[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

granroth

n3wb
Reaction score
This feels like it would be a FAQ but at least my searches came up short (maybe wrong keywords) so I'll ask now: is there a way to practically suppress the motion capture JPG snapshots from being viewed as alerts while still passing them off to AI Tool for processing?

That is, I followed the steps at the beginning of this thread and successfully got AI Tool 1.67 working with a Deepstack running in Docker. It is very good at determining people and so far I haven't had any false positives. All alert videos in my BI feed have been those triggered by AI Tool and they've all had people in them. Sweet!

But it's very difficult to even see those particular alerts since the entire feed is flooded with the raw motion capture JPGs. I'm seeing 1,135 clips with 323 triggers in just the past few days. They show up in the iPhone app like "Snapshot (390K) jpg DeepQuestAI".

I can (and do) just scroll down until I see a video since those will always be from AI Tool... but I'd really not have to wade through scores of clips just to find the rare video (since 90% of triggers aren't people at all).

So back to my initial question -- is there a way to have BI still trigger on motion and push the screen captures to the aux directory for AI Tool but not display them as an alert at all, so all I see are the triggered videos?

chris.h

n3wb
Reaction score
@granroth there is an option on the record tab in blue iris to include jpeg in all clips, with that unchecked i dont see any. there is also a setting on the trigger tab "add to alerts list" I have this selected to none

Im also using the send MQTT image in aitool as a way to show the latest positive trigger to home assistant.

setup a mqtt camera in HA
- platform: mqtt
topic: ai/[cameraname]/image
name: motion_detected_snapshot

then in the automation/notification message just add the image
data:
image: /api/camera_proxy/camera.motion_detected_snapshot

Now all i need to do is fix the way the snapshot is displayed, as the top and bottom of the image get clipped off

ManFromKC

n3wb
Reaction score
There is an easier way to do this. Setup the Blue Iris integration through HACS. I have a blueprint listed on the HA forums that works via an input Boolean. When AITool gets a positive result, it sends an MQTT message. I have nodered take the message and turn on the input Boolean. When the Boolean is activated HA takes a snapshot of the camera and send a notification to the app with an image. If I tap the notification it takes me directly to the camera feeds.

Its near instantaneous. The snapshot from HA is nearly identical to the blue iris/AI tool snapshot. There’s also a feature for a persistent notification that even if your phone is on silent it will make a sound on your phone and watch. Good use for doorbell or a camera location where movement probably requires review.

chris.h

n3wb
Reaction score
I did try and get that integration working a few days ago.. but couldn't make it work.

I've learned a lot about HA since then so i'm giving it another go now.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The windows GPU version works the first time I installed it, but after a reboot, now it won't start anymore. redis-server.exe processes did not start within 858ms. If I try to manually restart it it says "ERROR". I don't understand this because it worked and I changed nothing.

Reaction score
So I've half managed to migrate from AI Tool 1.65 to the (latest?) VorlonCD version 2.0.760.7721. Cameras are all doing what they should be but I'm getting errors in the AI Tool log re access denied for saving settings, as below.

6/03/2021 8:28:28 AM SaveAsync Could not save settings: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\AITool Version 2.0.760.7721 etc etc.Settings.JSON.bak' is denied. [UnauthorizedAccessException] (In
AppSettings.SaveAsync:211) Error AITOOLS.EXE Deepstack_Objects:192.168.1.200:83 LaundryDoorAi None 826068 2 39 False AITool.[2021-03-04].log

There's 3 of these errors each time - all very similar, and sometimes another one about "unable to open database file [SQLiteException]".

Can anyone point me in the right direction to sort this please? Is it a setting in AI Tool or a firewall block or a Windows thing? Running on a Win10 pc.
Thanks for your help.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What could be the cause for the GPU version of Deepstack not to work?

And the Deepstack windows version to give an "ERROR" in AI Tool?
In the log file: redis-server.exe processes did not start within 858ms.

I have a 1080TI.

Reaction score
I'm using a build from 3/3/21 (VorlonCD) that was posted on here. I thought that previously I'd been able to set a different telegram chat ID for one of my Cameras but can't seem to find how to do that now. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this?

Reaction score
I'm using a build from 3/3/21 (VorlonCD) that was posted on here. I thought that previously I'd been able to set a different telegram chat ID for one of my Cameras but can't seem to find how to do that now. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this?
Replying to my own question. The option is at the bottom of the camera settings page - My screen resolution/ window size caused the bottom of the window to be cropped.

Springer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What could be the cause for the GPU version of Deepstack not to work?

And the Deepstack windows version to give an "ERROR" in AI Tool?
In the log file: redis-server.exe processes did not start within 858ms.

I have a 1080TI.
This sounds like the same problem I bumped into. In the 2021.02.01 version of Deepstack they have dropped support for older GPUs. To verify, go to the AI Tool Deepstack tab and hit the stderr.txt button and scroll through the log.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This sounds like the same problem I bumped into. In the 2021.02.01 version of Deepstack they have dropped support for older GPUs. To verify, go to the AI Tool Deepstack tab and hit the stderr.txt button and scroll through the log.
I dont think so, my GTX 1050Ti works fine as does my other GTX 750

Jim davis

n3wb
Reaction score
Question: I have been using the AI Tool since it came out and have upgraded / updated as each new version has came out. I run everything on WIN 10, all parts (BI, AI, DS) are on the same machine. No Docker or anything like that. I have noticed when I need to reboot or re start everything, that about half the time (on the deep stack tab) instead of saying "Running" it will say "not activated running" I will either leave it alone and it changes to running or I just keep hitting stop, start or sometimes I just hit the save button and it changes back to running. I don't really think it is a issue/error but am curious as to what is going on- Any ideas?
[/QUOT

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also don't think this is the problem, it worked the first time with a 1080ti, but then stopped working (after reboot I think).

