Dahua NVR with switch

MrNaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all I am about to deploy my first Dahua system and I have a few questions about how they work. I will be using the NVR 4416.
  1. If I have several cameras in a cluster that are a long way off, can I put a small switch near the cameras, so that I only have to run one long cable to the switch and then connect each camera to the switch? The reason for this is that there is a long indoor section, and then a short outdoor section and I don't want to run 3 long runs of outdoor rated cable. I'd rather one long run of indoor cable and then 3 short outdoor runs.
  2. Are the "Starlight" cameras with the Sony Starvis sensors really worth the extra dollars? I know the Starvis sensors are amazing, but are they implemented well in the Dahua Starlight cameras?
  3. Is the 16CH limit on the NVR based on all 16 channels doing 4K at full speed? Or is the units rated recording speed of 200mbits a hard limit and I have to make sure the total throughput of the cameras is lower than that?
Thanks all!

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi all I am about to deploy my first Dahua system and I have a few questions about how they work. I will be using the NVR 4416.
  1. If I have several cameras in a cluster that are a long way off, can I put a small switch near the cameras, so that I only have to run one long cable to the switch and then connect each camera to the switch? The reason for this is that there is a long indoor section, and then a short outdoor section and I don't want to run 3 long runs of outdoor rated cable. I'd rather one long run of indoor cable and then 3 short outdoor runs.
  2. Are the "Starlight" cameras with the Sony Starvis sensors really worth the extra dollars? I know the Starvis sensors are amazing, but are they implemented well in the Dahua Starlight cameras?
  3. Is the 16CH limit on the NVR based on all 16 channels doing 4K at full speed? Or is the units rated recording speed of 200mbits a hard limit and I have to make sure the total throughput of the cameras is lower than that?
Thanks all!
Thanks all!
I will try to answer the first question. Yes. Run the long cat6 cable to a POE switch and plug the POE switch in an AC outlet. From the POE switch run the short cat6 cables outside. Cat5 or cat6 cables will work.

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks all!
Regardless of the camera brand you buy, buy the same brand of NVR. You only get the full functions of the camera if the camera and NVR are of the same brand.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
2- yes. But know there are various models/sensors and some perform better than others. The 1/1.8" sensor in some 2MP and 4MP cameras is the latest low light champ. Recommend the 5442 series

3- The NVR can only record 16 channels in addition to the 200mbits limit

ptzman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2- yes. But know there are various models/sensors and some perform better than others. The 1/1.8" sensor in some 2MP and 4MP cameras is the latest low light champ. Recommend the 5442 series

3- The NVR can only record 16 channels in addition to the 200mbits limit
I will try to answer questions 2 &3. I have some Sony SNC-VB635 cameras with 1/1.9" sensors/2mp, with 1/2" C mount lenses, they are great. It all depends on what you are looking to see, cameras are expensive as you know. A 1/1.8" sensor is better for seeing in a very low light area and even better if you have some light. A 2mp camera is going to require more bandwidth than a 4mp camera. Your total cameras cannot exceed the bandwidth (200mps) of your NVR. Hikvision and Truvision websites have very good articles on how to calculate bandwidth based on the camera resolution and other parameters. What are you trying to record? You may not be able to use 16 cameras, it all depends on the resolution, frame rate, bit rate, etc of each camera. Sorry for any mistakes, can only type with one hand, nerve damage in the other.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought that’s what I said...

....wait, a 2MP camera requires more bandwidth than the equivalent 4MP?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a 4MP camera will require more data (bandwidth) then a 2MP camera. The actual amount of data is dependent on the compression, the complexity of the scene, than amount of motion, frame rate, picture quality, Iframe value, bit rate type.....

The NVR is limited by the Mbps of the inbound and outbound system. And the maximum Mbps of each port. Most consumer NVR will not support 16 cameras at 4K.

As a side note there are no 4K(8mp) starlight cameras at this time.