Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How does this camera compare to the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE other than it is PTZ? How is the picture quality compared to this? Durability? Wind? Rain? Would I be better off just going with the 5231?
it doesnt...read the specs, its an indoor camera. its not a starlight either.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
How does this camera compare to the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE other than it is PTZ? How is the picture quality compared to this? Durability? Wind? Rain? Would I be better off just going with the 5231?
it's an old camera 3 years ago, it's an old cam, and not waterproof. Only use indoor/.

dyno

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine was underneath a soffit and pretty protected but gave up the ghost after about 6 months. I took a chance - best to use these indoors. 5231 is a nice cam though mine focuses slowly....probably a setting issue.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine was underneath a soffit and pretty protected but gave up the ghost after about 6 months. I took a chance - best to use these indoors. 5231 is a nice cam though mine focuses slowly....probably a setting issue.
The Varifocals like the 5231 are not designed to be used for zooming in and out on a ongoing basis. It is meant to be used at install time, to get your FOV set, then left alone.

dyno

n3wb
Reaction score
The Varifocals like the 5231 are not designed to be used for zooming in and out on a ongoing basis. It is meant to be used at install time, to get your FOV set, then left alone.
Thanks, good to know. My other cams focus alot faster so I wasn't sure. The picture quality is pretty great - covers my front walkway.

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A few weeks ago one of my cameras suddenly had an overexposed image. After a reboot it wouldn't start at all. A few days later it functioned like normal again.
Yesterday the same problem arised. I've read somewhere that it could be a faulty power supply so I changed the 12V adapter of the camera, however, that didn't really help.
This is the picture I got this time:

I tried another reboot and it stopped working again. I can ping it some times, but I am unable to access it in the browser.
Anyone has a clue what the problem could be?

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like a overheating problem to me. Maybe you can try a PoE injector as an alternative power source?

Does the camera feels hot when the video is crap?

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It is currently mounted at a height of 5m, so I don't know about the current temperature.
But the problems did start on an extremely hot day (35+ degrees C). The camera is the wireless variant, which I believe does not support PoE.
At this moment it works again, but the picture is still overexposed (but the quality is ok).
Anything I could try (besides a hard reset and hope that that will work)?

Edit: Tried turning on WDR and the camera became unreachable again.

Last edited:

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think your camera is broken. You can try to hard reset the camera, but I think it's hardware related.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ah a nice sturdy metal pole, that should work better than the 40 year old telephone pole I worked with last.

my big black face would perform really well right there, here is a video I made along time ago of mine:

There is a motion sensor and a contact switch wired directly to the alarm inputs so it knows when something is going on outside its normal view.. now I have many more sensors hooked up on all the doors/windows/mailbox that camera can see and it'll check out anything that sets them off instantly.. otherwise its got default idle preset for daytime and another for night time through my external logic
This is awesome, Nayr! How are you doing the auto tracking when walking into the came FOV? I see that you mention having hard wired sensors on your gate and a motion detector, but I am very curious how you have the camera tracking your movements as you walk.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is awesome, Nayr! How are you doing the auto tracking when walking into the came FOV? I see that you mention having hard wired sensors on your gate and a motion detector, but I am very curious how you have the camera tracking your movements as you walk.
@nayr hasn't been on the forum in a while. He explained in multiple threads (probably including this on) that he was using sensors and his home automation system to command the ptz to different presets. In the particular post you quoted, the video is from a different much larger ptz.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nayre had a lot of good posts and reviews...not sure why he gave up on the site other than the new baby...

Abormot

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there any chance to upgrade this camera so it will not require btowser plugin to view live via web-browser?