Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I know exactly how it works and you are making a bunch of amateur newbie mistakes...long winded manefesto type responses does not prove your point. In the real world the difference between bitrate settings is negligible...and I cannot stress this enough, you can pick up a number plate no problem with 1024 bitrate...but keep reading the articles which provide no data or reference points...Not sure about your reference to doubling the bitrate - I never mentioned anything regarding that....here is a suggestion, buy an ip camera - any ip camera and test it....you are making lots of newbie assumption..the blurring seen in video has ZERO to do with bitrate and everything to do with the sensor and exposure....do yourself a huge favor and read the LPR section of this forum. I further suggest that you get some more experience under your belt before you mislead folks about proper bitrates and ip cameras. You are not the first newbie to post nonsense like this without even owning a damn camera - i dont get it.
In that case the UK Government's experts at the Home Office who are advising Local Authorities and Police forces on compression must be a bunch of newbies:

Their video on bandwidth and compression, specifically at:1 min 29 secs, "the amount of compression we need depends to a large extent on the nature of the scene and the amount of movement within it ...."

Also, on compression generally, an explanation of compression, I frames, P frames, B frames and GOV / GOP - this one from the experts at Aixs CCTV systems:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In that case the UK Government's experts at the Home Office who are advising Local Authorities and Police forces on compression must be a bunch of newbies:

Their video on bandwidth and compression, specifically at:1 min 29 secs, "the amount of compression we need depends to a large extent on the nature of the scene and the amount of movement within it ...."

Also, on compression generally, an explanation of compression, I frames, P frames, B frames and GOV / GOP - this one from the experts at Aixs CCTV systems:

lol, they DONT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT THE ACTUAL BITRATE...JUST SAY HIGH/LOW....why you would lie about what the video says is beyond me...also note that video is for 2009 using low res cams...you do realize that h.264 has gone through at least 15 revisions since 2009....What I am telling you is fact...but you keep on relying on youtube videos that dont say anything about bitrate numbers...i guess you need to find a special super hit bitrate camera so you can use 5-10x the needed bitrate and decrease your storage capacity by the same amount.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
OK lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Either way, I think it would be a nice feature to at least offer the end consumer a range of quality options in the menu as well as a choice of h.265 or h.264.

One thing I do think is real shame with the 5231 though is that it appears optically inferior to the 49225. Admittedly the latter is more expensive, but then what you're paying for surely is the turret format, motorisation and 25x motorised zoom. If they could just get a lens on the 5231 that brings it up to 49225 quality of picture, then it would be a real cracker of a camera.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Which vari-focal turret you would say is better for deterrence? This -Z model or the newer -ZE varifocal turret, or both?

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
These days get some report from overseas, the dahua device which bought 1 or 2 years ago, device hacked , they use old firmware. i helped some guys get the latest new firmware and finished updated, seems sort the problem. I can do support for those who need updating no matter where you bought. As i know dahua update most old cams or NVR/CVRs.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI : There is a officially new firmware update for the camera. FW: 2.460.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2017-09-04
What I noticed so far: There is a new function on the backlight settings, calls SSA. And a new option for an online update. see screenshots:
ssa.JPG upgrade.JPG

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI : There is a officially new firmware update for the camera. FW: 2.460.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2017-09-04
What I noticed so far: There is a new function on the backlight settings, calls SSA. And a new option for an online update. see screenshots:
View attachment 22546 View attachment 22547
I checked Dahua's site and can't find this firmware. I went through all the firmware listed for IPC, and do not see it. Here is where I looked: IPC - Dahua Technology

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I certainly do not use this option for online update. Hackers are now welcome to Dahua Cams ;-) :facepalm:
I always prefer the local update outside from internet. this is safer.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked Dahua's site and can't find this firmware. I went through all the firmware listed for IPC, and do not see it. Here is where I looked: IPC - Dahua Technology
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw5231r-z-3651.html
http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw5231r-z-3651.html

I just updated mine using this link. Look for the firmware tab towards the middle/bottom of the page. So far I like the way SSA looks but we'll see when it gets darker or brighter, etc.

Reaction score
I just received my camera from Andy. Great experience. fast delivery. Two days from Hong Kong to Manchester!

What’s the quickest way to set this camera up so I can get alerts to my phone? Which software should I use? Later on I will experiment with blue iris but just want to know if it’s the easiest way to set up alerts for now.