Got Dahua NVR and missing features on some Dahua Cams. Firmware Issue?

grimm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,

This is my first post.

I was using zone minder for years but recently gave up on it as it was just too awkward to use and maintain.

I purchased a Dahua NVR NVR4108-8P-4KS2/L as all my cameras are Dahua. After connecting them up and going about setting them up things like trip wires I get the error "operation failed".

I assumed that it would be the NVR that would be doing the monitoring and the cameras were just sending the feed to the NVR but from what i found online that does not appear to be the case as the NVR can only do something like tripwire if the camera supports it. Now the thing here is the camera does support it and I had it set up on the camera before but its a pain in the ass to do on the camera as I need internet explorer to do it and I only have linux machines and spinning up VM to do this is a pain. I assumed the firmware was responsible for the NVR not being able to do things like tripwires on the camera but can not find firmware to install.

IPC-HDW4631C-A - front - this works with tripwire on NVR - System Version 2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date: 2018-11-10, WEB Version 3.2.1.561950, ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.1.513183)
IPC-HDW4431C-A-V2 - side - this does not work with tripwire on NVR - Software Version 2.420.0000.21.R, Build Date: 2016-07-24, WEB Version 3.2.1.364036, ONVIF Version 2.42
IPC-HDW4431C-A - back - this does not work with tripwire on NVR - Software Version 2.420.0000.21.R, Build Date: 2016-07-24, WEB Version 3.2.1.364036, ONVIF Version 2.42
DH-SD22404T-GN - ptz - this works with tripwire on NVR - System Version 2.623.0000000.7.R.R4.495, Build Date: 2018-11-24, WEB Version 3.2.1.662493, ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.4.3.580229)

All camera where bought from Aliexpress and were suppose to have english firmwares .
Can anyone advise where I can get more recent firmware for the IPC-HDW4431C model cameras or does anyone have any other suggestions to set up trip wires on those camera from the NVR or from the Dahua gDMSS app?

Thanks for any responses or advise.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is not a firmware issue.

You need to set these up within the camera GUI so that it remains in the camera. The NVR will not show all of the settings and they need to be done within the camera to ensure they stick.

NEVER make a setting for a camera in the NVR. You need to do it in the camera. Try this and you will see more options.

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

Simply select the blue IE icon and it will go to the camera GUI and from there you can set the camera parameters.

1673448986754.png

Regarding firmware, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units into English that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1666892544039.png

grimm

n3wb
Reaction score
It is not a firmware issue.
Thanks for the response.

Why is it advised to do it on the camera? I thought the whole purpose of the NVR was that it manages the cameras, the NVR are just storage if thats the case. im really regretting buying the NVR now as i already had storage to record the data to but assumed with an NVR i could manage and analyse the video of all my cameras on that instead of having to do it on each individual camera with a IE and a VM. You would think they would make these cameras accessable with any browser and not just the ancient IE.

I created and spun of a windows vm and got on to the camera settings with IE and was able to setup some tripwire but after subscribing to the individual camera alarms they are not generating alerts in the gDMSS app even though i can see the events logged in the camera console log. Is there no way to get these alerts sent to the NVR or for the NVR to detect them.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While in theory you should be able to make the settings in the NVR, rhe reason we don't recommed it is too many experience making settings in the NVR and then they don't follow to the camera or stick with it over time.

So almost everything is done within the camera.

After you make those changes you should then reboot the NVR so that it pulls the motion setting from the camera.

The NVR first looks to the camera first for settings so if they are done in the NVR, then it get conflicted on which to do.

