Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hear yeh; I started off entirely hack-n-jack for a long time.. I'm quite sure I had the first smarthome in a trailer park heh, oh the things my shitty lil video system would capture ;)

now that im better off financially and I own a decent house; the gloves are off.. spent way too much money but ive gotten so much done so fast I welcome my robotic overlords when skynet activates heh.

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance here on the intelligent PTZ's. Obviously from your videos it does a great job tracking. I'm curious about setting up the rules for tracking though. For example, I want it to basically be an overview cam except for 2 cases, when someone starts coming up my driveway I'd like it to track them, then revert back to overview upon no movement. Secondly, I'd like to have it autotrack any foot or car traffic on the street from the hours of 10pm-6am that trips the intrusion rule. Are both scenarios possible with this?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Technically yes, you can schedule idle presets/actions to take place on a defined schedule.. then for those individual presets you can define multiple IVS triggers for autotracking, each with there own unique schedules for each IVS trigger with timeouts for how long to spend trying to track a device before going back to its original view.

However alot of that is subjective to the install, and may require tuning/tweaking.. for example Object detection requires a few moments of movment before it registers and draws a box, if you frame it up wrong people can walk right past your rule without even being recognized yet.. someone in another IVS thread had a fixed camera on driveway and was really struggling to get it to detect a vehicle at night because it was just two glowing lights moving too quickly.. Cars driving down my street with the view I showed you are typically moving too fast for this to possibly detect them and start tracking.. I'd have to be pretty far away watching with a wider view to catch em and track em.

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically yes, you can schedule idle presets/actions to take place on a defined schedule.. then for those individual presets you can define multiple IVS triggers for autotracking, each with there own unique schedules for each IVS trigger with timeouts for how long to spend trying to track a device before going back to its original view.

However alot of that is subjective to the install, and may require tuning/tweaking.. for example Object detection requires a few moments of movment before it registers and draws a box, if you frame it up wrong people can walk right past your rule without even being recognized yet.. someone in another IVS thread had a fixed camera on driveway and was really struggling to get it to detect a vehicle at night because it was just two glowing lights moving too quickly.. Cars driving down my street with the view I showed you are typically moving too fast for this to possibly detect them and start tracking.. I'd have to be pretty far away watching with a wider view to catch em and track em.
Here's where I'm getting at.....2 nights ago we had this late 90's 4 door Saturn come into our neighborhood and break into a bunch of cars. I've been hit 4 times, ranging from my first stupid mistake of leaving my truck unlocked to having my kid's scooter being stolen out of the driveway. Everything that's been happening is around 4am. I'd like to set up a rule saying that any activity within a zone when on overview will trigger the PTZ to track it as far as it can. 2 nights ago the car drove up the street, parked, 4 guys got out and 3 headed down my way. Luckily I wasn't hit, but my neighbor was and it was just out of view of the 5231 turret. If I'd have had a PTZ up as overview it would have seen the guys walking down the street and could have tracked them. The other times I've been hit I was able to catch on camera the same guy on foot walking up the street. For that case too I'd like it to detect then track. Of course I'd only want this when there is little traffic, b/c otherwise it'd be going crazy during the day.

Here's the video I've got of them driving in. Skip to the 30sec mark for the neighborhood entry. When the view switches it goes from a Costco QSee 3mp bullet (currently an overview cam) to the 5231 turret.....

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's happening a lot and at about 4am, I think I'd be having my coffee at about 3:30 each day for a week or so and be in a position to greet them ;), maybe even with the help of local LE..

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's happening a lot and at about 4am, I think I'd be having my coffee at about 3:30 each day for a week or so and be in a position to greet them ;), maybe even with the help of local LE..
Yeah it's in about a 2 mile radius of our neighborhood. Problem is that it's about every 3 weeks or so and our town only has 2 officers assigned to it during the night. The guy I have on video has stolen at least 7 guns and lots of other things. I could go on and on about him, but nothing would make me happier than to catch him one night and beat the crap out of him. I've got a driveway alarm that goes off if you take 10 steps up my driveway and a tablet by the bed that is always on with the 5231 turret rolling. I'll know instantly if somebody is in our driveway. Lucky for him, he hasn't been back since last April after flipping me off, lol.

