Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TBH I am going off the Dahua brand as quality control has dropped significantly over the past year IMHO.
I have noticed the same. For the first time I’m returning two dahua cams. I hope some newer cams come out with good specs that actually perform. Seems they’ve tried to cheap out lately and sell cams with decent specs but don’t live up to them.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have noticed the same. For the first time I’m returning two dahua cams. I hope some newer cams come out with good specs that actually perform. Seems they’ve tried to cheap out lately and sell cams with decent specs but don’t live up to them.
Which model you compare? The new one and old one?

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which model you compare? The new one and old one?
I ordered two IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV and they are pretty bad. At first they seem like great cams but they start to completely fail as soon as there’s high information density on the screen. The cams will reboot and flicker. I have a long thread on this if you look at my history.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The full color camera has gohest at low light place, i only recommend the low light cams for the good light place. This also on hikvision colorvu too.
Daytime all well, Night time has big difference.

By the way, the HDW3849H-AS-PV just about half price compare to the 4K hikvision colorvu.
But if dahua has hardware issue, need to be replaced.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a clip of my Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L) with a 2.8mm lens and Shutter set to 1/200 sec with a little HLC and around 55% Gain which I can JUST capture the cars registration

Note what is different in the video and the sound should give you a clue!!

View attachment Hikvision.20210316_000004_1.mp4
Hikvision.20210316_000412347.24.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
So far there is no traffic out. Cold and windy for SoCal. I had a car go up the street in the upper right corner and there was no problem with ghosting. The main purpose of this camera is to protect the cars and get a nice picture of anyone lurking around them. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So far there is no traffic out. Cold and windy for SoCal. I had a car go up the street in the upper right corner and there was no problem with ghosting. The main purpose of this camera is to protect the cars and get a nice picture of anyone lurking around them. :)
Yeah, we never have subjects when we want them LOL.

Super jealous of the light you and ljw2k have!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Andy. You can even read the lettering on the front tire of the Jeep. By the way keep us posted on the new offerings from Dahua, especially the 5442E-Z12E when it comes out.
Lol, that is digital zoom, not optical zoom.
OK, when it coming out i will let you know.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, we never have subjects when we want them LOL.

Super jealous of the light you and ljw2k have!
TBH the new LED street lighting is a little underpowered if you ask me here is another capture from my other 4k camera @ 1/20 Sec to show you just how good the ColourVu is in dark situations.

k.20210316_035110494.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol, that is digital zoom, not optical zoom.
OK, when it coming out i will let you know.
Hmmmm, Now I am going to have to school myself on digital zoom versus optical zoom. I think I know but? Question? Is the HFW5241E-Z12E Digital Zoom? Ooops, the specs say it is optical zoom.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm, Now I am going to have to school myself on digital zoom versus optical zoom. I think I know but? Question? Is the HFW5241E-Z12E Digital Zoom? Ooops, the specs say it is optical zoom.
Optical would be any camera with a varifocal lens, so the zoom is happening or has happened real time. Digital is when you are playing something back and zoom in. Well some cams and NVRs allow you to digital zoom real time as well, but the varifocal is the main difference between optical and digital zooming.

The Z12E is an optical zoom! And like you I would love to see the 5442 series with that zoom!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
HFW5241E-Z12E optical zoom. 12x zoom
Fixed lens cam most of them has digital zoom only.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TBH the new LED street lighting is a little underpowered if you ask me here is another capture from my other 4k camera @ 1/20 Sec to show you just how good the ColourVu is in dark situations.
Personally I have never been a fan of LED lighting - it is super bright, especially looking at it, but doesn't seem to have the dispersion of other types of lights.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I have never been a fan of LED lighting - it is super bright, especially looking at it, but doesn't seem to have the dispersion of other types of lights.
I will try get a phone shot of how dark it really is in my street and I could not wait till the council said they was going to change from the yellow sodium lighting to the new LED lighting I was excited but now it is installed I think the sodium lit the street better so I know what you are saying. I am lucky as I have a street light to the right of my house.

1x led steet light to the right
5x led street light looking up the street
No led light looking left until you get to the main road.

Total 6 street LED lights for around 70 properties so not that good :)

Last edited: