Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With the caveat that I'm not a BI user --- that's bytes per second, as opposed to bits per second in the camera bitrate settings.
Thanks for the reply Alastair. Please look again at the numbers - 100x not 10x. This is my first Hikvision camera and don’t know if there’s something else behind this. Another easy check for me to do by the way was to to look at the file sizes vs continuous recording time.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
as pointed out by others the cam is kbits and bi is bytes.
1 bit = 0.125 Bytes
Interesting reply spammenotinoz, thanks for that. Are you sure, it seems most unlikely. Remember that VBR and CBR give the same result. 1.6Mbit is a very very very low maximum number for 8MP, even using h.265. And, there are many similarities with Dahua cameras - they show the correct bitrate in Blue Iris when using CBR h.265.

Good to hear from you by the way.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming with a snapshot ljw2k!
Wow David, I agree that doesn't make sense, even for VBR that is a ridiculously low BitRate, I am confused.

If it wasn't for the screen shot showing 8MP, I would have thought you have connected to the Sub-Stream!! But your screen grap looks very clear.

I am only guessing, wondering if the BI stats are wrong, can you screen shot the Camera Tab from the BI Stats page. Click on the Icon with the Graph with the Arrow then Cameras (sorry if you already know this).
Sorry for the dump, but are you using H.265+? I don't believe that is officially supported, but I just turned it on and noticed my bitrate reduced by 6 fold!! Still not as low as yours , but I am going to keep one cam in H.265+ and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow David, I agree that doesn't make sense, even for VBR that is a ridiculously low BitRate, I am confused.

If it wasn't for the screen shot showing 8MP, I would have thought you have connected to the Sub-Stream!! But your screen grap looks very clear.

I am only guessing, wondering if the BI stats are wrong, can you screen shot the Camera Tab from the BI Stats page. Click on the Icon with the Graph with the Arrow then Cameras (sorry if you already know this).
Sorry for the dump, but are you using H.265+? I don't believe that is officially supported, but I just turned it on and noticed my bitrate reduced by 6 fold!! Still not as low as yours , but I am going to keep one cam in H.265+ and see how that goes.
The picture quality of this Hikvision camera really is very good. It looks just as good in BI as in the camera GUI. The BI stats are not wrong (file size/duration check) and I'm not using h.265+.
Stats extract below - Mycamera 1 (not yet named) is the Hikvision camera and Drive 1 is a 5442
Maybe I had one too many beers this evening whilst watching Marcella...
PS. In BI speak, 1 bit =0.1 Bytes and not 0.125
PPS. Been fiddling with the noise reduction, Hik bitrate is a bit higher

Screenshot 2021-03-02 232025.png

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all, great thread on this new camera. I'd like to try it out but i've become pretty comfortable and accustomed to the Dahua NVR's. I have the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2. It seems as though there are some limitations in using this NVR with some Hik cameras. Have any of you used this new DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) Hik camera with a Dahua NVR and seen good results?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey all, great thread on this new camera. I'd like to try it out but i've become pretty comfortable and accustomed to the Dahua NVR's. I have the Dahua NVR5216-4KS2. It seems as though there are some limitations in using this NVR with some Hik cameras. Have any of you used this new DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) Hik camera with a Dahua NVR and seen good results?
Hi, I have that NVR with a mix of Dahua and the discussed Hikvision cameras. It works fine for basic recording, motion detection etc. I did not find the camera straight away via the NVR find, I had the group be the NVR it's exact IP and then change the Port etc, you also must turn on Onvif on the camera via its web Interface or it will not work at all with the NVR, it's not called Onvif though, it's called Enable Open Network Video Interface and it's under Network-Advanced Settings.

Any AI stuff etc will clearly not work direct from NVR as it's not a Hikvision NVR.

Hope this helps.

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is there any chance a manufacturer can make this in a turret format?

or is it basically not possible due to the sensor size and distances to the lens, ect...?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting reply spammenotinoz, thanks for that. Are you sure, it seems most unlikely. Remember that VBR and CBR give the same result. 1.6Mbit is a very very very low maximum number for 8MP, even using h.265. And, there are many similarities with Dahua cameras - they show the correct bitrate in Blue Iris when using CBR h.265.

