Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That sort of sucks. I had issues getting the advanced camera events on the hikvision cam/nvr to show on the timeline, and hoped to get a more easy life with Dahua.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cool basic tracking sample. Gotta try it like in the back yard...then have a couple of kids running in different directions behind you to see if it goes all ADD and decides the heck with you, I'm following one of them...or maybe that butterfly over there.

I get that is will pan\tilt when passing the FOV, but to zoom & focus seems like it would be a little more complicated....Curious, are there settings for auto tracking that determine if\when it will zoom in closer to the moving object and what part of that object? Like, when it zooms while moving, how does it choose a person's head vs. their feet?

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool basic tracking sample. Gotta try it like in the back yard...then have a couple of kids running in different directions behind you to see if it goes all ADD and decides the heck with you, I'm following one of them...or maybe that butterfly over there.

I get that is will pan\tilt when passing the FOV, but to zoom & focus seems like it would be a little more complicated....Curious, are there settings for auto tracking that determine if\when it will zoom in closer to the moving object and what part of that object? Like, when it zooms while moving, how does it choose a person's head vs. their feet?
I have SD59230-HNI and I have tried to calibrate autotracking for preset. It's tricky to do better than basic calibration. So I left autotracking calibration for now and wait if someone teach us :). It's working well if triggering area is middle of picture, but if it's not it loose the object quite often.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like the recessed design...would be nice if they made it with IR. Adding external IR of course is an answer but IMO that would make it look too bulky \ intrusive again for up close use like a home entry overhang area where it may be just a few feet away.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
with as well as this performs in low light; I dont need any IR lighting.. I thought I might need to add it, but my visible lighting is more than adaquate..

Compared to the MiniPTZ w/IR on, this gives a way better image even w/out IR.. but YMMV.

I wont have to deal with bugs/sprites/weather.. nearly all my outdoor cameras are now using external illumination with the onboard IR disabled, really easy to do w/these Starlights

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great review and notes nayr. I've been holding off on buying that mini black PTZ and now after reading your posts am glad I waited. This will definetely be a much better cam for my needs.
you should mount a Tazer on it to "shake up" that door popper!

M1CHA3L

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it worth buying this camera for the autotracking function?

I do not need IR, thinking about this camera or the SD49225T-HN

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AutoTracking alone is never worth paying extra for; but in this case its the same cost as the other one without it.. so, thats on you.. I'd be more concerned in the differences in form factor than autotracking features.. if the recessed is better suited for the location, then use it.

Dont forget about uptilt; you dont get any uptilt w/recessed dome cause its ment to be ceiling mounted.. whereas the Lite Black Face PTZ can see up and look at the sky/weather or up a hill/incline.. I live on a hill and kinda wish it could see further up the street.. but if I zoom up hill it stops well before it would w/uptilt.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
with as well as this performs in low light; I dont need any IR lighting.. I thought I might need to add it, but my visible lighting is more than adaquate..

Compared to the MiniPTZ w/IR on, this gives a way better image even w/out IR.. but YMMV.

I wont have to deal with bugs/sprites/weather.. nearly all my outdoor cameras are now using external illumination with the onboard IR disabled, really easy to do w/these Starlights
I read in your post that you don't use any IR lighting with this PTZ but I am curious if you have done any testing with an external IR lighting and how well does it perform with one?

I am tempted to get this PTZ for my front door however my street is very dark. Actually my whole neighborhood is dark as you noticed last night when I posted a couple of screenshot from the starlight turret that there is almost no external lighting around here to rely on.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it has an Mechanical IR Cut filter, so it see's IR Illuminators just as well as any other Starlight.. I do have an IR source out front and im thinking of adding another to help when all the visible lighting is off.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this the general price @EMPIRETECANDY is selling these for or was it a special price for your review? He doesn't currently have this one but his price for the 30x is $570, significantly more.

The prices on Aliexpress vary a LOT. The 25x is currently at other sites for $370-$540, so a $350 price does seem possible.

My plan is to put together a list of the items/quantities I want and contact Andy with this to see what kind of prices he can give. Is he okay/prefer this approach versus pinging him with several individual queries?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought what I paid was the list price, I may have been wrong.. there was another vendor offering it for that price hwen I asked for mine so I just assumed; should know by now not to assume.

Ive had this camera for a while, I should write up a verdict.. I do have a few small complaints, but all should be fixable w/firmware so I was hoping something'd pop up soon.

once I have it setup w/new NVR next week I'll judge this camera and list all its faults.. (IVS wont record on my 4216-4K, and presets sometime require hitting twice to get it to move all the way, its like it quits early, its not loosing orientaiton because it moves to the right place the 2nd time, also the fan in it is audible)

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nayr , will you write review of new nvr 5216 4k...:)

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought what I paid was the list price, I may have been wrong.. there was another vendor offering it for that price hwen I asked for mine so I just assumed; should know by now not to assume.

Ive had this camera for a while, I should write up a verdict.. I do have a few small complaints, but all should be fixable w/firmware so I was hoping something'd pop up soon.

once I have it setup w/new NVR next week I'll judge this camera and list all its faults.. (IVS wont record on my 4216-4K, and presets sometime require hitting twice to get it to move all the way, its like it quits early, its not loosing orientaiton because it moves to the right place the 2nd time, also the fan in it is audible)
Thanks.
I'm probably going to have a similar usage as you. It's going to be mounted in the middle of a ~25' covered walkway that connects my back porch to a detached garage. I do a good bit of home automation and will integrate this into sensors to pan to garage, 2 gates, or 3 doors based on detection to get additional view on areas that will be covered by other cameras.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks.
I'm probably going to have a similar usage as you. It's going to be mounted in the middle of a ~25' covered walkway that connects my back porch to a detached garage. I do a good bit of home automation and will integrate this into sensors to pan to garage, 2 gates, or 3 doors based on detection to get additional view on areas that will be covered by other cameras.
Tell us more about this extensive home automation that you have.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tell us more about this extensive home automation that you have.
I wouldn't call it extensive, but I've been messing with it since around 1998 along with tinkering with AVR microcontrollers before there were Arduinos.

My system is mostly built around HomeSeer (using it since the early years) and an Elk M1 security system along with various plugins that I've written to interface to hardware. I use UPB based lighting control. My system's not early as extensive as a lot of those I read about on HS or cocoontech but I've got enough infrastructure in place that I'll be able to integrate cameras. I'm planning to look into the domoticz system that nayr is using as well.

Historically, I've tried to do things on a minimal budget, hacking or re-purposing things that I get on clearance. This works, but often only results in a "proof of concept" and complete solution. I'm finally starting to "loosen the checkbook" a bit, but now the problem is simply not having much free time to work on it. Hopefully retirement in 4-5 years and I'll have time to complete all of this, but I don't think there's ever a *final* solution.