Performance and general questions

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct I was initially running at 20fps but went ahead and dropped down to 15 as many people seem to believe that is the sweet spot. When these hiccups were occuring it was at 20fps with the iframe set to 20. I went ahead and per your suggestion set it to 15 now.

Changed to .7 now

See it how it goes
did you uncheck object detect reject?

Reaction score
did you uncheck object detect reject?
I did indeed.

And I just noticed it did it again. It catches the movement beautifully for a few seconds then suddenly stops... I thought at first it might be something with the camera as the imbedded time recording stopped with it... but when I check BI the recording also stops then jumps 10 seconds. If it was something with the camera I would imagine BI would continue to record that stopped frame for those 10 seconds, but it doesn't.

Bizzare

I'm currently trying to see if it happens with any of the cameras.

It does seem to be happening with the others. What seems odd is that sometimes it works perfectly, and other times seems to be a glitch and then a jump of about 7 to 10 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
So its happening normally at night from what I gather and the issue looks like this:

I can't seem to figure it out what setting is making it happen. From everything I look at it, seems to work fine during the day (i think)... and 99% of the recordings work without issues, but occasionally this does happen.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is ghosting..try running at constant bit rate and see if it helps...
What hard drive are you recording to?

Reaction score
I thought changing to constant bitrate had solved the problem, as you can see the next day it worked beautifully

However last night it decided not to work...

I can't seem to figure out why as the problem seems to occur randomly, and almost always at night. Here are the settings on that camera

I was doing some research with "ghosting" and it was suggested to set the I Frame to half the FPS, does that sound logical?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen that recommendation...too low and you will overload the stream...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure blueiris exe is excluded from any antivirus software....you may want to disable it for testing purposes..

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see the BI Frame rate shows 20, the camera shows 15.

Reaction score
Blue Iris is excluded, i've checked anything else that i can think of, that runs during the night like defragment but that is run once a week at the moment.

The I frame stuff I read here when searching blue iris ghosting.
http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=8750.0
http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=4766.0

Fender had previously suggested those fps settings and they seem to be working fine, and seem to make sense. Let BI handle which 15 frames out of the 20 it gets to record.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If someone is not watching the cameras 24x7 the live view could be set a lot lower. I have mine set to 5fps and it seems to work well even for watching 24x7. This won't affect your recording fps. Dropping your recording to 20fps, or even 15 will leave you with a very good video capture.

For reference, I have a 3770k for my system and I am running 10x 3MP cameras (all hikvision running at 3MP). Normal cpu usage is 40-50% and when I have multiple triggers (2-3 usually) the cpu will hit 90-100%. I am not using direct to disk though.
Really still 90 to 100% with an i7 3770k. I had been looking at that or a 3790 i7. Currently I run six 3MP Hikvisions and eight 1MP or less cameras. But I need at least four of the Hikvisions recording for me to hit 90% with my 3.1 Ghz core i5. Although I do record to an SSD. So maybe that helps. I plan on picking up four more 3MP Hikvisions which is why I was thinking about getting a core i7. I run my Hikvisions at 20fps which is the max at the max resolution but I have BI4 set for a variable frame rate. And the cameras are set for a constant bitrate of 4096. I also have all the camera buffers maxed out in BI4.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Really still 90 to 100% with an i7 3770k. I had been looking at that or a 3790 i7. Currently I run six 3MP Hikvisions and eight 1MP or less cameras. But I need at least four of the Hikvisions recording for me to hit 90% with my 3.1 Ghz core i5. Although I do record to an SSD. So maybe that helps. I plan on picking up four more 3MP Hikvisions which is why I was thinking about getting a core i7. I run my Hikvisions at 20fps which is the max at the max resolution but I have BI4 set for a variable frame rate. And the cameras are set for a constant bitrate of 4096. I also have all the camera buffers maxed out in BI4.
Note that he is not using direct to disk..it would be much lower with d2d...also if you are buying new go with a fourth generation haswell.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note that he is not using direct to disk..it would be much lower with d2d...also if you are buying new go with a fourth generation haswell.
Ok. I had been looking for deals on both 3rd and 4th gen but everytime I find one it seems to sell out quickly. My BI4, core i5 system is a 3rd gen. I don't use d2d in my setup since I like to have overlays and boxes around the movement detected. I also had been thinking about swapping my two main systems and running BI4 on a 3rd gen Core i5 that is clocked at 3.8Ghz(4Ghz Turbo) just to see how it does in comparison to my 3.1 Ghz(3.2Ghz Turbo). But I'm not sur eitf it's really worth the effort.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I had been looking for deals on both 3rd and 4th gen but everytime I find one it seems to sell out quickly. My BI4, core i5 system is a 3rd gen. I don't use d2d in my setup since I like to have overlays and boxes around the movement detected. I also had been thinking about swapping my two main systems and running BI4 on a 3rd gen Core i5 that is clocked at 3.8Ghz(4Ghz Turbo) just to see how it does in comparison to my 3.1 Ghz(3.2Ghz Turbo). But I'm not sur eitf it's really worth the effort.
I would not run it on a overclocked system simply because of the extra power consumption...
Keep an eye out for dell outlet sales via the dell outlet twitter page....or slickdeals.com (you can set an alert)...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, im almost certain that while using direct to disk, you can still have the boxes show motion, it just wont record it...Just like the rest of the overlays..they are still there they dont record...which may actually be a good thing since it wont be blocking anything...as far as the time and date, you add that in at the time of export or just user your cameras timestamp...

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would not run it on a overclocked system simply because of the extra power consumption...
Keep an eye out for dell outlet sales via the dell outlet twitter page....or slickdeals.com (you can set an alert)...
The 3.8Ghz HP system surprisingly draws only a few watts more power than the Dell 3.1 Ghz system. A Dell is what I'm currently using with BI4. Unfortunately the Dell CPU was locked. While the CPU in the HP was unlocked. But I also paid under $400 for the brand new Dell that was normally over $600 so at the time I was fine. But now that I'm switching to 3MP cameras, I wish I had paid extra and just picked up a core i7 system instead for BI4.

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, im almost certain that while using direct to disk, you can still have the boxes show motion, it just wont record it...Just like the rest of the overlays..they are still there they dont record...which may actually be a good thing since it wont be blocking anything...as far as the time and date, you add that in at the time of export or just user your cameras timestamp...
Yes I think that is what it did when I tried d2d. But I like having the boxes in the recordings. I tried d2D for a few days and in the end I just didn't like it as much. Although I do have two overlays, one from the camera and one from BI4. But the camera overlay is in the upper left while the BI4 overlay is on the bottom right.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I think that is what it did when I tried d2d. But I like having the boxes in the recordings. I tried d2D for a few days and in the end I just didn't like it as much. Although I do have two overlays, one from the camera and one from BI4. But the camera overlay is in the upper left while the BI4 overlay is on the bottom right.
I hear you...

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on an Open Box ASus PC with an i7 4770 CPU with 16GB of dual channel memory. For only $500 shipped I couldn't pass it up. I stopped building PCs from scratch a few years ago since it's just so much easier and cheaper to get one already built. Hopefully the i7 4770 will work well(I wanted a 4790 but couldn't pass up the price for this system). Once I get that setup then I can order four more 3MP Hikvision cameras. I'll eventually end up with ten of those 3MP Hikvisions and three 1MP cameras being used with BI4.

My plan will be to use the Asus system strictly with BI4 and then the Dell core i5 I currently use for BI and TiVo will be delegated to strictly TiVo duties