Email problem!!! Anyone know fix?

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey, I can't seem to setup the email notification, not matter what settings I try. I tried gmail, with normal password and 2 way authentication, tried to make a separate account as well. And of course enabled less-secure apps on all. I tried Yandex and GMX and GoDaddy free email, also tried Microsoft Hosted Exchange premium account. None seem to work! I tried with SSL and without on Yandex and GMX. I also tried an offsite Exchange server on port 25.

I tried this both on NVR and on stand alone camera. Setup with Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8

There is obviously internet connection as I can browse the web interface through LAN, and I setup remote access for the camera and can see it from my phone on 4G.

This is becoming a bit frustrating and even ridiculous as I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work, and researched and read about various other users that were able to set this up yet some couldn't, and other's had intermittent success with this through Gmail, as it would work then stop etc.

I am assuming it could be problematic with the version of firmware, and not as much as incorrect settings as they are correct and tried many variants, but thought I'd ask, maybe someone was able to figure out how to make this work?

The stand alone camera is: DS-2CD3145F-I with firmware V5.3.3 build 150803.

The NVR is DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P with firmware V3.4.62 build 160503 (I was told there is no newer firmware for this NVR as it is newer model)

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure, it is possible, but is there a way to check without setting up a mail server and checking the open port? But I don't think that would matter honestly, as most email services use other ports, besides Exchange.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try with port 587 using Gmail?
Yes. And 465.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you did open your ports in your router i assume ??
Why would I need to open the mail ports? The camera is considered a client, not a server (same email settings work ok in Outlook etc). I do have all standard ports open for remotely accessing the camera, and that does work.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
tbh i had the same firmwear and let the nvr send mail with no issues except fot the last 3 days, the emails just stopped

so today i upgraded the fw and emails are now working fine

Just a few notes
I see your cam fw is 533, seems a bit old, perhaps a fw update will help, i dont have your camera so cannot comment on what suits your cam but when i got mine a year ago it was running 5.3.3 and that was problematic in lots of ways, an upgrade fw sorted most issues

maybe an nvr fw upgrade will help BUT just be extremely careful on what you apply to what you have

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
tbh i had the same firmwear and let the nvr send mail with no issues except fot the last 3 days, the emails just stopped

so today i upgraded the fw and emails are now working fine

Just a few notes
I see your cam fw is 533, seems a bit old, perhaps a fw update will help, i dont have your camera so cannot comment on what suits your cam but when i got mine a year ago it was running 5.3.3 and that was problematic in lots of ways, an upgrade fw sorted most issues

maybe an nvr fw upgrade will help BUT just be extremely careful on what you apply to what you have
Which email service did you use, Gmail?

I was told by seller that firmware on my NVR is newest, I have doubts, but maybe. Although I seen on newer firmware there is TLS enable option, I don't see it on mine. I tried to look through Hikvision website but can't seem to find a download.

I can't update the camera mentioned, it is Chinese version and firmware is not upgradable.

uid0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, I can't seem to setup the email notification, not matter what settings I try. I tried gmail, with normal password and 2 way authentication, tried to make a separate account as well. And of course enabled less-secure apps on all. I tried Yandex and GMX and GoDaddy free email, also tried Microsoft Hosted Exchange premium account. None seem to work! I tried with SSL and without on Yandex and GMX. I also tried an offsite Exchange server on port 25.

I tried this both on NVR and on stand alone camera. Setup with Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8

There is obviously internet connection as I can browse the web interface through LAN, and I setup remote access for the camera and can see it from my phone on 4G.

This is becoming a bit frustrating and even ridiculous as I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work, and researched and read about various other users that were able to set this up yet some couldn't, and other's had intermittent success with this through Gmail, as it would work then stop etc.

I am assuming it could be problematic with the version of firmware, and not as much as incorrect settings as they are correct and tried many variants, but thought I'd ask, maybe someone was able to figure out how to make this work?

The stand alone camera is: DS-2CD3145F-I with firmware V5.3.3 build 150803.

The NVR is DS-7616NI-I2 / 16P with firmware V3.4.62 build 160503 (I was told there is no newer firmware for this NVR as it is newer model)
I have the same NVR, I got Gmail email alerts to work for about two weeks, and then they randomly stopped sending. Weirdly I can get the test email to send just fine...

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same NVR, I got Gmail email alerts to work for about two weeks, and then they randomly stopped sending. Weirdly I can get the test email to send just fine...
I don't know why Hikvision hasn't resolved this problem. I understand there are issues with Gmail changing their security etc, but there are other email service providers that don't work either, I tried several! This can't and shouldn't be this difficult or time consuming just to set up simple email notifications and I've been setting those up on printers and other devices for years so why can't a more complicated device such as NVR handle this.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is yours same firmware? Mine doesn't send a test either. Everything works nicely besides email notification.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It may be that the test is going through because there is no attachment. Try to take out the image attachment and see if that works it might if by logic.

uid0

n3wb
Reaction score
It may be that the test is going through because there is no attachment. Try to take out the image attachment and see if that works it might if by logic.
Your suspicion is correct. I took off the image attachment feature and it worked, it sent an email sans photo saying the line crossing had triggered (sadly.)

Firmware: 3.4.82 -- updated from 3.4.21 (the problem exists with both versions.)

uid0

n3wb
Reaction score
Your suspicion is correct. I took off the image attachment feature and it worked, it sent an email sans photo saying the line crossing had triggered (sadly.)

Firmware: 3.4.82 -- updated from 3.4.21 (the problem exists with both versions.)
Although, now the ezviz app did something it never has before -- it sent me a 'message' pushed to my iphone with a little video clip of the line crossing, which is way better than the email with still photos.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems like email service is letting you send emails but not attachments, probably security/limited authentication, or the connection is limited. Could try different email service. Or try different settings/ports.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda cool, but you could miss that. Email with photos is always nice, to get idea what is going on. Then to be able to open remote app and see details if needed.