Where do you generally purchase your cameras? (USA)

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to figure out what cameras I want to mount around the exterior my house. Where online do you generally purchase your cameras? I'm specifically looking at Dahua or Hikvision since they tend to come highly recommended. I'm hoping to find cameras in the $100 range give or take.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got my very first camera (Hikivision 3MP dome) from B&H Photo. That was important to me, as they're an authorized reseller, which made me eligible to contact Hikivision support directly. The two times I tried to do that, their support was no help. Ended up finding the solution on the forum here.

All of my cameras since then have been Dahua Starlight turrets. AFAIK, they're only available via AliExpress. I bought 2 from a no-name store (I really wanted them pronto), and the rest I've purchased from the store below. That store is run by Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), who has spent a crazy amount of time supporting forum members here (both with getting them the cameras they need, as well as escalating tech support stuff that the forum members here couldn't figure out). He ships via DHL also. It's amazing how fast they can arrive here in the US after they ship...

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Buying from Ali, I know I'm forgoing official Dahua support, and if I need any warranty work, it's on my dime to ship back to Andy, but for the price, it's worth it for me. Although technically I haven't seen the US price for the specific model cameras I bought since they're not for sale here yet, but compared to some other models that B&H Photo is reselling, there''s definitely a big markup involved.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't need the nvr, but a set of exterior cameras would be good.
Generally you get better cameras and cameras better suited to the location when you buy mix and match rather than buying a bunch or super wide angle cameras.

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Generally you get better cameras and cameras better suited to the location when you buy mix and match rather than buying a bunch or super wide angle cameras.
So by mix and match are you saying buy a la carte, or that the kits usually mix and match for you?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So by mix and match are you saying buy a la carte, or that the kits usually mix and match for you?
a la carte. Decide where the camera is going to go then pick the right camera for that location. The varifocal starlight turret is nice because you can zoom in and out to get it just right for a particular location.

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
a la carte. Decide where the camera is going to go then pick the right camera for that location. The varifocal starlight turret is nice because you can zoom in and out to get it just right for a particular location.
Gotcha, makes sense. That is not a cheap camera (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), but I guess you get what you pay for.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gotcha, makes sense. That is not a cheap camera (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), but I guess you get what you pay for.
This one is fixed focus and has a smaller aperture (less light at night :() but is still pretty good for about $130-140
Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

I'd start with an IPC-HDW5231R-Z and an IPC-HDW4231EM-AS experiment with them a bit and decide what you want and want to spend.

Interpon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nellys security has always helped me and answered my questions. Support no matter what you buy. I bought hik

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends on which cameras. Some like my Avigilon are only available through authorized resellers.

Dahua and Hikvision are readily available in the grey market...and people seem to be fine with it. If I needed to buy through an authorized reseller for HIkvision I would go to Wrightwood or Bhphoto. It'll be more expensive than grey market on Amazon, AliExpress, etc. Wrightwood is good if you want some help. BHphoto not as helpful...need to know what you want. Both options for DIY.

If you plan to have a professional install you might consider sourcing the cameras as a part of that contract so you have a turnkey solution and one person to be accountable for the system while it is under warranty. Otherwise, you could end up with alot of finger pointing if something doesn't work.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Got my very first camera (Hikivision 3MP dome) from B&H Photo. That was important to me, as they're an authorized reseller, which made me eligible to contact Hikivision support directly. The two times I tried to do that, their support was no help. Ended up finding the solution on the forum here.

All of my cameras since then have been Dahua Starlight turrets. AFAIK, they're only available via AliExpress. I bought 2 from a no-name store (I really wanted them pronto), and the rest I've purchased from the store below. That store is run by Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), who has spent a crazy amount of time supporting forum members here (both with getting them the cameras they need, as well as escalating tech support stuff that the forum members here couldn't figure out). He ships via DHL also. It's amazing how fast they can arrive here in the US after they ship...

Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Buying from Ali, I know I'm forgoing official Dahua support, and if I need any warranty work, it's on my dime to ship back to Andy, but for the price, it's worth it for me. Although technically I haven't seen the US price for the specific model cameras I bought since they're not for sale here yet, but compared to some other models that B&H Photo is reselling, there''s definitely a big markup involved.
can get the same support from us , we may do better than USA distributor, lol. Till now we make 99.5% people satisfied.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.... That store is run by Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY), who has spent a crazy amount of time supporting forum members here (both with getting them the cameras they need, as well as escalating tech support stuff that the forum members here couldn't figure out). He ships via DHL also. It's amazing how fast they can arrive here in the US after they ship...

I second this. I've bought a few things from Andy. VERY fast shipping from China. (Last order was done on a Thursday and cameras received Tuesday (5 days)) which is crazy fast. Very good support and good prices

votive

n3wb
Reaction score
Returning a LaView (re-branded Hikvision?) 4k/4*4MP system.

We found ipcamtalk last week. After learning about Duhua Starlight, camera apertures and their use, and the excellent vids by nayr and others, we just bought the Duhua replacement items from Andy today.

Plus, with all the support here for Duhua, we know it will be worth the effort.

Andy was straight forward and patient with my queries.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Returning a LaView (re-branded Hikvision?) 4k/4*4MP system.

We found ipcamtalk last week. After learning about Duhua Starlight, camera apertures and their use, and the excellent vids by nayr and others, we just bought the Duhua replacement items from Andy today.

Plus, with all the support here for Duhua, we know it will be worth the effort.

Andy was straight forward and patient with my queries.
Thanks buddy! For the stock of the hot selling models i always keep stock now, so can ship out very fast, same day shipping.
Right now just the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and IPC-HFW8232E-Z no stock in, others all ok. The 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z now also very hot too, good for good light area in the night.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks buddy! For the stock of the hot selling models i always keep stock now, so can ship out very fast, same day shipping.
Right now just the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 and IPC-HFW8232E-Z no stock in, others all ok. The 8MP IPC-HDW5830R-Z now also very hot too, good for good light area in the night.
Any idea when you will be getting the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 in?