Will Windows 11 Make Windows an even more corroborated mess?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
It needs TPM:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Like many of us on this forum and elsewhere, I've built/repaired/used PC's since DOS days circa 1983. Heck, I was using CP/M on Kaypros and Osbornes before that. For me, they were simply tools and a means to do my job......design, monitor and maintain traffic signals.

I bought an Apple II in 1980 to play with at home and write Basic programs to teach my daughter the alphabet. Quit smoking in '87 so I rewarded myself with a Mac SE. It wasn't long before I figured my brain was wired PC and not Mac...to each their own.

I just rode the tide wherever it took me..many versions of DOS, Win 3.1/3.3, Win 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1 and now 10. They all did what I asked and I generally only upgraded if I couldn't do what I wanted or needed to do with what I had...call me an old fart but I don't like fixin' things that ain't broke. If it works, leave it alone.

At last I'm very happy with 10; by now I've learned how to do a fresh install from a flash drive using the MS Tool and set up and activate with NO MS ACCOUNT; how to increase performance by disabling so much of the startup crap, privacy intrusions, app notifications and animation crap, how to disable auto-hide on scroll bars, and add desktop icons for PC and network, etc. and so on....you know what I mean.

My point? I'm happy with 10 and don't care about Windows 11. All the eye candy, bells and whistles just don't crank my tractor...a PC is still just a tool for me, a means to an end. I don't need to be amused or my attention held like a 5 year old with a PlayStation.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

EDIT: Oops! I forgot 8/8.1 (thanks, @David L )
Hey Tony..LOL I still have a KAYPRO believe it or not.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since some Atoms and Celerons are officially supported this must not be a performance issue. So what is it? Something like a built in backdoor for Bill and/or Joe?

Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors
I am always late on these things. I checked my BIOS on my Asus Z170 motherboard and could not see TPM option, in RUN (Windows Key + R) I tried TPM.MSC and got this:
1624844601114.png

After checking Web, found out my BIOS may not have an On/Off Option but checked the Manual and I have a 14 Pin slot for a TPM Chip/Module. Kewl, BUT, they are Out of Stock/Sold Out every where, and being scalped since MS announced they are needed for Windows 11. Add the chip shortage :( I did order one from a site, we will see if they get any in. From what I am reading you just have to check your motherboard for the slot, then purchase the TPM for your motherboard brand.

1624844976314.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know I won't going to Win11 any time soon for certain. None of my machines have TPM, processor issues aside.
I have a 4th Gen Asus motherboard that shows a 20 pin TPM slot, but doubt I will find a TPM Chip/module for that machine.
Wonder how laptops will fare...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I am always late on these things. I checked my BIOS on my Asus Z170 motherboard and could not see TPM option, in RUN (Windows Key + R) I tried TPM.MSC and got this:
View attachment 93747

After checking Web, found out my BIOS may not have an On/Off Option but checked the Manual and I have a 14 Pin slot for a TPM Chip/Module. Kewl, BUT, they are Out of Stock/Sold Out every where, and being scalped since MS announced they are needed for Windows 11. Add the chip shortage :( I did order one from a site, we will see if they get any in. From what I am reading you just have to check your motherboard for the slot, then purchase the TPM for your motherboard brand.

View attachment 93750
This is just one way to get rid of the old hardware that is running well on windows 10, you know how many 8 or 9 year old systems I have out there running windows 10 VERY well with a ssd? Too many to count.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is just one way to get rid of the old hardware that is running well on windows 10, you know how many 8 or 9 year old systems I have out there running windows 10 VERY well with a ssd? Too many to count.
Maybe this is part of the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11. Encrypted Login?

1624845871117.png
TPM is to be used for device identification, authentication, encryption, and device integrity verification.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe this is part of the Microsoft Account requirement for Windows 11. Encrypted Login?

View attachment 93751
TPM is to be used for device identification, authentication, encryption, and device integrity verification.
Microsoft was always envious of Apple's total control on ALL of their devices, This will just make it easier for Microsoft to send the deathstar to your P.C. when you disagree with the "NEW STANDARDS" or easier to compute the new "Internet Tax" that will surely be headed our way.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still chugging along just fine with win 7 on the desktop and linux on the laptop.
I loved windows 7 and have a old laptop and a few PC's that still have it, heck I have a computer with every OS since MSDos came out. Wait I lied.. I skipped windows 2000 and Windows ME, they were nightmares.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
All my old computers worth using at all are fine on Win10, and I'm content to leave them there.

If 2025 rolls around and Win10 support ends, I will figure out then whether upgrading anything is worth the hassle.

I have a NUC (fourth generation, 4230 I think) that has Linux Mint and Win10 dual boot, but haven't had time to play with it in a year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I can see why people appreciate a good screen grab over a phone photo of an LCD screen, with all the glare and pixelation. I will really try, where I can,,,,To use the Msft snip n sketch Fn tool now that I have been able to see how that works/saves files. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any Retinal damage I may have caused the forum. :cool:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I am sure that you will be able to setup the desktop GUI anyway you want.
Example; I have Windows 10 looking like Windows 95.
You can put the task bar icons to the left. However, so far as I know, the Windows 10 menu is icons not a list without an option to use the old style.

Are you guys having this problem with Home version? I have not had this problem with Pro. Guess Pro is more setup for business networks...
It seems to be a new feature. I set up a new laptop for a friend a few weeks ago. Couldn't find a way to turn the account log in off.

I'm surprised PC magazines etc haven't led a rebellion. It's obvious what is probably happening here - my guess is MS is going to make money out of selling your data as once you're logged in, they can potentially identify everything you do, every website you visit, every app you use, maybe even what you write using text recognition / voice recognition etc. That could be valuable data - a website potentially ideniifes you by your hardware signature or MS generated code or licence and if MS have sold them your data, then could potentially target you with adds. Poteially, this is bye bye privacy.

I've managed to dodge it on my own pc so far by simply clicking out of the update set up when the dialogue asks you to create / enter a MS log in. For how long though remains to be seen. It re-sets up every few weeks when I turn on.

Reaction score
All my old computers worth using at all are fine on Win10, and I'm content to leave them there.

If 2025 rolls around and Win10 support ends, I will figure out then whether upgrading anything is worth the hassle.
Although I'm primarily a Mac guy, I use both Windows and Linux on a regular basis. Windows 10 has evolved into a reasonable OS, to the point where many older machines seem to run it better than Windows 7. One of my hobbies is rescuing older laptops from estate sales and garage sales, upgrading them to Windows 10, and then donating them to an educational charity in Sierra Leone. The free upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10 has saved a lot of hardware from the recycling bin. I've taken laptops built ten or more years ago and installed cheap SSDs with Windows 10 to turn them into useable computers.

Windows 11 will be a huge step backwards. Older hardware will not run it, and eventually Microsoft will end Windows 10 support, at which point a whole lot of otherwise useful laptops will head to the landfill. The same thing might have happened with Windows 7, except that Microsoft maintained the free upgrade path from 7 to 10. When Windows 10 support ends, users will be forced into the same choices as Windows 7 users: either upgrade your computer, live without the latest security patches, or switch to Linux.

On top of that, it appears that Microsoft is removing the option of a local user account with Windows 11. You can still work around Windows 10 trying to force you into using a Microsoft account, but that door may be closing now. It's unclear if a local user account will even be possible on a Windows 11 machine.

Windows 11 will be a boon to hardware manufacturers by forcing users to junk a lot of equipment, much of it not even that old. And given Microsofts's own forays into hardware sales, such a move will help their bottom line even if the OS is given away.