Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Curious what areas you are sealing with silicone. I have this camera and want to mount it outside under an eve but would still be concerned about blowing rains in heavy storms.
Any concerns about heat dissipation if every crack is sealed off?

I am also considering opening it up and spraying everything down with this "waterproofing" product as a possible insurance against moisture. No idea if it really works or is just a gimmick though.
NANOPROTECH

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious what areas you are sealing with silicone. I have this camera and want to mount it outside under an eve but would still be concerned about blowing rains in heavy storms.
Any concerns about heat dissipation if every crack is sealed off?

I am also considering opening it up and spraying everything down with this "waterproofing" product as a possible insurance against moisture. No idea if it really works or is just a gimmick though.
NANOPROTECH
I'd assume things like the door for the SD card.

If you want to spray it with something to waterproof it, I'd just use a conformal coating on the circuit board (disassembly required). Not a lot you'd be able to do for the mechanical parts and optics

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I silicone where the base meets the support flat mounting piece. Everything else looked pretty water tight. Rained a little last night and so far so good.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I cut a gasket out of a sheet of the thicker craft foam to seal the top of mine. That's worked well so far. I have it under an over-hang where it's relatively well protected but it still gets some wind-blown rain on it when it storms hard. Took it down to check after a few days of rain this summer and it was completely dry inside as far as I could tell. Haven't seen any fogging, obvious corrosion, etc. Close to a year and it's still alive.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I silicone where the base meets the support flat mounting piece. Everything else looked pretty water tight. Rained a little last night and so far so good.
Be careful when using silicone sealants. I discovered fairly recently that many give off corrosive fumes. Having smothered PFA120 Dahua PTZ connection box ports with silicone over the years, I've been disappointed that, although perfectly dry, some have problems with RJ45 contact corrosion. Some products carry a warranty exclusion if failure occurs where the presence of silicone sealant is found.

The little waterproof enclosure supplied these days with Dahua cameras will clearly be helpful.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for not saying - I was referring to the one for the RJ45 connector (don't know the correct name for it, but it's very good especially when using thickish cat5 like Ubiquity tough cable).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be careful when using silicone sealants. I discovered fairly recently that many give off corrosive fumes. Having smothered PFA120 Dahua PTZ connection box ports with silicone over the years, I've been disappointed that, although perfectly dry, some have problems with RJ45 contact corrosion. Some products carry a warranty exclusion if failure occurs where the presence of silicone sealant is found.

The little waterproof enclosure supplied these days with Dahua cameras will clearly be helpful.
A little Di-electric grease in the RJ-45 would possibly prevented this.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, Mine had those. But it looks like you can only use them if your CAT cables are not yet terminated and you do it yourself. I only have pre-terminated cables as I do not know how nor have the equipment to add my own connectors.

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine also still runs fine in the barn (indoors, but not the most friendly environment):

Are these camera's still available, or is there a newer/better version on the market now (in the same price range)?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
We had a good rain the other day for Southern California and we got 1.52" where I live. The camera held up find and is doing the job. Amazing camera for the money. The camera was available last September when I bought it from Andy. You might check him for stock.

stress1ner

n3wb
Reaction score
I just got one of these last night and so far things look really good.

Configuration took all of 5 minutes, the hardest parts were :
-figuring out that I had to press the reset button to get the camera to start up the first time it was powered
-finding the default login credentials (this info was no where in the documents in the box)

I added the camera to Blue Iris, it auto-discovered the camera instantly and perfectly, including all the PTZ controls. Even setting the PTZ presets in BI works!

I will let this camera burn-in in my lab for a couple of days before I mount it outside (soffit mount, weather protected).

If the camera performs as I expect, I am planning to replace all my turrets with this model.
Hey what are your settings in blueiris i cant get the presets to work?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could someone with this camera post a couple of full wide \ full zoom pictures day and\or night so I can get a good idea of how far the 4x zoom would be effective for ID of an individual? I'm trying to decide where this would be the most useful for me to mount it on the house.

Reaction score
Could someone with this camera post a couple of full wide \ full zoom pictures day and\or night so I can get a good idea of how far the 4x zoom would be effective for ID of an individual? I'm trying to decide where this would be the most useful for me to mount it on the house.
You didn't play the YouTube videos Nayr posted on the first page? The first one shows the camera zoomed full out on the car in the driveway. Then later, he zooms full in on the garbage truck picking up the trash at his neighbor's house. This camera is only 4x zoom, so it's only good really for short distances. Also, it needs to be well covered as it's not designed for exposure to the elements.

Mags

n3wb
Reaction score
hello,

I just luckily found this forum. I had purchased Lorex LND4750ABW,
Audio HD IP 2K Dome Security Camera, 150ft night vision, wide angle lens

The video quality is not that good, especially at night, under the street LED light. 20-24 feet out, the image is grainy and I can't distinguish any facial characteristics. I'm struggling w/ Lorex support because I say, it's a flash update issue and they say purchase a more expensive bullet camera. They claim only bullet types can increase facial characteristics. i purchased this dome because it provides much wider angle of coverage. I've had issues when people trespassed the property and went outside of the visible angle of my former bullet camera.

What would you recommend? Get a bullet, buy a set of IR illuminators and you can suggest another camera ?

Soepkip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I decided to test this camera outdoors and it still works after a few months of operation. I mounted it on a pole with the PFB302S and PFA103 mounts and wrapped some duct tape around the top (where the PFA103 connects to the camera).
It survived a storm and temperatures of -10 C so I hope it will keep working fine outdoors.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How does this camera compare to the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE other than it is PTZ? How is the picture quality compared to this? Durability? Wind? Rain? Would I be better off just going with the 5231?