Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

randyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry looks like I have a couple of ID's going :)
Thanks for Splaining that. I wa pretty much scratching my head there.

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But, what @tangent was asking, is the cable a factory made cable or did you make the cable by crimping the ends. And your certain it's not copper cald aluminium wire.

Also, if you made the cable, were the ends crimped on using the 568A or 568B standard?
Ok, what you're asking is a bit over my head, but the wire is solid copper 24gauge (Stamped on sheathing) rated for outside use. I crimped the ends myself & my older Dahua PoE SD3282D-GN PTZ had been functioning perfectly for 3 years until I replaced it just now. As mentioned, I will try a Linksys PoE+ injector to see if the problem goes away. If not, then I may look at doing a new run using CAT6 cable. I've also triple-checked all connections/seatings. It almost seems that the injectors powers down after 45minutes, only giving enough power for picture; IMHO but I'm not as technical as you are :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, what you're asking is a bit over my head, but the wire is solid copper 24gauge (Stamped on sheathing) rated for outside use. I crimped the ends myself & my older Dahua PoE SD3282D-GN PTZ had been functioning perfectly for 3 years until I replaced it just now. As mentioned, I will try a Linksys PoE+ injector to see if the problem goes away. If not, then I may look at doing a new run using CAT6 cable. I've also triple-checked all connections/seatings. It almost seems that the injectors powers down after 45minutes, only giving enough power for picture; IMHO but I'm not as technical as you are :)

Try a different injector / switch first, then try taking the camera down and bench testing with a shorter cable for a few days. Pay attention to the temperature readings too.

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok just tried Linksys PoE+ injector. I can conclude that it's faulty wiring :(

I will do a new run of CAT6 cable. Screenshot of picture showing temps constant at 20°C after an hour tells me the camera is working fine :)

Any recommendations on what type CAT6 I should use? Should I try & get precrimped ones? What else should I look out for?

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What he meant by 568A or 568B standard is what are the order of the wires in the rj45 end looking at it with the pins up and away from you 568B is white orange, orange, white green, blue, white blue, green, white brown, brown.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can conclude that it's faulty wiring
I don't think you're quite there yet. Faulty wiring / termination is a possibility, not a certainty. I realize removing the camera is a bit of a pain, but I would remove it and bench test it for a couple days. If you conclude it is a cable issue, try reterminating the cable before you just replace it.

Last edited:

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think you're quite there yet. Faulty wiring / termination is a possibility, not a certainty. I realize removing the camera is a bit of a pain, but I would remove it and bench test it for a couple days. If you conclude it is a cable issue, try reterminating the cable before you just replace it.
Ok will try reterminating cable this weekend & will update my situation then. Thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok will try reterminating cable this weekend & will update my situation then. Thanks!
Please try removing the camera and testing it on your desk with a short good quality cable for a couple days. If it passes that test, then try re-terminating.

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please try removing the camera and testing it on your desk with a short good quality cable for a couple days. If it passes that test, then try re-terminating.
I have one last question. If the CAT5e cabling had worked flawlessly for 3 years with not a single dropped signal with my older Dahua SD3282D-GN PoE PTZ, is PoE+ that much more finicky that the cabling &/or termination could be causing the problem.

That's why I'm heeding your suggestion of bench-testing this unit first.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the CAT5e cabling had worked flawlessly for 3 years with not a single dropped signal with my older Dahua SD3282D-GN PoE PTZ, is PoE+ that much more finicky that the cabling &/or termination could be causing the problem.
802.11at isn't more finicky, but you are using more power and did recently move the cables around / mess with the RJ-45 plugs.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
POE+ is drawing more power through the 24AWG wires and will heat them more than POE so it is possible you have one of the wires terminated but not good enough for the higher demands since wires expand and contract with heat variances. Cat 6A and 7A significantly minimize the heat issue. But if that where the case I would expect the camera to stop working after time. You said the camera is still providing a live feed when the PTZ stops working and isn't just showing the last image received? Here is a good article showing how well the different types of cabling handle POE+ demands With PoE+ getting hot, keep your 802.3at apps cool

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
POE+ is drawing more power through the 24AWG wires and will heat them more than POE so it is possible you have one of the wires terminated but not good enough for the higher demands since wires expand and contract with heat variances. Cat 6A and 7A significantly minimize the heat issue. But if that where the case I would expect the camera to stop working after time. You said the camera is still providing a live feed when the PTZ stops working and isn't just showing the last image received? Here is a good article showing how well the different types of cabling handle POE+ demands With PoE+ getting hot, keep your 802.3at apps cool
Yes you are correct. I am still getting a live feed. And thanks for elaborating on the termination problem possibility. I suspect that might be so as in the initial installation I was able to move the camera via my Blue Iris & IP Cam Viewer iPhone apps. The last two times I have unplugged and replugged the injector, I'm only able to move the camera with the IP Cam Viewer app.

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, had a read through the link that Terk provided. After reading this & knowing now that I have the least acceptable cabling (CAT5e) for PoE+ would it be better for me to run the camera via the supplied power supply. The 2nd floor eave where the camera is mounted is close enough to our bay window that I can easily wire the power supply directly to the camera and there is a power outlet right under the window. I will still redo the terminations on the cable just to make sure I have good data throughput on both ends.

Would this be the preferred way of powering this PTZ camera?

Last edited:

IPDaily

n3wb
Reaction score
Have many people installed this camera outdoors but undercover and if so how does it fair - did you add any additional weatherproofing? From what I can see there have been some porch installs, and while not quite in the porch, I was planning on installing one under the eaves of my (single story) house (roughly where the arrow indicates in the photo) - I'm just a bit concerned it may be a touch too exposed for a camera without egress protection. There do seem to be some mini PTZ domes with IP66 (like the SD1A203T-GN) which might be better suited I guess, though I was keen to try out the auto tracking a bit.

I basically want to be able to track people from when they open the front gate round to my front door (I have a separate camera covering the porch itself), and also if they decide to go down the driveway to the right of the house instead.

Attachments

fishtek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @IPDaily,

I have almost the exact same install location as you do (corner of house under the eve). I didn't do any additional weatherproofing. My camera has only been up about 2 months, but it has been pretty cold with a number of storms and I haven't had any issues.

I haven't had a chance to really get into the auto-tracking, however just setting up the preset locations with a routine for sunrise and sunset has been pretty great.

Attachments

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks to Andy @ Empire who had me do a Hardware Reset. Currently running with the supplied 24V power adapter & all is fine. Has been running since Monday 6:00PM without any problems. Have set to Auto-Tracking under PTZ > Function > Intelligence.

Can someone do a Tutorial on IVS Tripwire Auto-Tracking. Can't seem to configure. Every time it instructs me to "draw line rule" I do so & try to SAVE, but always comes up with "error draw rule" message.