Good to hear from you by the way.
Not heard of anyone getting seeing it that low before but 1.6Mbit is not impossible if on VBR. VBR adjusts according to what is in the frame and if there's no movement so no appreciable change between frames then it's entirely possible.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I noticed in one of the camera links under Image it says this has "Day/Night Switch:Day, Night, Auto, Schedule"
So, dumb question but I assume this does not have IR lights or IR filter...so what would it be switching to with auto?

Without a B&W IR option, should I assume I would have to have at least some minimal amount of permanent lighting of the covered area at night?
I like the night images from the youtube video in the 1st few posts but that guy clearly has a lot of light between the 2 buildings IMO based on the tree shadows. I have a few areas with no exterior lighting to cover.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed in one of the camera links under Image it says this has "Day/Night Switch:Day, Night, Auto, Schedule"
So, dumb question but I assume this does not have IR lights or IR filter...so what would it be switching to with auto?

Without a B&W IR option, should I assume I would have to have at least some minimal amount of permanent lighting of the covered area at night?
I like the night images from the youtube video in the 1st few posts but that guy clearly has a lot of light between the 2 buildings IMO based on the tree shadows. I have a few areas with no exterior lighting to cover.
Yes you need some light no magic here. I haven't tried built in light though just relying on street light. While picture is color and amazing I still prefer my other G2 IR cams in the back because they can work in total darkness with IR.

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone mounted this camera under a soffit so it looks like the one in the picture. I rather not have to cut a hole through the brick wall. I'm assuming the 2087 has an elbow joint that turns 90
degrees like this HK cam in the picture. Thanks.

1615587359372.png

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone mounted this camera under a soffit so it looks like the one in the picture. I rather not have to cut a hole through the brick wall. I'm assuming the 2087 has an elbow joint that turns 90

View attachment 84510
Yes mounted just like that under soffit. I put a 1x4 plank between roof supporting 2x6 (not sure the right name for it)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
for the mysteriously low BI bit-rate:
  • are you using H265? that compresses video a lot more compared to H264 (at the cost of CPU at both ends...)
  • i note you have I-frame interval of 3-4x your FPS. try setting i-frame interval to same as frame rate. more I-frames will certainly bump up the bit-rate on a static image...

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 84510
That is how I will be mounting mine when it arrives next week. Also under a wood soffit.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
for the mysteriously low BI bit-rate:
  • are you using H265? that compresses video a lot more compared to H264 (at the cost of CPU at both ends...)
  • i note you have I-frame interval of 3-4x your FPS. try setting i-frame interval to same as frame rate. more I-frames will certainly bump up the bit-rate on a static image...
Hi pozzello
I think you maybe missed the key points on the low bit rate comments:
1. Regardless of the compression, when set to CBR, the camera stays in VBR
2. Regardless of the I-frame setting, the I-frame stays at 100. For example, this is 10 seconds with a fps of 10

Nevertheless, having now had this camera in operation for many days, my observation is that it doesn’t matter that these two functions don’t work - its video performance is still excellent. It’s been very windy for a couple of days with trees and other foliage swaying about. With the bitrate set at maximum, the measured bitrate result rockets with correspondingly excellent video. Might only be a problem for those who don’t record 24/7 and have to wait for a key frame when triggered.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
my bad. i see now your cam runs with 10 sec i-frame interval. that does explain the low static image bitrate and could indeed be a problem for BI triggers. how odd...

also, did they really do away with the B&W completely? My G1's (2347) do go to B&W in 'night' mode (tho not IR, of course). Haven't really compared B&W to color in very low light, but there could still be some advantage there...

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I just relocated the 6MM version of this camera to another spot which I hope will work out better. Here is the first picture with no adjustments to this area. I need to drop it down a tad.

Camera LP5 4K.jpg

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was just thinking that the tree and wall being so close to the camera might have an effect on it. The new location will not have those problems. We shall see.
With a f1.0 lens aperture, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a noticable effect on the depth of field. I have a 4MP ColorVu with a f1.0 lens and ended up opening the case and adjusting it to optimize the focus for closer range.

I'm thinking about getting one of these 8MP models to try out, that's a reasonable price for what it is. I do wish it were in a turret style.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 4mm version on the way from Andy. It should be here tomorow and I have everything ready to go for the installation. :) As to the above camera I will take a night picture. There is a surveillance light above the camera and I am wondering if it will to "too" much light. Hahahaha

Last edited: