Need help to install my camera

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the LAN?
Best if it is static, ie not DHCP, then you (and the NVR and the PC) always know how to access it.
Is there a way to check if my IP is static or dynamic? I don't know if that's important. I just noticed that my IPv4 changed. Maybe that's why I can't access the web camera IP from my PC browser. Everything was fine now I can't access it on my PC browser like before, most of the times when I try to log in from my phone it's not always working. I don't know what to do..

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My other router supports OpenVpn. Actually for me it's important to access the camera GUI on that router so the camera could record videos etc. I can swap them for a day but I don't know if it makes sense.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to check if my IP is static or dynamic?
Assuming that we are talking about the camera IP address - though to reduce uncertainty you do need to try to be more explicit with the detail -

This is set on the Network configuration pages of the camera web GUI.
If it's set to DHCP - the router offers the camera an address from a pool, when the camera powers on and periodically offers to renew it near when the lease runs out.
It's best practice to fix this IP address so you always know what it is, either by disabling DHCP and setting a fixed address that's valid for your LAN, and outside the the pool of addresses managed by your router
or
use what's known as creating an IP address reservation on your router configuration which tells the router to always offer a specific IP address under DHCP.

Actually for me it's important to access the camera GUI on that router so the camera could record videos etc. I can swap them for a day but I don't know if it makes sense.
To be honest - I don't understand the basis for the question, there isn't enough detail for a response.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After a couple of hours I will reset the camera again. There's no other option because somehow I can't access the camera IP through my browser on the same network. The SD card is full. I will format it. Then I will follow your steps to install the camera. My router is old you said it doesn't have OpenVpn. I have another router on the same network ( different IP because not on the same place ) which support OpenVpn. I was asking if I can use it to install the camera on it and then return the old one. You said it's dangerous to port forwarding. Then I want to use the OpenVpn in the router feature.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, moving the router to set up the camera with OpenVPN and then moving the router back to another IP address range will not do it and then you are back to where you are now.

What about permanently swapping the routers?

The whole purpose of OpenVPN is to create a safe method to put your device when away back into the same IP address as if you are there.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Assuming that we are talking about the camera IP address - though to reduce uncertainty you do need to try to be more explicit with the detail -

This is set on the Network configuration pages of the camera web GUI.
If it's set to DHCP - the router offers the camera an address from a pool, when the camera powers on and periodically offers to renew it near when the lease runs out.
If it's set to DHCP what's going to happen for let's say a couple of days if I turn off the router or the computer? Maybe the IP will change and that's a reason to not be able to access the IP adress on my web? Everything was working good then I installed Zerotier and tried ro upgrade the firmware. I'm not sure what's the reason to not let me in the camera GUI.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, moving the router to set up the camera with OpenVPN and then moving the router back to another IP address range will not do it and then you are back to where you are now.

What about permanently swapping the routers?

The whole purpose of OpenVPN is to create a safe method to put your device when away back into the same IP address as if you are there.
Thanks for the response. If I buy a new router who supports OpenVpn then what I need to do to access the camera GUI ( IP address ) through different networks? How that works exactly?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you set it to DHCP and turn off the router for a few days, in all likelihood it will give the camera a different IP address.

In all likelihood your camera is there you just need to find the IP address of it now. Log in to the router and find the IP address that it assigned the camera. Then log into the camera GUI and give it a static IP address so you can find it again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If I buy a new router who supports OpenVpn then what I need to do to access the camera GUI ( IP address ) through different networks? How that works exactly?
After you setup OpenVPN in your router, then you install OpenVPN on your device and then you turn on OpenVPN and connect and it is like you are there.

OpenVPN simply is a secure method to get back into your router. At that point, the router thinks you are connected to it like you are there.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you set it to DHCP and turn off the router for a few days, in all likelihood it will give the camera a different IP address.

In all likelihood your camera is there you just need to find the IP address of it now. Log in to the router and find the IP address that it assigned the camera. Then log into the camera GUI and give it a static IP address so you can find it again.
I don't have access to this router. My ISP does. I'm using IPConfig to view the camera IP. Is this doing the same thing or not?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPConfig will work to - you just need a program or access the router to figure out the IP of the camera.

Since you now throw another wrinkle into the mix, if you do not own the router, you will need to have your ISP put it into passthrough mode so that you can then put a router after it that supports OpenVPN.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After you setup OpenVPN in your router, then you install OpenVPN on your device and then you turn on OpenVPN and connect and it is like you are there.

OpenVPN simply is a secure method to get back into your router. At that point, the router thinks you are connected to it like you are there.
So with that option OpenVpn in the router I can access my camera through different networks? What I need to do before that? Maybe add IP's of the other networks I will use to watch the camera to join?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, the beauty of OpenVPN is it puts you securely back into your IP address range regardless of where you are.

After OpenVPN is setup in the router, you simply download the certificate that the router creates and put it on any device you want to connect back to your router and then download the OpenVPN app on that device.

From there, you can access your network from any public wifi, mobile data, work, etc.

You are overthinking this and making it way more difficult than it is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are the steps with OpenVPN on a router that supports it:

You will need to create a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you can skip DDNS and pay for a static IP address if your ISP offers that.

OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect whenever away from home and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IPConfig will work to - you just need a program or access the router to figure out the IP of the camera.

Since you now throw another wrinkle into the mix, if you do not own the router, you will need to have your ISP put it into passthrough mode so that you can then put a router after it that supports OpenVPN.
When I reset the camera the IP is going to be default 192.168.1.108. Then I will go to networks and add this IP - 192.168.1.2 and then I will be able to access the camera then create password etc. I will follow those steps - go to the camera website under the network tab and change the camera's ip to match your router's ip range or select dhcp if you dont know. then log out and change your laptop ip back to original or select dhcp .

Should I use dhcp option or not? The first time I used that option. If not which IP adress to add? Maybe I need to go to cmd.exe - ipconfig /all and copy the IPv4 or use Dhcp?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you select DHCP then your camera IP address is subject to change. Make it a static IP address or you will never find it when it changes.

Or just accept the security flaws of port forwarding.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you select DHCP then your camera IP address is subject to change. Make it a static IP address or you will never find it when it changes.

Or just accept the security flaws of port forwarding.
Okay I'm not going to use DHCP. How to see that IP address? Go to cmd.exe and type ipconfig /all and copy the IPv4?

If I use port forwarding can I do that when my cam is installed and then change the port in the settings?

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These days my PC is changing my IPv4 address. At least that I'm seeing in cmd.exe ipconfig /all What if when I install the camera I enter the current IPv4 adress and after a couple of days it changes again and maybe I'm not going to be able to access the camera IP. I want to be sure what IP exactly to put in because the last time I put DHCP

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your PC IP address will change every time you go to a different location and connect to a different internet, or if you log out and turn computer off and log back in. Then when you return, the IP address will change again since your router is handing out IP addresses based on DHCP, but your home IP address will be the same up to the last 3 digits.

Just pick a number to assign your camera that is within the same IP address range and make it static.

Again, you are overthinking this.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Your PC IP address will change every time you go to a different location and connect to a different internet, or if you log out and turn computer off and log back in. Then when you return, the IP address will change again since your router is handing out IP addresses based on DHCP, but your home IP address will be the same up to the last 3 digits.

Just pick a number to assign your camera that is within the same IP address range and make it static.

Again, you are overthinking this.
I'm sorry I just want everything to be alright. So for example if my IPv4 is 192.168.10.15 I can put the same IP for the camera alright?