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doubt it I am running a GTX 745 and it's still working fine on the latest release. Have checked it's still using the CPU.
A 1080ti, while not a 3000 series is not an old GPU. Wasted in this application though.

balucanb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if you were having the same issue since you quoted me however, this was quite some time ago @Jim davis and subsequent builds have corrected the issue for me.

drew0713

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,
I just recently got BI set up on a new Desktop and I have Docker running in HA with DeepStack AI Tool. I currently have one camera on the system trying to get everything working and fine tuned before I add in more cameras. I have set up 2 instances of the same camera one the substream and the other the mainstream. In the DeepStack AI tool log it shows this

[05.03.2021, 13:40:19]: ERROR: Processing the following image 'G:\Blue Iris\AI_Input\GarageSD.20210305_134019281.jpg' failed. Failure in AI Tool processing the image.
[05.03.2021, 13:51:31]: ERROR: Processing the following image 'G:\Blue Iris\AI_Input\GarageSD.20210305_135131880.jpg' failed. Failure in AI Tool processing the image.
[05.03.2021, 13:51:36]: ERROR: Processing the following image 'G:\Blue Iris\AI_Input\GarageSD.20210305_135136895.jpg' failed. Failure in AI Tool processing the image.
[05.03.2021, 13:55:24]: ERROR: Processing the following image 'G:\Blue Iris\AI_Input\GarageSD.20210305_135524669.jpg' failed. Failure in AI Tool processing the image.
[05.03.2021, 13:55:29]: ERROR: Processing the following image 'G:\Blue Iris\AI_Input\GarageSD.20210305_135529696.jpg' failed. Failure in AI Tool processing the image.
[05.03.2021, 14:34:57]: ERROR: Processing the following image 'G:\Blue Iris\AI_Input\GarageSD.20210305_143457476.jpg' failed. Failure in AI Tool processing the image.

and in the Docker logs it showing this

[GIN] 2021/03/07 - 23:26:26 | 200 | 22.145µs | 192.168.1.31 | POST /v1/vision/detection

[GIN] 2021/03/07 - 23:52:12 | 200 | 49.403µs | 192.168.1.31 | POST /v1/vision/detection

[GIN] 2021/03/07 - 23:52:19 | 200 | 16.393µs | 192.168.1.31 | POST /v1/vision/detection

[GIN] 2021/03/07 - 23:52:32 | 200 | 33.354µs | 192.168.1.31 | POST /v1/vision/detection

[GIN] 2021/03/07 - 23:52:37 | 200 | 30.917µs | 192.168.1.31 | POST /v1/vision/detection

[GIN] 2021/03/07 - 23:53:24 | 200 | 25.205µs | 192.168.1.31 | POST /v1/vision/detection

Not sure what's going on. I followed the set up from The Hook Up youtube channel for setting this up. I have set up 3 objects for detection. Any help would be greatlly appreciated!!

(Oh yeah, BI v5 and AI Tool v1.67)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I followed the set up from The Hook Up youtube channel for setting this up.
That's your first problem LOL. Let's hope you aren't using Reolinks too LOL...

At least you found this thread and the great folks here can get you squared away...

drew0713

n3wb
Reaction score
That's your first problem LOL. Let's hope you aren't using Reolinks too LOL...

At least you found this thread and the great folks here can get you squared away...
That's kind of funny you mention Reolink, cause that's what I'm using. Got the new ReoLink RLC-811a. Somehow I feel like I'm on the wrong end of a bad joke :(
I guess I'm going to have to do a deeper dive on which camera I need.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's kind of funny you mention Reolink, cause that's what I'm using. Got the new ReoLink RLC-811a. Somehow I feel like I'm on the wrong end of a bad joke :(
I guess I'm going to have to do a deeper dive on which camera I need.
We have many threads here, several just in the past two weeks, where someone followed this youtuber advice and got reolinks and now it won't work right and they came here looking for answers (and should have came here first LOL)...

Let me give you an example as to why Blue Iris and Reolinks do not work well together, and why it then makes it even more problematic with a Reolink to try a third party application like AI Tools...just because you saw it on YouTube doesn't mean the person is an expert LOL....between paid testimonial from a camera manufacturer and ad revenue for hits...At least you found this site and the creator of AI Tools that hookup mentioned...

This was a screenshot of a user's Blue Iris status where they had set the cameras to 15FPS within the cameras and they were missing motion:

1614727286960.png

Even though they have set it for 15FPS, look at what the camera is doing - dropped some down to below 1FPS but none are 15FPS. Now look at they key - that is the iframes. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1 if it matches the FPS. The iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why people have problems. This is mainly why people are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris. It is these same games that make the camera look great as a still image or video but turn to crap once motion is introduced.

Now compare the BI camera status above to cameras that follow industry standards that allow you to actually set parameters and they don't manipulate them. You will see that the FPS match what is set in the camera, and the 1.00 key means the iframe matches:

1614139197822.png

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and these cameras cannot do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... The iframe rates should equal the FPS (something these cameras do not allow you to set), but at worse case be no more than double. This example shows the cameras going down to a keyrate of 0.24 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...and thus the difficulty it will have with any Deepstack program

This is totally out of control of Blue Iris and there is nothing that can be done about it - it is clearly a limitation of the cameras. All the updating in the world on Blue Iris will not correct this deficiency as it isn't a deficiency of Blue Iris.

Blue Iris is great and works with probably more camera brands than most VMS programs, but there are brands that don't work well or not at all - Rings, Arlos, Nest, Some Zmodo cams use proprietary systems and cannot be used with Blue Iris, and for a lot of people Reolink doesn't work well either.

Last edited: