Patch panel vs continuous runs?

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Clearly you planned this out pretty well, but why are you running everything back to the basement instead of putting a POE switch per level?
Multiple PoE switches and running the necessary AC power just didn't seem to make sense. I'm not looking to add cost and failure points, I was just considering being lazy.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many run multiple POE switches so in the event a POE switch goes out, you don't lose all your coverage.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many run multiple POE switches so in the event a POE switch goes out, you don't lose all your coverage.
I can guarantee that the one that did go out would be the one I needed anyways. I'm also gambling on a retired enterprise switch vs. A handful of Amazon switches. I'm probably making the wrong decision though... as usual.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can guarantee that the one that did go out would be the one I needed anyways. I'm also gambling on a retired enterprise switch vs. A handful of Amazon switches. I'm probably making the wrong decision though... as usual.
True LOL.

Those of us running multiple switches have mixed up the coverage. So say you have 4 cameras on the front and 4 on the back and 4 on each side of the house, put 2 from each side on one switch so if one goes out, you don't lose one whole side of the house.

Just something to think about as your cameras multiply like rabbits. Unless you bought a 64 unit enterprise switch, you will probably buy another one at some point, so don't expand to cover all on one, just buy another smaller one and mix up the coverage.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 48 port being delivered tomorrow, so that is going to be enough I hope. Even if wanting to split them up, it would still be easier at a central location I'd think. I was also planning to have a backup switch mounted and ready to go. I could split them, then switch to a single if one fails.

But if I'm going to run multiple switches, I'd better split up my drives also. Aaaand down the rabbit hole we go lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just remember BI supports 64 cameras for a reason LOL.

Yeah my switches are next to each other.

Ah yes, you should have multiple drives employing the same concept of splitting them up LOL.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got my first hdd today and have to figure out what needs to be done to swap that, then what I need to add a second. Baby steps...

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't either, I was just a precaution for me. It really is nothing like a broadcast station. There can be common mode current on the shield of the coax that can, and will radiate. Being in an HOA community, I need to hide my coax and antennas.. For the amount of money I'm going to have in this system, the better cable is nearly irrelevant to me. I could very likely run the cheapest clad cat5e on Amazon and never have a problem.
I have never had any issue with electronics when running 2 meter or 70 CM @ 50 Watts. I did have issue running 80 Meter @ 100 watts with a dipole that was strung up in the trees above my house. Everytime I keyed up, the paper shredder would turn on in my wifes office. Nothing else in the house was bothered by it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I was running an SB220, 2KW PEP, on 15 meters, I took out all the TVs in the neighborhood. 80 and 75 meters weren't as bad, but the neighbors on both sides lost their TV for the most part. Harmonics can be a real PITA.
OMFG - how many TVs did you buy lol

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My 24 port enterprise switche just idles along, and the fans rarely ever raise up beyond cruising RPM's for more than 15-20 seconds, all while carrying a 16ch DVR and 18 Cam BI and an Hp Elitedesk. In a room thats 82 degrees 24/7/365.

RUMBLESTRIP

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tried out the 48 port today, and the 15 ports I tested worked. I couldn't figure out how to access the settings, and it is louder than I'd like. I will probably regrease the transistors and replace the fans with larger quieter fans.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah they are industrial. Supposed be in a Network closet behind a door LOL...mine is in a rack at the center of the condo...in the maintenance man room......could you put it in a cabinet?
Is it a Cisco? If they shipped it with a 715 watt PSU.....Like mine was....That fan was workin....But when I put in the 1100 Watt PSU...it doesn't break a sweat...it cruises along.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
To quieten my HP 2530 I just added a 28ohm 1watt resistor in series with the 12v red wire that powers the fans.

As the fans are 4 wire what I’ve done is not ideal but it has taken away the top end whine of the fan which travels through walls.

Since doing the mod I can no longer hear the switch in the dead of the night on the few hot days that we get here in the UK.