Will Windows 11 Make Windows an even more corroborated mess?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like many of us on this forum and elsewhere, I've built/repaired/used PC's since DOS days circa 1983. Heck, I was using CP/M on Kaypros and Osbornes before that. For me, they were simply tools and a means to do my job......design, monitor and maintain traffic signals.

I bought an Apple II in 1980 to play with at home and write Basic programs to teach my daughter the alphabet. Quit smoking in '87 so I rewarded myself with a Mac SE. It wasn't long before I figured my brain was wired PC and not Mac...to each their own.

I just rode the tide wherever it took me..many versions of DOS, Win 3.1/3.3, Win 95, 98, ME, 2000, NT, XP, Vista, 7, 8/8.1 and now 10. They all did what I asked and I generally only upgraded if I couldn't do what I wanted or needed to do with what I had...call me an old fart but I don't like fixin' things that ain't broke. If it works, leave it alone.

At last I'm very happy with 10; by now I've learned how to do a fresh install from a flash drive using the MS Tool and set up and activate with NO MS ACCOUNT; how to increase performance by disabling so much of the startup crap, privacy intrusions, app notifications and animation crap, how to disable auto-hide on scroll bars, and add desktop icons for PC and network, etc. and so on....you know what I mean.

My point? I'm happy with 10 and don't care about Windows 11. All the eye candy, bells and whistles just don't crank my tractor...a PC is still just a tool for me, a means to an end. I don't need to be amused or my attention held like a 5 year old with a PlayStation.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

EDIT: Oops! I forgot 8/8.1 (thanks, @David L )

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Classic shell will make win 10 look like the old versions.
I use it for people that do not want their pc upgraded. It works about 70% of the time.

Windoze 11 will be a free upgrade, they have even more big brother stuff in it. They make money off of our data,
I think they need to pay us to use windoze.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a list, anywhere, of the IP addresses that Win phones home to? Some firewall rules might be worthwhile.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been using Start 8 and Start 10 software ever since the "Tiles" showed up after Win7. I will not however be using it on the newly stablized Elitedesk g4 800. it's a media creation tool install, with intel driver help from Fenderman. I'd be a nut to add anything to that machine while it's running so good. My optiplex 9020 and 7010 have start10.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been using Start 8 and Start 10 software ever since the "Tiles" showed up after Win7. I will not however be using it on the newly stablized Elitedesk g4 800. it's a media creation tool install, with intel driver help from Fenderman. I'd be a nut to add anything to that machine while it's running so good. My optiplex 9020 and 7010 have start10.
Start8 and Start10...I've installed literally several dozen of those on 8 and 10 machines when they first came out and folks (especially folks MY age) just couldn't get the hang of it. I would even change the "Start" button to look and appear when moused-over like that on XP or 7 as needed to help them either further. Good bargain in software for $4.99, IMO.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
More reason to port BI to linux:

Microsoft to require Microsoft Account and network connection to set up Windows 11 Home

"For the past few years, Microsoft has been making it intentionally harder for consumers to set up new Windows PCs without signing in with a Microsoft Account. It's still possible, with a few tricks, with Windows 10. But with Windows 11, Microsoft will require consumers to have a network connection, plus a Microsoft Account (MSA), to set up their PCs for the first time in order to reduce customer confusion, officials said."

It's for your benefit, trust us! The obvious answer is to not use the home version, but won't this creep into all of the versions?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I would love to use BI with Linux. I would have absolutely no issues with that. Its absurd that Microsoft wants to eavesdrop on people's privacy

More reason to port BI to linux:

Microsoft to require Microsoft Account and network connection to set up Windows 11 Home

"For the past few years, Microsoft has been making it intentionally harder for consumers to set up new Windows PCs without signing in with a Microsoft Account. It's still possible, with a few tricks, with Windows 10. But with Windows 11, Microsoft will require consumers to have a network connection, plus a Microsoft Account (MSA), to set up their PCs for the first time in order to reduce customer confusion, officials said."

It's for your benefit, trust us! The obvious answer is to not use the home version, but won't this creep into all of the versions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"....Microsoft will require consumers to have a network connection, plus a Microsoft Account (MSA), to set up their PCs for the first time in order to reduce customer confusion, officials said."
"To REDUCE customer confusion"?
Do they think we're really that dumb and stupid?
"Oh, I need another account so I won't be confused". Gimme a frickin' break.
We all know it's so MS can know what you do, what you look at, where you go, where you've been so they can target you with ads and spam the hell out of that e-mail you had to use to create the MS account.
:mad:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My short experience with having windows with a microsoft account is that you can't use windows if the machine isn't connected to the Internet. Meaning if you have a laptop on the road with no wifi available, it's a brick. Did I miss some trick to get windows started without a connection?