Need help to install my camera

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe the default IP address of 192.168.1.108 is not in the same range as your LAN.
What's your LAN IP address range?

Use the config tool to change the camera IP address to match your network.
I'm really really sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but how to see my lan IP adress range? My router is close to the camera.
take out a spare switch if you have one.

plug the camera to that switch and also plug your laptop to that switch.
ensure nothing else is plug into that switch

change your laptop ip address to
ip: 192.168.1.2
netmask: 255.255.255.0

then fire up internet explorer on your laptop and key in 192.168.1.108 to access the camera website.
It's working now! Thanks! But I need to get back on my original ip on my pc because I don't have internet. If I do that the camera stop working.

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's working now! Thanks! But I need to get back on my original ip on my pc because I don't have internet. If I do that the camera stop working.
go to the camera website under the network tab and change the camera's ip to match your router's ip range or select dhcp if you dont know.

then log out and change your laptop ip back to original or select dhcp .

now plug both camera n laptop back to router.

go to router's webpage and see what ip is assigned to the camera,

go back to the camera's website and set it static so that you can find it next time.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
go to the camera website under the network tab and change the camera's ip to match your router's ip range or select dhcp if you dont know.

then log out and change your laptop ip back to original or select dhcp .

now plug both camera n laptop back to router.

go to router's webpage and see what ip is assigned to the camera,

go back to the camera's website and set it static so that you can find it next time.
Big thanks again! Now I can open the camera and I have internet at the same time. The problem now is I want to open the camera from different IP address. But it doesn't work.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I'm using gDMSS and it works with different networks. But when I try to open the IP on my PC it's not opening because I'm doing that with different network. Do I need to change some settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
gDMSS is using a port forward or P2P or UPnP or some other insecure method which is why you can see it anywhere.

In order to see it on a computer that is not on your network, you would have to go even more insecure and port forward on your router or go the secure method and set up OpenVPN and VPN back into the system your camera is on.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
gDMSS is using a port forward or P2P or UPnP or some other insecure method which is why you can see it anywhere.

In order to see it on a computer that is not on your network, you would have to go even more insecure and port forward on your router or go the secure method and set up OpenVPN and VPN back into the system your camera is on.
What if I'm using Smart PSS? I saw it's an app for windows.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope....that only works if on same network...unless you OpenVPN back in.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nope....that only works if on same network...unless you OpenVPN back in.

Then I will definitely need to do something because I need to see the camera from different networks. Could you explain me the 2 options you listed up there? The secure & Insecure ways. Thanks again for the help guys! You are amazing people.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Insecure way is to go into the router and Port Forward the ports on the camera so that you can see them from anywhere, but it opens your entire network up to hacking (but that has already been done by virtue of allowing the cameras access to the internet with P2P and UPnP.

The more secure way is to OpenVPN back into your network.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can also put your cpu on the zerotier server. It's basically a worldwide switch. You will be able to see your camera from any device that has zerotier installed and running on it and much more secure than p2p or opening ports.

Zerotier.com

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Insecure way is to go into the router and Port Forward the ports on the camera so that you can see them from anywhere, but it opens your entire network up to hacking (but that has already been done by virtue of allowing the cameras access to the internet with P2P and UPnP.

Thanks for the info. I think I will use the first option because the cam is just outside my house and I don't think someone will have interest to try to hack it. I saw the port on my camera via an app called IPConfig. I hope the port is correct. Now I need to open the router IP address and then?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, they are not interested in your camera feed and that is not why the hack in. They hack in and use the cameras as a means to access your network to perform a DoS attack or steal your banking info. Port Forwarding to a camera is like leaving your door unlocked. Ironic that these cameras have some of the most insecure methods being used - they are rarely updated to fix vulnerabilities.

But if you go that route, yes, you simply log into the router and port forward the port that the camera is using.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I will use the first option because the cam is just outside my house and I don't think someone will have interest to try to hack it. I saw the port on my camera via an app called IPConfig. I hope the port is correct. Now I need to open the router IP address and then?
There are bots on the internet searching for open ports on random networks. It takes a little more work, but I would not open ports. You will get hacked eventually.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are bots on the internet searching for open ports on random networks. It takes a little more work, but I would not open ports. You will get hacked eventually.
I understand. What do you suggest me? I'm new to this and I'm open for suggestions. I just need to do something soon because I need to access the camera from different network.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I understand. What do you suggest me? I'm new to this and I'm open for suggestions. I just need to do something soon because I need to access the camera from different network.
Zerotier is free and easy to set up. I've been using for a little while now and it's been flawless.

You will have to install the program on each computer you have, then they are all securely connected together on the internet.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here is the link I used when setting it up. I know the video is for Blue Iris, which it sounds like you don't have, but the basic idea is there.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the link I used when setting it up. I know the video is for Blue Iris, which it sounds like you don't have, but the basic idea is there.

Thanks. Maybe I will use this but I want to make it possible to access the camera on different networks by just typing the IP in the browser.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks. Maybe I will use this but I want to make it possible to access the camera on different networks by just typing the IP in the browser.
Yes, zerotier will allow you to do this. Think of it like a private network switch that covers the whole planet. It sets up a virtual network interface card on each of your computers and you get a private ip address in the same range of the other devices, which basically puts all of your machines on the same private network which is hosted by zerotier.

mmip

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, zerotier will allow you to do this. Think of it like a private network switch that covers the whole planet. It sets up a virtual network interface card on each of your computers and you get a private ip address in the same range of the other devices, which basically puts all of your machines on the same private network which is hosted by zerotier.
Sounds good. So now I have at least 3 option. The first one is Zerotier, the second is to port forward ( not secured ) and the third is to use VPN or what? I will be glad if there's a way to access the camera with just typing the IP in the browser like I'm doing when I'm on the same network. Maybe it's in the camera settings? Not sure.