Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
yes and the bullet is only a few dollars more . IPC-HFW4231E-SE (40m IR ) & IPC-HFW4231T-ASE (60m IR) . Any info if the turret is in metal or plastic ?

I am not sure but i think they are available for $70-$75 +shipping
all metal, if cheap for 70-75, then go to IPC-HDW1230S, using slow way.

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All, need a little help with a new install I'm supporting. Ran into a problem with this camera and a 5216-16P NVR. Camera worked initially, then was unplugged to move the location by about 10 feet using the same wire. When we hooked everything back up, NVR didn't see the camera at all.

* Removed camera and hooked up to NVR with known good cable with same result.
* Performed a camera reset and NVR recognized camera but says offline, see screenshot below.
* Note in screenshot camera #6 is green but changes back to red soon after pic was taken. IP address and port don't look right but not sure how to correct... all other cams were plug and play.

Thanks for any help!

Moved to new thread here
Dahua Starlight fixed lens camera no display

Attachments

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All, need a little help with a new install I'm supporting. Ran into a problem with this camera and a 5216-16P NVR...
@slowhand23: Don’t you think your issue might be better received in a new topic post to an appropriate forum rather than dumped into an unrelated topic?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
In trying out a new IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE I see that it has a washout problem when the sun is shining on it. I mounted it next to the HFW-4431R-Z it's intended to replace.

With the afternoon sun getting lower, the image looks like this:
4231_sunGlare (Small).jpg
While the 4431r-z's image is this:
4431r-z_noSunGlare (Small).jpg
I'm wondering if the white surfaces around the lens might be the cause?
turretCam-closeUp (Small).jpg
I don't see the white surfaces in the closeup shot in the very first post of this thread.

This being my first turret camera I don't know what to think:

-Is this a characteristic of all the turret models?
-Is it a manufacturing change made when the epoe model was introduced?
-Did mine skip a step on the assembly line? (I highly doubt that).

Any thoughts appreciated. Like the other starlights, it smokes the 4mp camera in the dark.

Attachments

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
In trying out a new IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE I see that it has a washout problem when the sun is shining on it. I mounted it next to the HFW-4431R-Z it's intended to replace.

View attachment 31255
View attachment 31256
View attachment 31257
I don't see the white surfaces in the closeup shot in the very first post of this thread.

Any thoughts appreciated. Like the other starlights, it smokes the 4mp camera in the dark.

Have you tried with WDR enabled?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
To me it looks like sunlight being reflected/refracted by the lens glass. That's kind of hard to avoid in some situations if the camera is facing the sun, at some time during the day, and isn't protected by a sunshade of some sort. A piece of cardboard would let you experiment pretty easily.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 31255
View attachment 31256
View attachment 31257

This model cams design or color has not changed since it's release. The picture in the op looks just like yours.
Make sure the lens is clean, if it has a haze of any kind on it, it amplify s' the problem.
Not many cams can handle the sun on the lens real well.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Appreciate all the ideas, that's what I'm fishing for. I might have to get Andy involved. I'm trying to avoid taking up his time if the forum can help. techbill, I hadn't tried WDR and waited for the glare to begin today today check it out. It doesn't help, I think it actually makes it a little worse. awsum140, no argument from me that sun on the camera is a difficult situation. I'm impressed that the other camera handles it so well, so it's obviously a solvable problem. looney2ns, good suggestion about cleaning the lens. I stupidly never considered that because it's a new out of the box camera. I "cleaned the heck" out of it and it unfortunately didn't help. I want to follow up one thing with you: In the bottom picture I posted I clearly see a white ring under the glass in front of the lens. In the pictures in the first post I see no such white ring. Do you really see it differently than I do? (The camera in the first post is inverted compared to mine).

I'm left with a couple of questions:

1. Shouldn't I be able to expect the 4231 to handle sun glare as well as the junk chinese market camera it's mounted next to?
2. Or possibly, is it just inherent in the design of the turret cameras that they don't handle sun glare as well as bullets?

Plus I discovered a new problem: Audio doesn't work. Is there anything I have to set up in the camera besides what's in this picture? Or is there something in the nvr or smartPss I need to enable? (Audio is working ok with a different camera).

audioSetup.jpg

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could the whole Starlight design of the sensor picking up more light than other models work against itself in super-bright conditions like that?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Appreciate all the ideas, that's what I'm fishing for. I might have to get Andy involved. I'm trying to avoid taking up his time if the forum can help. techbill, I hadn't tried WDR and waited for the glare to begin today today check it out. It doesn't help, I think it actually makes it a little worse. awsum140, no argument from me that sun on the camera is a difficult situation. I'm impressed that the other camera handles it so well, so it's obviously a solvable problem. looney2ns, good suggestion about cleaning the lens. I stupidly never considered that because it's a new out of the box camera. I "cleaned the heck" out of it and it unfortunately didn't help. I want to follow up one thing with you: In the bottom picture I posted I clearly see a white ring under the glass in front of the lens. In the pictures in the first post I see no such white ring. Do you really see it differently than I do? (The camera in the first post is inverted compared to mine).

