Hikvision - Clearing Passwords and/or Loading Firmware via TTL Serial

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
screen as like freezing as like picture below
Perhaps the connections are not correct.
Have you confirmed that when you connect TX and RX from the USB convertor together, with no connection to the DVR, characters that you type show on the screen?
Do you have baud=115,200, 8 bits no parity set in the terminal?
Try PuTTY, it always works well. Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)

Reaction score
can anybody tell me how to download all file from a new DVR by this process.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The method varies.

Interrupt the bootloader, use the help command to see what is available for your model, and paste the result here so we can comment.

Reaction score
Hi all :)

And what I can do if I receive this screen please?

DVR Model: Hikvision DS-7216HUHI-K2, support up to 8 Mpx HD-TVI, "died" after firmware update over the remote network ...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Last edited:

Fry

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all :)

DVR Model: Hikvision DS-7216HUHI-K2, support up to 8 Mpx HD-TVI, "died" after firmware update over the remote network ...

Thanks in advance!
Make sure your speed in putty is set to 115200. looks like it is not set right.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As @Fry suggests - and also check your connections.
You could get that effect if GND and TX and RX are mixed up.

Also - the screenshot of the VGA/HDMI interface suggests the DVR is operating.
What does SADP show for the status?

Reaction score
Make sure your speed in putty is set to 115200. looks like it is not set right.
Yes, my speed is exactly 115200!

I set that speed on COM port and on Putty also!

Here is the pictures how I connect to the serial port!

Because I don't have needed cable I realize cable which connects extra audio IN ports to the mainboard is the same I make bridge connection with utp cable to the serial cable what I have (this programmer I use for alarm systems). Firs of all I check how many volts give me programmer - it's 3.80V, which I think is not problem and I check on the DVR serial port where is the + and GND and I make connections with UTP cable, once I see something happens, then I think I make connection properly ....
What do you think, is this cause of unproper connection?

Attachments

Reactions: ibm
Reaction score
As @Fry suggests - and also check your connections.
You could get that effect if GND and TX and RX are mixed up.

Also - the screenshot of the VGA/HDMI interface suggests the DVR is operating.
What does SADP show for the status?
I connect my laptop to DVR directly with network cable and I set IP address of laptop to 192.0.0.128 and when I try to ping the DVR which factory IP is 192.0.0.64 I have perfect ping.

I try also to swap TX and RX cables, but doesn't connect, then I think this connection is right.

PS> I forgot to say for SADP - SADP and iVMS doesn't see DVR on the network!

Reaction score
Yes usually DVR starts, showing loading screen and then go to main screen with the cameras, but how you can see I don't have access to the main menu, because I cannot choose username, but I can write password ...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if there some solution for this issue please?
Difficult to know without hands-on.
Suggestions :

Try a baud rate of 9600 and see if that makes a difference.

With the USB convertor unplugged from the DVR, list the voltages on each of the 4 pins of the connector on the DVR using the metal case for the negative probe.
List the voltages on each of the 3 pins of the connector on the USB convertor, with the negative probe on GND

With the USB convertor GND wire connected to the metal case of the DVR, connect the USB convertor RX wire in turn to each of the DVR pins that do not show 0V or 5V

On the DVR, I'd expect the pins to be as follows:
The pins on the connector are offset - closer to one side than the other.
Looking at the connector on the DVR so that the pins closest to the side are to the left, and starting at the top -
GND (connect to USB convertor GND)
RX (connect to USB convertor TX)
TX (connect to USB convertor RX)
VCC (do not connect)

Good luck!

ex-r-wagon

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to get a DS-7608NI-E2/8P to take a firmware update to get the password reset. Have the TTL-USB connection set up, have the IP address on the laptop set at 192.0.0.128, have the NVR and the laptop connected thruogh a hub, have the TFTP server open and running with the digicap file in the same folder. I can start Putty and Ctrl-u, then u to start the upgrade process. After entering the device ip 192.0.0.64 and the upgrade server ip 192.0.0.128 and confirming (y) I get "Downloading: T T T T T T T T...". It's like the server is not running or the ip address of the nvr is wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to do the upgrade via the ethernet port and TFTP first however I never showed any connection or activity in the TFTP server window. Laptop is running Windows 7.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the laptop connected thruogh a hub,
Presumably you mean a switch - not actually a hub?
If it really was a hub, you may well get a lot of retransmits, though I would not expect complete timeouts (that's what the T is)

have the TFTP server open
If this is the Hikvision tftp updater - what IP address does it show in the status window after it starts?
Do you get a link detect for each of the ports that the laptop and the NVR are connected to?
For this serial-console-driven update - you can use your normal IP address range for the activity, though I can't think why it would behave differently if you did so.
You can also use a standard tftp server, such as the Jouinin one : TFTP server

I tried to do the upgrade via the ethernet port and TFTP first
I don't know what you mean by this.
You must have both the ethernet connection, for both the PC and the NVR, and also the tftp server / updater.