Most of the footage from this is when I first bought a Night Owl Analog system from Costco. I've obviously gone down the rabbit hole and upgraded since then. I'm now looking to change almost everything I have to go all Dahua from Andy soon......

Skip to 1min mark for when he comes up the driveway...

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You really need a Neighborhood watch group. Wouldn't need to last long, just until things quiet down.
We do, that's the problem. He hasn't been back in our neighborhood since April after seeing my camera and flipping it the bird. If I thought I could do a stake out and bust him I'd do it in a heartbeat. The problem is I'm certain I know who it is, but everything is circumstantial with no hard evidence. For example, I guarantee if they searched his closet they'd find a Carhartt Hoodie and a pair of Brooks dyad running shoes. Pisses me off as I have a wife and 2 kids to protect. I've also got a video from an even crappier camera from March where he broke the pet door off and tried to reach in to grab the doorknob. Same guy for sure too....

Reaction score
Stupid question here, but if you have a pet door, do you have a dog? If you have a dog, what is he doing when this guy strolls around the neighborhood? He better be barking his ass off! Of course, just kidding. The pet door access would really worry me.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry for you, but you demonstrate how helpful a security cam is... nothing. The picture quality is poor, details levels not enough for identifying, and of course the theft has done everything right. He is disguised and wears gloves and is fucking your cam :mad:.
Nothing what is helpfull to the local law i guess...
Maybe you should use flood lights at activities. It helps for picture quality and hopefully drives the theft´s away.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Cams aren't just for ID, they allow you to see what is going on so you can call cops, get someone to go to your house, or go yourself, you should have other things in place.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for you, but you demonstrate how helpful a security cam is... nothing. The picture quality is poor, details levels not enough for identifying, and of course the theft has done everything right. He is disguised and wears gloves and is fucking your cam :mad:.
Nothing what is helpfull to the local law i guess...
Maybe you should use flood lights at activities. It helps for picture quality and hopefully drives the theft´s away.
Can you please explain how I'm to ID somebody wearing a mask, gloves, hoodie? FWIW I'm able to ID his jacket, shoes, and pants. I'm also not able to put a camera aiming at the door and also my truck, and the option of having 2 cameras in that location is unfeasible. If you couldn't ID this guy provided he wasn't wearing a mask then I dunno. Keep in mind it was $250 for 4 cameras and a DVR.....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Rig up Booby traps that don't look like they were rigged up

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Rig up Booby traps that don't look like they were rigged up

Oh man, I've thought of every possible thing I could do as a booby trap. They're an awful lot of fun to play out in my head. My favorite would be leaving the pet door off and putting a bear trap on the other side. :eek:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh man, I've thought of every possible thing I could do as a booby trap. They're an awful lot of fun to play out in my head. My favorite would be leaving the pet door off and putting a bear trap on the other side. :eek:
it should be legal to put up electric fences and stuff around your house, I mean, how do people do it for cattle, do you need a special permit?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As much entertainment as an automated paintball turret that targets the face and groin would provide, anything like this or booby trap can land you in a heap of legal trouble even in places like the gunshine state.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
As much entertainment as an automated paintball turret that targets the face and groin would provide, anything like this or booby trap can land you in a heap of legal trouble even in places like the gunshine state.
Because society is full of sissies and criminal apologist, as soon as you cross the property line it should be the same as kicking in the front door and you should be dealt with appropriately, you didn't fall into the yard, you didn't come to bake a cake, you are a criminal and you choose to suffer for your stupid and evil decision, don't want to die? STOP BEING A CRIMINAL.

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Because society is full of sissies and criminal apologist, as soon as you cross the property line it should be the same as kicking in the front door and you should be dealt with appropriately, you didn't fall into the yard, you didn't come to bake a cake, you are a criminal and you choose to suffer for your stupid and evil decision, don't want to die? STOP BEING A CRIMINAL.
+100