HikVision Camera+NVR Actual Setup - How To Do?

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title suggests, I am looking as to how I would setup a HikVision Security Camera Network.
The products I have are as follows:
DS-2CD2132F-IS = 4 Cameras @2.8mm
DS-2CD2032-I = 6 Cameras @4mm
DS-2CD2032-I = 6 Cameras @6mm
DS-77132NI-SP, 32CH NVR = 1 NVR (16 Port PoE Supported)
With Cat 6A Cable
Planex COMM (PCI) FX-0404IMP 8 Port Switch (4 Port PoE Supported)

Basic Questions:
1.) Does the NVR need to be connected to a wifi router? If yes, then what would be the difference between a DVR and an NVR?

2.) How would I use a PoE switch to extend the range of PoE? For example, I have 4 PoE Cat6a cables with 8p8c plugs on the ends that are attached to an NVR, but are at the 92M mark, do I plug these 4 plugs into any of the non-PoE ports and then plug 4 more Cat6a cables into the PoE ports and connect these cables to the cameras. Will that work as the extension?

3.) What speed internet would you recommend I use if I am going to be setting up these cameras? I already have built in Fibre Optics for faster speeds so what speeds would you recommend I get (also an avid internet user so I stream movies on Netflix and Play games online as well).

Any help you guys can offer will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) it only needs to be connected to a router (does not have to be wifi) if you intend to access the NVR from pc's in your house and/or view remotely...a DVR is generally a device that has BNC inputs for analog cameras...NVR accepts input from network cams.
2) 92m is within range and you should be able to plug them directly into the cameras..if you need to extend it further than 100m, then you dont need 4 cables running back the the NVR (Thats the beauty of ip cameras)...all you need is a single cable running from your poe switch (you can use a non poe port) to a lan port on the NVR...then run additional cable from the poe ports to the cameras...
3) you dont need an uber fast connection..5Mbps upload is more than adequate..the only time the internet will be used here is when you are viewing remotely...

Why are you using a planex switch? never heard of them..looks expensive online...

Reaction score
Hi fenderman,

Thanks for your reply.
I do intend to watch it from a remote location, but if you say 5Mbps Upload is fine then i should be okay with my current internet connection. Thanks.
The cables will have to go beyond the 100M mark but I wanted to be safe and do the PoE Switch at around the 75M - 92M mark.
So if I understand you correctly, I can use a non-PoE port on the NVR, extend that cable to the 92M mark where I will plug it into the PoE switch, then from the PoE switch I can use the 4 PoE ports to allow 4 cameras (4 cameras will be beyond the 100M mark) to get power from the PoE switch whilst transmitting signal to the NVR using only a single Cat6a cable (the 92M long one that is connected to the Non PoE port on the NVR).

Regarding the switch, it is the only PoE switch I can find in Thailand lol. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Separately, If I want to view the cameras remotely, do I have to connect the PoE Swtich directly to the Router instead of the NVR, or can I connect it directly to the NVR as mentioned above?

Looking forward to your reply.
Thnaks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are several ways to do this...is you nvr going to be positioned next to your router? is the switch closer to the router?

Reaction score
Hi fenderman,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.
The router is in a room below where the NVR is going to be, so roughly about 10ft away. Both the router and NVR are 92M+ from where I intend to put to PoE switch.

Thanks again for your help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically you would run a cable from your lan port on your NVR to the router (or to any network connection you have available in the room with the nvr)..then you can run a single cable from the poe switch to the router (or any network connection or even to a poe port on the nvr but that will make the cameras a but to access directly)..since the the cameras are network based you dont need a direct connection between the poe switch and the NVR..as long as they are on the same network its all good. Note that when you do it this way you need to properly set up the cameras using the SADP tool to match your network subnet or else your network will not see them...if you plug the switch directly into a poe port on the NVR then the nvr should pick up the cameras automatically.

Reaction score
Hi fenderman,

Thanks again for your reply.
At the moment my router/internet connection, has been giving me problems and I have had to reset the wifi adapters on all of my laptops in order to get back access to the internet, and in some cases I have actually had to reset the router itself.
If the PoE switch is connected to the router, I fear that the router will give problems again and need to reset more often, so I think I the best option for me would be to connect the PoE Switch to a Port (can it be a non PoE port or does it have to be a PoE port) on the NVR and then connect the NVR to the router.
Also what would be the problems I would have to face if I do it this way (i.e PoE Switch ---> NVR----> Router)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your nvr have more than one non poe port? You can just connect the poe switch to the poe port...dont worry nothing it wont send poe power...
The "problem" is related to not being able to be directly connect to the cameras via a pc on the network to make certain setting changes not available on the nvr...some newer hikvision models have a "virtual " option that allows you to access the camera directly..there are some threads on this...

