[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found the solution. It had to do with regional settings for decimal points. Found it here: Deepstack returned 'Invalid value for min_confidence' · Issue #136 · VorlonCD/bi-aidetection
Now everything is working great. Also the image copy to the network drive. Really nice update overall compared to 1.65. Really loving the MQTT messaging.
That's great news and thanks for the heads up on the comma/period issue. I was not aware of that.

Nick3399

n3wb
Reaction score
When updating the VorlonCD AI Tools to the latest version, I must be doing something wrong because every time, it hangs and does not work properly.

I download the latest version from the github
right-click ZIP and unblock
unzip
open in visual studios and build as a new project
Open the program by going to src>UI > bin> Debug > AITOOLS
The program opens and I see that the settings are all saved

Error states: Reverting to REGISTRY backup settings...

Also all new images stay stuck in queue.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

clowg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting AITool setup for the first time. Using the 'greater than v1.67' option for flaging clips.

The UI of BI (& AI Tool) has moved on a bit since Post 1 was last updated, so I have a question about the right config setting to choose.

In section 2.3 Configure each camera it says "Now go to 'Trigger', check 'Capture an alert list image'". My version of BI doesn't have that option:

1613187570946.png

I assume its now part of the 'Add to alerts list:' drop down? What is the right option to choose in that drop down?

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When updating the VorlonCD AI Tools to the latest version, I must be doing something wrong because every time, it hangs and does not work properly.

I download the latest version from the github
right-click ZIP and unblock
unzip
open in visual studios and build as a new project
Open the program by going to src>UI > bin> Debug > AITOOLS
The program opens and I see that the settings are all saved

Error states: Reverting to REGISTRY backup settings...

Also all new images stay stuck in queue.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Just a guess, are you sure your downloading the correct files? I suspect you have downloaded the files required to build the application. If you want application files already built you need to download them from the vorlonCD released section.

Nick3399

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a guess, are you sure your downloading the correct files? I suspect you have downloaded the files required to build the application. If you want application files already built you need to download them from the vorlonCD released section.
The latest version that I show from the releases is 2.0.37 from the release page:

There are versions up to 2.0.7x though -- where do I find those builds?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Chris, VorlonCD hasn't done an official release for some time as when he does he updates the instructions and list of changes / additions and he's not had the time to do that yet.

Nick3399

n3wb
Reaction score
Chris, VorlonCD hasn't done an official release for some time as when he does he updates the instructions and list of changes / additions and he's not had the time to do that yet.
The last change/addition was 15 days ago per the github source..

clowg

n3wb
Reaction score
In addition to the last question I asked, I have another. What is the right combination of settings so that you get a video recorded for a confirmed detected object? I thought the 'trigger URLs' were supposed to tell BI to record a video now that AITool had confirmed there is an object of interest in the frame? I only get JPGs with a Flag and the [summary] text included - no video.
Thanks for your help.
G.

CAL7

n3wb
Reaction score
The last change/addition was 15 days ago per the github source..
I'm curious what version most people use to upgrade. I searched this thread over the last week and found, in addition to the official VorlonCD release, versions 526, 569, and 626. I went with the latest I could see:

I don't mind taking a chance to be on the leading edge but I'd prefer not to be on the bleeding edge.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm curious what version most people use to upgrade. I searched this thread over the last week and found, in addition to the official VorlonCD release, versions 526, 569, and 626. I went with the latest I could see:

I don't mind taking a chance to be on the leading edge but I'd prefer not to be on the bleeding edge.
As soon as their is a new commit I rebuild, but then I'm happy to test everything out and report any bugs. If you have a version that does all you want then their is probably no point in going with the latest until it has been tested for a while.

clowg

n3wb
Reaction score
In addition to the last question I asked, I have another. What is the right combination of settings so that you get a video recorded for a confirmed detected object? I thought the 'trigger URLs' were supposed to tell BI to record a video now that AITool had confirmed there is an object of interest in the frame? I only get JPGs with a Flag and the [summary] text included - no video.
Thanks for your help.
G.
I have tried enabling Recording video on the [Record] tab, but this means that BI is recording continuously (I assume because there is a lot of motion in the scene - outside and windy day). Is there a configuration that avoids the continuous recording?
These are my settings:

1613369077809.png next1613369122552.png
1613369054018.png next1613369153110.png

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have tried enabling Recording video on the [Record] tab, but this means that BI is recording continuously (I assume because there is a lot of motion in the scene - outside and windy day). Is there a configuration that avoids the continuous recording?
Yes, just setup clones for your cameras and configure accordingly. It will then only record if AITOOL recognises something you have listed. I use clone mode as I have no wish to capture video of false alerts.

clowg

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, just setup clones for your cameras and configure accordingly. It will then only record if AITOOL recognises something you have listed. I use clone mode as I have no wish to capture video of false alerts.
Thanks Village Guy. I wondered if that was going to be the answer. Back to that setup then.

Last edited:

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Village Guy. I wondered if that was going to be the answer. Up to back to that setup then.
Your welcome, I have been a proponent of Clone mode from the start of this project. It's disappointing that the BI developer will not give an option to only record on external trigger as we would then no longer need a cloned camera.

seth-feinberg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@seth-feinberg
Here are the setup images for one of my system cameras and the last image is simply changed to show continuous recording. I suspect you may need to disable the HD stream if you find the continuous recording is in HD resolution. As configured the camera will monitor in SD (NOT RECORD) and when triggered send an HD snap to aitool for investigation. BI will automatically make the stream switch if you configure the pre trigger buffer for about 2 seconds. On my system aitool will send an external command to the clone which is set to record in HD for 60 seconds and continue to record if retriggered during that 60 second period.
Hey @Village Guy, finally carved out a sec to look at this, would you mind sharing a screenshot of your trigger tab please?

Reaction score
Just from my personal perspective and previous thefts/experiences. continuous recording is your second line of defense.

(everybodys setup and situations vary, so YMMV)

Reaction score
Rolled this out today as a long-time Sentry user. Pretty cool stuff you put together OP. Thank you.

Looking forward to animated gifs in the notifications maybe someday?

spammenotinoz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just from my personal perspective and previous thefts/experiences. continuous recording is your second line of defense.

Yep so many people are going to be disappointed, recoding only from clones.
That being said, although I do constant recording with AI Tools flagging alerts, I have now setup clones to record a "timelapse" daily video summary of AI validated events in a single video per cam.
Then when I watch the actual footage, AI Tool as great as it is, misses a lot, but was heck more accurate than sentry.

Village Guy

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I'm intrigued by your comment. Can you share your reasoning for recording static video. Are you inferring that capturing video 30 seconds before an event along with the WHOLE event being recorded is in some way inferior to recording continously. Is it a legal requirement in your country?