You only set up in the NVR the recording and alerts and everything else set up in the camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4431 cams are most likely china region cams that were hacked to English.
Any firmware updates will most likely either set the language back to Chinese or will brick the camera.
You will need to replace those cams for working IVS.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
For the 4431 cameras you can try the firmware posted here: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware
Look under For IPC-HX4XXX-Eos ("Eco-savvy 2.0" 3rd gen) cameras: , and reveal the spoilers
This is international market firmware modified to make the camera look like an international market camera.
Not having a 4431-C camera I have to stop short of highly confident statements. I have successfully loaded this firmware to 4431K, 4431M, and 4431R-Z cameras, and they all work well with it. I doubt, however, that the tripwire related failure is due to the .21 firmware, because tripwires worked ok for me on that version. Make sure you have Smart Plan enabled, required for IVS to work. If you are trying to set the tripwires from the NVR, the problem could be that the newer NVRs actively reject the chinese market cameras. If that's the case, the firmware I gave the link to should fix that. You do need first try the settings directly on the camera's web interface. From the NVR, some settings work, and some don't. Whenever you load new firmware you have to accept the risk of something going wrong and bricking the camera. I always load firmware using the camera's web interface.

While my 4431s have been good cameras, they use sensors a couple of generations old and are significantly behind in low light sensitivity. During the day, their images are just as good as with the newer sensors. If you do replace them, look at the 5442 series. For low cost, Andy sells a 2431 series camera for under $100, that I'm guessing it has about the same light sensitivity as the 4431 cameras.

I feel your pain about Linux, which I use on laptops. For the main system I've stuck with win7 because of several window-only apps. The 4431 cameras work perfectly with the 32 bit Pale Moon browser on windows. There's a linux version of Pale Moon, which might be something to try (I haven't). I don't particularly like the NVR's interface for viewing or playback. Others do like it. I do 99+% of my viewing and playback using smartPss, a windows-only app. I tried gDMSS for a while, didn't like it, and deleted it.

grimm

n3wb
Reaction score
For the 4431 cameras you can try the firmware posted here: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware
Look under For IPC-HX4XXX-Eos ("Eco-savvy 2.0" 3rd gen) cameras: , and reveal the spoilers
This is international market firmware modified to make the camera look like an international market camera.
Not having a 4431-C camera I have to stop short of highly confident statements. I have successfully loaded this firmware to 4431K, 4431M, and 4431R-Z cameras, and they all work well with it. I doubt, however, that the tripwire related failure is due to the .21 firmware, because tripwires worked ok for me on that version. Make sure you have Smart Plan enabled, required for IVS to work. If you are trying to set the tripwires from the NVR, the problem could be that the newer NVRs actively reject the chinese market cameras. If that's the case, the firmware I gave the link to should fix that. You do need first try the settings directly on the camera's web interface. From the NVR, some settings work, and some don't. Whenever you load new firmware you have to accept the risk of something going wrong and bricking the camera. I always load firmware using the camera's web interface.

While my 4431s have been good cameras, they use sensors a couple of generations old and are significantly behind in low light sensitivity. During the day, their images are just as good as with the newer sensors. If you do replace them, look at the 5442 series. For low cost, Andy sells a 2431 series camera for under $100, that I'm guessing it has about the same light sensitivity as the 4431 cameras.

I feel your pain about Linux, which I use on laptops. For the main system I've stuck with win7 because of several window-only apps. The 4431 cameras work perfectly with the 32 bit Pale Moon browser on windows. There's a linux version of Pale Moon, which might be something to try (I haven't). I don't particularly like the NVR's interface for viewing or playback. Others do like it. I do 99+% of my viewing and playback using smartPss, a windows-only app. I tried gDMSS for a while, didn't like it, and deleted it.
Thanks for the reply.

I got the IVS working by accessing the camera directly and they are now sending alerts to the NVR and pushing them to gDMSS so no need to change firmware. Its a pain not being able to manage them from the NVR but at least its a one time task.

I actually need to purchase about 6-8 cameras. Is there a place to see the recent models and the models that replaces other. From what i remember the 4631 replaced the 4431 which is why i bought that. I dont need anything fancy here its just to monitor my shed and yard and would prefer Dahua as everything i have is already dahua and never had issue with them.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
That NVR might be the best NVR for newer cams, as the it's bandwidth is quite limited.