Reaction score
Hi fenderman,

My NVR has 16 PoE ports and 16 Non- PoE ports.
This now makes me think of even more questions lol :
1.) Does this mean that I will not be able to view the cameras remotely if I choose to connect the PoE Switch directly to the NVR?
2.) I understand that some cameras come pre-set to veiw at a certain quality, will I be able to change those settings on the NVR?
3.) Will I be able to pre-program the cameras before setting them up using my pc?
I will look into these threads you have mentioned.
Thanks again for the advice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1) you will be able to view the cameras--you will port forward the NVR.
2) you can change some settings in the nvr...if your firmware/NVR supports "virtual host" then you can change all the settings
3) yes- and you can access them after too, you just need to hook your pc directly to the nvr...there are several methods for this...

drnouman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi this is an old post and i sending message on this in hope to find a solution for my problem.
My setup is i have 7 hikvision camera (DS- 2cd2345-I). 3 cameras are directly attached to hikvision NVR ( DS-7608NI-I2/8P) which have 8 POE channels. NVR is upstairs in double story house. These cameras are in front of house and attached vbia Cat6 cable. 4 cameras are at back of house which are attached to TPLINK POE 8 port switch ( downstairs) and then cable from POE switch is coming up and is attached in one of the empty port of NVR upstairs.
My issue in that i can see 3 cameras which are directly attached to NVR and only 1 camera coming from POE switch ( out of 4 cameras ). Although on POE switch all lights are on. If i attach POE switch in my network ( in network hub) then i can see all of POE switch camers but my network speeds gets very slow and internet and all data transfer on network gets slow.

Kindly help in this regards to find a solution and if possible give step by step instructions as i am very limited in network knowledge especially with cameras.

Reaction score
Hi,

On my setup, I used Cat6a Cable which is much faster. What sort of distances are you going with your Cat 6 Cable from your NVR to the POE Switch and then from the POE Switch to the Camera?
I think it might be either faulty ports on the POE Switch/ Distance might be to far (in which case plugging in a booster might help).
I am by no means a professional so please don't hold me to that :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My issue in that i can see 3 cameras which are directly attached to NVR and only 1 camera coming from POE switch ( out of 4 cameras )
That's how the NVR works - one camera can be assigned per NVR PoE port. It just has one IP address configurable - not multiple.
But as many cameras as you have channels for can be assigned via the NVR LAN port.
On the assumption that the NVR LAN port is connected to the house LAN - the TPlink PoE switch should also be connected to the house LAN, but not to an NVR PoE port.
So to add your LAN-connected cameras to the NVR:
Note down the fixed IP addresses you have assigned to the cameras on the TPlink PoE switch.
Because it is an 8-channel NVR with 8 PoE ports, you will find that you can't 'Add' more cameras so will need to select unused PoE ports and in Camera Management use 'Modify' to change the IP address of the PoE channel (usually in the range 192.168.254.x) to the IP address of the TPLink-connected camera you want to assign to that channel.

if i attach POE switch in my network ( in network hub) then i can see all of POE switch camers but my network speeds gets very slow and internet and all data transfer on network gets slow.
This is not normal.
What speed capability are the ports in the TPLink PoE switch, and whatever you are using as your core switch ? (maybe your gateway/router if that's how you have the network organised).
The aggregate traffic from 4 cameras at, say, up to 5-8Mbps each should have no impact on a normal switch performance, even if it is only a 10/100Mbps uplink port.
I'm assuming that you didn't also have the NVR PoE port connected to the TPLink PoE switch, opening the possibility of a network loop?
If though you are connecting the TPlink PoE switch and the NVR LAN port via switch ports on a gateway/router, it's possible the router can't handle the traffic levels without impacting it's main function of the ISP routing.
If the NVR LAN port is connected to the TPLink PoE switch, the camera traffic will not travel elsewhere except with you are accessing the NVR.