POE NVR not providing power to devices

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Just bought all new equipment through the IPCamTalk store. I'm unable to get the POE NVR (Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KS2E) to provide power through my cat5e to my POE devices.

Things I've done:
  • Connected a 12v power source to the camera, ipcam lights up, connection no problem, and the camera is recognized/feed visible. However, try to use only the POE port, and any camera doesn't get power.
  • updated the NVR to latest firmware
  • swapped/tested/made new cables (cables transmit data without problem)

Is there a property on the NVR to enable POE power output? Or should this be enabled by default? If anyone can help, I'm completely stumped at this point and have researched until im blue in the face.

Thanks in advance!

Devices:
IPC-T5442TM-AS
IPC-Color4K-X
IPC-K42A
NVR5216-16P-4KS2E
Cat5E

CC @EMPIRETECANDY

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
When you plug the camera into the NVR do you see if there any lights on the back of the NVR by the RJ45 plug?

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Negative, there are no lights on the nvr ports to indicate connection, other than the network port. (Tested /w 12v power+rj45 and visible feed)

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
If your cables tested ok, I would say the POE switch was DOA.

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea the cables tested ok, and transmit a live feed on 12v. DOA :(

Just to confirm, there is no property to enable POE, it should be enabled out of the box?

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure these POE NVR's are active out of the box. I believe if you power up the NVR there is a section for the switch, but I don't think there is no control over on / off. I think I have one here I can pull and take a look.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What termination did you use for the CAT cables, 568A or 568B or something else? Are they pure copper cables and not CCA, copper clad aluminum? Have you verified every pair and conductor on those cables?

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
What termination did you use for the CAT cables, 568A or 568B or something else? Are they pure copper cables and not CCA, copper clad aluminum? Have you verified every pair and conductor on those cables?
568B, solid copper cat5e cable (link above), i did notice my connector is cat6? (Connector Link) I dont think this is the problem b/c i've also used retail premade cables.
Testing done with - (Tester Link)

1650823499678.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jolino

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR5216-16P 4KS2 has no lights at the ports, so you cant check for indicator lights.
Assuming you have the 4.0 firmware in NVR, from the head menu in NVR check your BPS under Operation.
Is there any traffic on the ports?

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR Firmware:

1650825186785.png

BPS with and without 12v power - same network cable. No traffic on the port with RJ45 only.

1650825530049.png

Jolino

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR Firmware:

View attachment 126124

BPS with and without 12v power - same network cable. No traffic on the port with RJ45 only.

View attachment 126125
[/Q
NVR Firmware:

View attachment 126124

View attachment 126125
Strange, Have you try put the camera in a PoE injector or separate switch? It´s more common that the PoE breaks in the cameras..
are you running default 10.1.1.65 and so on for the built in switch?

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Negative, I don't have anything else POE beyond this NVR.

Although I don't think its the cams? All 3 types (8cams total) (bullet/turret/indoor) don't get power, and work with a 12v. That'd be quite the shipment of lemons.

The NVR assigns the cam IP in the 10.1.1.x range automatically - I haven't manipulated that. The ip isn't the case though imo as it cant detect the cameras w/o power.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the drawing is correct, that has an internal switching power supply; a 120VAC cord powers it like a PC and the PSU supplies 48 to 52VDC for POE, 12VDC for the 3.5" HDD and 5VDC and other voltages as needed by the boards inside.

Just wondering if the POE portion is kaput.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a Poe injector or poe switch you can confirm that it isn't a statistical improbability that every Poe on each camera is shot? But it does sound like bad Poe on the NVR.

LeDareBear

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have a Poe injector or poe switch you can confirm that it isn't a statistical improbability that every Poe on each camera is shot? But it does sound like bad Poe on the NVR.
No unfortunately, not able to test any other configuration.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
I opened one up to check -
There is no on /off for the switch or any lights on the back for POE. (noted above)
With these NVR's there is no initialization needed for the cameras, when you plug them in they should show up in the camera list, plug and play.
This is assuming you have the NVR all set up as you said you updated the FW, so my guess still is the switch is out.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Take the HDD out and check again.
Normally POE cameras are plug in and play when connect to the POE ports, If still same so the power module on the NVR burned. Will get you a new power module to replace If still same.

Maintraxx

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, how did you solve this issue. I bought a NVR5216-16p-4ks2e from ebay and it has the same problem. The PowerSupply is ok and privides 52V to the PoE Board, but all 16 Ports do not deliver power the cameras nor my poe tester.

Maybe you sold your NVR and now i got it? ;-)