Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The turret can be pretty much mounted in any way and it still be adjusted 360 degree and you can flip the image in the configuration menu if needed. One thing to keep in mind if mounting outdoor, you will either need a junction box or bury the connectors inside the wall to keep it dry. You would want to decide if you are needing a junction box or not before you place an order with Andy to save yourself on shipping cost.

I looked at your previous post and you said your replacing coax cable with Cat6 so I am assuming your current cameras are analog cameras. This 5231 is probably going to be wider compared to your current analog camera setup.

Bill
Would you need a junction box if you bought the wall mount? I bought this wall mount on Amazon. I get my IPC-HDW5231R-Z today from Andy. I planned to buy a junction box but then I thought that since I bought the wall mount (I like the way it looks compared to mounting turret directly to the wall) that the junction box may not be needed now?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QP2X7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the mount I bought, hopefully everything will work fine?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you need a junction box if you bought the wall mount? I bought this wall mount on Amazon. I get my IPC-HDW5231R-Z today from Andy. I planned to buy a junction box but then I thought that since I bought the wall mount (I like the way it looks compared to mounting turret directly to the wall) that the junction box may not be needed now?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QP2X7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the mount I bought, hopefully everything will work fine?
No junction box needed. If you are careful, you can stuff the connection into the cam mount.

cammy17

n3wb
Reaction score
Received my turret today from Andy, but didn't know it comes without a power supply. Aaargh, more waiting. The camera is specified as 12v, but if I look at POE injectors they list 48v. Does anyone know if this one will work: TREEYE POE injector Ethernet Power Adapter15.4W, POE pin4/5 (+), 7/8 ( ) Compatibel met IEEE802.3af voor IP camera IP Telefoons in TREEYE POE injector Ethernet Power Adapter15.4W, POE pin4/5 (+), 7/8 (-) Compatibel met IEEE802.3af voor IP camera IP Telefoons van CCTV Accessoires op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Received my turret today from Andy, but didn't know it comes without a power supply. Aaargh, more waiting. The camera is specified as 12v, but if I look at POE injectors they list 48v. Does anyone know if this one will work: TREEYE POE injector Ethernet Power Adapter15.4W, POE pin4/5 (+), 7/8 ( ) Compatibel met IEEE802.3af voor IP camera IP Telefoons in TREEYE POE injector Ethernet Power Adapter15.4W, POE pin4/5 (+), 7/8 (-) Compatibel met IEEE802.3af voor IP camera IP Telefoons van CCTV Accessoires op AliExpress.com | Alibaba Groep
I believe any 802.3af PoE injector will work. Looks like the one linked above will work. Below is the one I bought and it works just fine. Also lists 48V MAX on the page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PS9E5I/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to get it powered on to get logged in at things set up before you install it hit the link in my signature because you can use a 12 V power injector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topman

n3wb
Reaction score
i have placed and order on 26th September with empire, my parcel was shipped UPS Express Saver
still hasnt left china.. how has it taken for others?

im based in the uk btw

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i have placed and order on 26th September with empire, my parcel was shipped UPS Express Saver
still hasnt left china.. how has it taken for others?

im based in the uk btw
Don't worry, you will probably find it will be in Germany sometime soon then arrive at your door Tuesday / Wednesday. Or there could be a slight delay due to Holidays in China from the 1st - 6th Oct 2017

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe it is already on its journey, when I use DHL (fast shipping), the item is shown at Hong Kong for one or two days, then suddenly, Germany and Italy.

topman

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't worry, you will probably find it will be in Germany sometime soon then arrive at your door Tuesday / Wednesday. Or there could be a slight delay due to Holidays in China from the 1st - 6th Oct 2017
i was sure i picked the DHl option as it was free but it seems to of gone UPS

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i was sure i picked the DHl option as it was free but it seems to of gone UPS
Don't worry at times I've had deliveries from @EMPIRETECANDY come via UPS instead of DHL and still arrive within the week. I guess Andy does what he can and uses the best courier for tax free / duty free shipments :wave:

theprophe

n3wb
Reaction score
How often do these cameras get updated, I noticed it was released almost a year ago, is there a new version around the corner?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How often do these cameras get updated, I noticed it was released almost a year ago, is there a new version around the corner?
There is an updated version which @EMPIRETECANDY sell, but I don't think they currently have stock at the moment. To be honest there doesn't seem much in it between the two.
You can read @looney2ns review here Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

But from other peoples reviews there may be a problem with the focus on these cameras or it may just be a couple of users had faulty ones. Once Andy comes back with more information and more people post their experience we will not know for sure.

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dhl is fast shipping but may result in tax being charged (a risk you take for faster delivery). Ups is tax free but takes longer. I went with ups for my orders (I'm in the UK too). Took about 9 days but tax free so I'm happy. It's show as in nl on ups tracker for 6 or so days then be delivered quickly after that.

Andy generally sends by ups as default unless you specifically request dhl and accept the tax charges that may occur.

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What about deliveries to US, anyone have an estimate? Mine shipped out on 9/25/17 and I have not received it yet, also the tracking info still does not show anything.

bvo

n3wb
Reaction score
What about deliveries to US, anyone have an estimate? Mine shipped out on 9/25/17 and I have not received it yet, also the tracking info still does not show anything.
I ordered mine 9/18 and had it in hand 9/20. DHL tracking info was updated in a timely manner. I'm in Dallas

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ordered mine 9/18 and had it in hand 9/20. DHL tracking info was updated in a timely manner. I'm in Dallas
Wow that is quick, I am over in CT here. The tracking just says ready for dispatch nothing else.

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow that is quick, I am over in CT here. The tracking just says ready for dispatch nothing else.
It may not have actually shipped out based on that status, could be caught in the holiday season fun-times. My shipments from Andy weren't always speedy, but for the price and customer service it is still worth it.

raidflex

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It may not have actually shipped out based on that status, could be caught in the holiday season fun-times. My shipments from Andy weren't always speedy, but for the price and customer service it is still worth it.
Yeah I noticed there was a holiday this week but not last... Andy did mention they were going to be in stock last Monday and that is when I did receive the shipping notification that same day. I ordered from him because many people on these forums were happy with his service and his price was good. I am in no rush was just more of curious.

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, anybody tried to use the IPC-HDW5231R-Z with a synology NAS? I just got the camera and i have trouble setting it up, it works ok with the onvif, cant benefit of all the features (h265, triple channel....), but can't make it work at all as a dahua. Thank you.
Same here, i'm trying to setting the cam up in de Syno, but only ONVIF works. Strange fact is he's reconized the model en brand, but it doens't connect???

theprophe

n3wb
Reaction score
Nis for the hea
There is an updated version which @EMPIRETECANDY sell, but I don't think they currently have stock at the moment. To be honest there doesn't seem much in it between the two.
You can read @looney2ns review here Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

But from other peoples reviews there may be a problem with the focus on these cameras or it may just be a couple of users had faulty ones. Once Andy comes back with more information and more people post their experience we will not know for sure.
Thanks for the heads up