IPC-T54IR-ZE-S zoom setting question.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, I only record on motion. I also have a second BI installation that is doing the same thing. That BI version is from around May of this year. My BI version is the current latest stable version.
I wonder if the record on motion is the reason?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have mine set to just continuous. I don't want continuous sub + trigger. Maybe I'm missing something here. I don't want the substream recorded, I want the best possible quality for a recorded video. Set me straight if I'm wrong again. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have mine set to just continuous. I don't want continuous sub + trigger. Maybe I'm missing something here. I don't want the substream recorded, I want the best possible quality for a recorded video. Set me straight if I'm wrong again. Thanks.
Continuous is certainly better than just on triggers, but if you spent the time to dial in your motion settings, you will find that rarely does something happen that you miss the mainstream recording. It can happen, but not often.

Hopefully you are at least using substreams to bring down daily CPU usage. You can use substreams to take advantage of the CPU savings it provides while still only recording continuous

While storage is cheap, recording 24/7 mainstream does go thru the storage faster. So the substream allows you to get a little more storage.

Further, when playing back recorded video of multiple cameras, the CPU isn't as bogged down trying to display X number of cameras in mainstream resolution.

I know I am getting good mainstream recording around my property based on triggers, but to help piece together the movements of a perp out on the street or sidewalk at 60 feet away, whether it is mainstream or substream, IDENTIFY quality is not there at 60 feet with a 2.8mm fixed lens, so go with the lower resolution.

Here is a great thread @samplenhold put together explaining this in more detail:

And here is a thread I created where I found out by accident when a camera reverted to D1 resolution and I was still getting a 3rd party plate reader to read the plates.

Tell me that this D1 resolution isn't good enough for putting together the pieces of what was happening around you:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Continuous is certainly better than just on triggers, but if you spent the time to dial in your motion settings, you will find that rarely does something happen that you miss the mainstream recording. It can happen, but not often.

Hopefully you are at least using substreams to bring down daily CPU usage. You can use substreams to take advantage of the CPU savings it provides while still only recording continuous

While storage is cheap, recording 24/7 mainstream does go thru the storage faster. So the substream allows you to get a little more storage.

Further, when playing back recorded video of multiple cameras, the CPU isn't as bogged down trying to display X number of cameras in mainstream resolution.

I know I am getting good mainstream recording around my property based on triggers, but to help piece together the movements of a perp out on the street or sidewalk at 60 feet away, whether it is mainstream or substream, IDENTIFY quality is not there at 60 feet with a 2.8mm fixed lens, so go with the lower resolution.

Here is a great thread @samplenhold put together explaining this in more detail:

And here is a thread I created where I found out by accident when a camera reverted to D1 resolution and I was still getting a 3rd party plate reader to read the plates.

Tell me that this D1 resolution isn't good enough for putting together the pieces of what was happening around you:

Yes, I have substreams, but there is just too much we need to see even without movement multiple times, that substream just isn't quite good enough.

With 13 cameras my cpu is running about 11% to 13% most of the time. When there is a lot of movement on multiple cameras, it goes up, but not past 50%.
There are 8 of the 5442 variety, and 5 SD5A425XA-HNR

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I have substreams, but there is just too much we need to see even without movement multiple times, that substream just isn't quite good enough.
Every use case is different.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With 13 cameras my cpu is running about 11% to 13% most of the time. When there is a lot of movement on multiple cameras, it goes up, but not past 50%.
There are 8 of the 5442 variety, and 5 SD5A425XA-HNR

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are using 15fps, but what bit rate are you using?

Also, in the morning for the first few hours, we contend with the sun this time of year on our PTZ. Is there anything we can do to help this out?

Main SW PTZ 2023-11-06 08.25.28.517 AM.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 4MP cameras are mostly bitrate of 8192 and my 4K are around 12,000.

With each camera I use 8192 as the starting point and then go up and down until I don't see a difference. The lower the bitrate the more storage you get. The higher the bitrate, the more detail you get...to a point. Sometimes running too high a bitrate over sharpens everything (especially the 4K cameras) and uses up storage faster.

Yeah that sun bloom is a typical issue.

That is one of the things I love about the new GUI is the ability to multiple profiles, so you can create say a two hour profile that uses WDR to fix that problem above.

Contrast that with the old GUI that only has 3 profiles (really two since one is general for 24/7 and then a day and night profile) where if you ran heavy WDR to combat that few hour sun issue, then the rest of the day is using WDR when not needed and compromising quality. That or you use APIs to turn it off and on, but that requires a basic understanding of how to set and code that up.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed it to continuous sub +triggers and it didn't change anything.
perhaps try a different substream profile after the find / inspect? I have 3 options: (substream 1,2, or 3) in addition to the mainstream. Just a guess...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most use H264 due to the macroblocking of H265.

Plus some cameras are poor with H265 even if they can do it.