failover for free (you install another server, but it's the cameras that are licensed). They have a youtube video where they are actually running a server on an Intel compute stick with a half dozen 1080P streams and recording with them as a server. I have a slightly larger Fitlet with much more CPU horsepower than a compute stick gathering dust (bought for a different project that I ended up not needing it). I can hook this up to the TV as a client, and when the server goes down for whatever reason, all the cameras will automatically fail over and record on it indefinitely without any additional cost, change in settings or loss of functionality. While this wouldn't work for someone with an existing investment in a hardware DVR or Blue Iris, if someone is looking at a new build, they may want to consider this as an alternative option if they were planning on SD cards in all their cameras for failover. I know with Axxon I would have had to pay for an enterprise license for failover which was never going to happen; I think from a cost and labor perspective this could be similar and a good option for some. I'll test this out in the next few weeks and post back if it works and how well in case anyone is interested.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know that it is a glitch but yes only when the video file is closed out and a new one started, and I am not even sure if its something that has always been that way or not because in the years i've been using BI I never noticed it before lol. I agree, the dahua issue doesn't deserve a pass, I am sure there is a way to fix it, how quickly that will happen, who knows, given that we know a few dahua employees in here it might happen sooner than later.
There is no missing videos between files in BI...i just tested it...are you recording to BVR?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no missing videos between files in BI...i just tested it...are you recording to BVR?
yeah, I didn't look at the files to see if there was any sort of gap, I just noticed one day when the files all ended and new ones were created that the cams all blinked black for a split second, should be happening again in about 7 minutes, I'll watch it and go back and see if the one picks up at the same second the other left off. I am set to record files in 8 hour chunks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid me. I didn't realize NX Witness includes automatic failover for free (you install another server, but it's the cameras that are licensed). They have a youtube video where they are actually running a server on an Intel compute stick with a half dozen 1080P streams and recording with them as a server. I have a slightly larger Fitlet with much more CPU horsepower than a compute stick gathering dust (bought for a different project that I ended up not needing it). I can hook this up to the TV as a client, and when the server goes down for whatever reason, all the cameras will automatically fail over and record on it indefinitely without any additional cost, change in settings or loss of functionality. While this wouldn't work for someone with an existing investment in a hardware DVR or Blue Iris, if someone is looking at a new build, they may want to consider this as an alternative option if they were planning on SD cards in all their cameras for failover. I know with Axxon I would have had to pay for an enterprise license for failover which was never going to happen; I think from a cost and labor perspective this could be similar and a good option for some. I'll test this out in the next few weeks and post back if it works and how well in case anyone is interested.
NX Witness has some neat features and dewarping support (though i understand that camera side motion detection is not supported, im guessing their server side is better than the cameras)..at about 70 per camera, its actually a pretty good value compared to others because they offer free upgrades for life.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay so, the blink happens, HOWEVER, when I examined the two video files, there is a one second overlap between so the next file includes the last two seconds of the file before it, which is pretty awesome, you do not actually lose anything at all.

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello everyone! (Sorry for my english) I received today this cam from BEC Tec., Everything ok arrived in less than three days in Italy, but I have a problem I can not see the cam out of the wifi network with Tiny cam pro, the other cam work perfectly (Foscam, and other) with NO-IP I set in the options, I tried to change ip and port but nothing ... in the port forwarding of the router I put 8089 but I've also tried 3777 and 3778 nothing, the strange thing is that if I put the no-ip host in tinycam options as with the other cam I do not see anything even in wifi, I'm forced to put 192.168.1.20 some help Thanks. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! (Sorry for my english) I received today this cam from BEC Tec., Everything ok arrived in less than three days in Italy, but I have a problem I can not see the cam out of the wifi network with Tiny cam pro, the other cam work perfectly (Foscam, and other) with NO-IP I set in the options, I tried to change ip and port but nothing ... in the port forwarding of the router I put 8089 but I've also tried 3777 and 3778 nothing, the strange thing is that if I put the no-ip host in tinycam options as with the other cam I do not see anything even in wifi, I'm forced to put 192.168.1.20 some help Thanks. :)

You have something in your setup wrong..it has nothing to do with ddns. You ONLY need to setup ddns in ONE of your devices on the network, not in every camera. You only need to forward 554 for tiny cam..port forwarding is not secure and even more dangerous for you since you dont know what you are doing. Think twice..

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks very much, forward 554 and leaving only the router settings works perfectly! thank you :)

Last edited:

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have to remove the electronics from the shell by removing the two screws. It's a different kind of slot that I had not seen before so be careful. You actually slide the silver cover down to open the bay then lay the card in and then slide the sleeve back up. It is stamped on the sleeve but it's very hard to read. Careful not to touch any of the optic surfaces I put my back together and noticed I inadvertently touched the lens and had to take it apart again and carefully clean it off. Wondering what size card is adequate. I had an 8 gigabyte laying around so I threw that in, we'll see how it goes.

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's complicated! the Dahua could find a simpler solution ... I try I hope everything goes well, thank you very much for the explanation :)

Last edited:

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What recording scheme would you recommend for the internal SD? Continuous and overwrite the oldest?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, is this where I set up continuous recording? If I uncheck motion is it recording all the time?

Attachments

falcy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Logically it was so just for the photo, then I put it well LOL :)

Last edited: