How often does your HikVision NVR become "comatose"? What do you then do?

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Some months ago, I had a great ordeal with my new HikVision DS-7608NI-SE/P dying on me - and even a replacement unit also dying.

Anyway, I received back a re-installed PCB from HikVision, which I then installed in my NVR and got back in business. Firmware is now V2.3.9 build 140820.

However, the NVR becomes "comatose" from time to time: It becomes impossible to contact (even if LAN-LED is still lit - which it may or may not be); over LAN or directly by hooking up a monitor/mouse. It just happened (again) a couple of hours ago; I was using playback to view some earlier recordings, when suddenly the browser (Chrome) reported that USSCWebComponents had stopped working - and that was it! Done deal; NVR in a coma!

Only options to get it back to life is either to a) do a hard reset (toggle power-switch), or b) re-install firmware (using tftp-server).

According to HikVision, one should NEVER(!) use a) above, as it may damage the firmware and brick the NVR! Distributor is quite adamant in this regard, and maintains that it will void warranty etc. doing so.. :notrust:

On the other hand, b) above is quite tedious - and furthermore, it seems that the NVR will NOT read/import config-files, even if they have indeed saved/exported using SAME firmware-version(?! :eek:). At least not via the web-interface - does it have to be with a USB-drive directly connected to the NVR?

In either case, the above options require me to be physically present to bring the NVR (and consequently my entire CCTV-setup!) back to life. This is really not what I envisioned...!

Anyone out there with the same kind of experiences??

BR Bo

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In my case - DS-7816N-E2/8P, zero stalls or crashes so far, admittedly with only 2 months service, firmware V3.0.8

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This should not be happening... It's useless to have an nvr that locks up like that... Replace it or consider putting it on an outlet that you can control remotely... Also there is no way a hard reset will brick the unit.. That makes no sense at all... Otherwise there would be lots of bricked units after power outages ..

DrBo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This should not be happening... It's useless to have an nvr that locks up like that... Replace it or consider putting it on an outlet that you can control remotely... Also there is no way a hard reset will brick the unit.. That makes no sense at all... Otherwise there would be lots of bricked units after power outages ..
Yeah, that's my point - I kind of miss my old VCR-based system, which went on for 10+ years with only minor issues. What exactly do you mean by controlling an outlet remotely? I have considered buying a UPS - but would hate to shell out $70+ on potentially "nothing" (especially since we haven't experienced any outages here for a long time - yes, I know that even very stable power experiences small "glitches" from time to time - but nothing else in my household has indicated that power has been out).

I fully agree that toggling power should NOT affect firmware - the unit should just reboot like anything else you would think of cutting the power to (even your PC).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SP64SM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687402&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0039OZKPE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19A0N0Y59J5QZRXAXZYE
Ive never used it but aside from remotely rebooting any device, it can ping your NVR and reboot it if it gets no response.

Or if you want something simpler http://www.amazon.com/WeMo-Electronics-Anywhere-Automation-Smartphones/dp/B00BB2MMNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419783867&sr=1-1&keywords=wifi+power+outlet

But I would not use any of those...your NVR seems to be defective...replace it. You can try a UPS to see if a power issue is causing this...who knows.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ADCS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a DS-7608N-E2/8P with firmware 3.0.8 and it has reset itself twice (that I have noticed) while looking at playback in chrome on a desktop connected to my network. I have only had the NVR running for 2 weeks so I will continue to monitor it.