1. Shouldn't I be able to expect the 4231 to handle sun glare as well as the junk chinese market camera it's mounted next to?
2. Or possibly, is it just inherent in the design of the turret cameras that they don't handle sun glare as well as bullets?

Plus I discovered a new problem: Audio doesn't work. Is there anything I have to set up in the camera besides what's in this picture? Or is there something in the nvr or smartPss I need to enable? (Audio is working ok with a different camera).

View attachment 31275
Check your WDR and BLC settings. Try swapping the positions of the two cameras.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Could the whole Starlight design of the sensor picking up more light than other models work against itself in super-bright conditions like that?
Now that's a very good question! I've got a starlight mini bullet I could move over to compare. It would be a big disruption, but maybe I have to bite the bullet and do it.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 31275

@tigerwillow1

is the 4mp camera len sit inside the housing "shaded". By looking at the photo of both camera, it look like the 4mp camera is aimed more angled away from the sun based on the shadow it producing from the sun. Maybe remount the turret and aim it at the same angle as the 4mp one.

if the len on the 4mp does sit in deeper in the housing then perhaps experiment by getting a wide masking tape and wrap it around the housing of the turret sticking out about 1/2 an inch to see if it provide some shade and stop the glare from the sun. If that does fix it then I would find a circular plastic band or something a bit elastic that will slip over and is weatherproof. Use silicone to attach it permanently but still removable and cleanable if needed. It can still look like it factory designed.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the picture of the new 4231 where I see a white ring behind the glass in front of the lens:
turretCam-closeUp (Small).jpg

And this is the cropped+flipped picture from the first post in the thread where I don't see a white ring:

firstPostCloseup.jpg

I realize the comparison is not conclusive at different angles. I'm just wondering is this might of have been a small cost reduction change when the epoe model was introduced?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the picture of the new 4231 where I see a white ring behind the glass in front of the lens:
View attachment 31288

And this is the cropped+flipped picture from the first post in the thread where I don't see a white ring:

View attachment 31289

I realize the comparison is not conclusive at different angles. I'm just wondering is this might of have been a small cost reduction change when the epoe model was introduced?

I think that is a foam around the lens to keep the IR from bleeding into the len itself at night. If you don't see a IR bleed at night then they must have seal it differently in the ePoE model and not using foam anymore.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
View attachment 31288

View attachment 31289

Some higher res pictures at different angles and in different lighting would make it easier to compare.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think that is a foam around the lens to keep the IR from bleeding into the len itself at night. If you don't see a IR bleed at night then they must have seal it differently in the ePoE model and not using foam anymore.
That is definitely foam around there. I know because when I took it apart to install the micro SD card, I had to mess with that to get it lined up properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I mounted the 4321 bullet above the 4231 turret today and found that the bullet does not have the sun washout problem. To make conditions more even, I removed the sunshade from the bullet. These are the same cameras with the same sensors in different cases. Following through on a prior suggestion I'll try swapping their positions tomorrow, and if the washout stays with the turret I'll start jumping to conclusions. Answering another question, I do not see any IR bleed. Today's pictures below. I'm embedding just the thumbnails.
4231_bul+tur (Small).jpg
4231_turret_jul10-1820 (Medium).jpg
4231_bullet_jul10-1820 (Medium).jpg

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm about ready to throw in the towel and say there's something not right about my one 4231 turret, all 4231 turrets, or maybe even all turrets, with respect to handling sun glare. I swapped the 4231 turret and 4231 bullet mounting positions. The turret still has the sun glare and the bullet doesn't. Then I tried repositioning the foam ring (pictures below) to what looks like a more correct position, and that didn't change anything either. Maybe it has something to do with different glass used in the lens or lens cover? Another thing I notice is that colors are more crisp with the bullet version and there was no adjusting I could find to make the turret look as good. About all I can do at this point is try some sort of home-made sunshade. This is a good example why I buy only one of a new-to-me camera model!

Aside from that, any ideas why the audio doesn't work with this camera? While I had it open I did verify that the microphone connector was seated well and the wires to the microphone weren't damaged.

When I opened the camera the foam ring was positioned on the lens shaft:
foam-original (Small).jpg

I moved it to be up against the case glass:
foam-redone (Small).jpg

The end result looks a whole lot better, with the white ring behind the glass totally gone:
foamlooksBetter (Small).jpg

I really thought this would fix the sun glare problem, and was very disappointed that it didn't.