Camera Faceoff: Dahua Starlight IPC-T5442TM-AS vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here is a vid of the Hik in 1/500 exposure last night. I keep my landscape and potlight lighting on through the night. I find the Dahua seems to have more options available for tweaking than the Hik.

Not sure what you're asking about the junction boxes. But the Hikvision has a bit more space in the back due to it being a larger camera, the Dahua has nothing so unless you can push the cables into say a soffit hole, you'll need a junction box. Where abouts are you in the GTA btw (I'm in North Vaughan)?

View attachment 64929
I'm in Rexdale. That's nice quality.

So the HIK has enough space behind to tuck wire connector where it doesn't need a box?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will be installing 3500 lumen flood for driveway. Maybe even 2. In that case which one is better
If the flood lights will be always-on at night, neither camera will need to use its built-in lighting. Since both cameras use the same image sensor, the image quality should be similar.

If the flood lights are motion sensor activated, remember that the camera will be temporarily blinded when the floods come on at night. Don’t expect useful video during the period the camera takes to adjust to the new lighting situation. I’m not sure the ColorVu makes sense in this situation. At night, when your big 3500 floods are off, the ColorVu would have to turn on its LED lights, making it a flood light that lights up the area. Why add two more flood lights to that area then?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the flood lights will be always-on at night, neither camera will need to use its built-in lighting. Since both cameras use the same image sensor, the image quality should be similar.

If the flood lights are motion sensor activated, remember that the camera will be temporarily blinded when the floods come on at night. Don’t expect useful video during the period the camera takes to adjust to the new lighting situation. I’m not sure the ColorVu makes sense in this situation. At night, when your big 3500 floods are off, the ColorVu would have to turn on its LED lights, making it a flood light that lights up the area. Why add two more flood lights to that area then?

So the flood will run dusk to dawn at Half power. Upon motion detection it will go into full power for whatever duration I set like few minutes.

So yeah the IR or LED on a camera will never turn on. That's why I just need to figure out which is the better pick for me and which one requires what kind of mounting. I can't drill holes so the wire has to be run through sofits and along the stucco.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would get junction boxes, much easier for the wires, the Hik might have enough space, but it's still tight. The Dahua has ZERO space.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I end up shoving all my wires into the soffits and flush mount the cameras.

Too bad you have to run exposed conduit/wire on the outside of your house.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So one thing I don't understand, is adjusting both to 1/120 exposure yields this, basically a completely washed out picture on the Dahua? Must be a setting on the Dahua I'm not configuring properly.

View attachment 64573
If you set the shutter speed to 1/120 on a Hik, that tells it to never use any shutter speed slower than 1/120, but it is free to automatically adjust it to the lighting conditions. In full sunlight it is probably upwards of 1/500th or 1/1000th. With the Dahua, you would achieve this effect by using Custom Range and specifying a minimum shutter speed of 0ms and a maximum of 8.3ms, allowing the camera to adjust from 1/120th upward, like this:

1593376351171.png

I have a ColorVu and I'm curious if you are planning to use the onboard lights. If the objective is to identify nearby subjects, it'll help. If you haven't already located the controls for the LED intensity, they are in here:

1593376244313.png

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not planning on using the LED lights. Tried it with enabling on motion but was a bit iffy. Sometimes worked other times didn't.

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
What's the conclusion about the two cameras as of now? I saw a comparison video online and the colorvu seems pretty good at night, does the 5442 match it in low light condition(color mode)?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's the conclusion about the two cameras as of now? I saw a comparison video online and the colorvu seems pretty good at night, does the 5442 match it in low light condition(color mode)?
Based on reviews and videos they seem similar. Same 1/1.8" sensor and both 4MP. Maybe the Colorvu has a tiny edge or my eyes were playing tricks on me hard to say.

For me I went for 5442 because:

1) It was a little bit cheaper. Even the junction box for it was a little cheaper. (Based on Andys prices, I don't know about other sellers)
2) I'll never be using the onboard weak LED. Rather have IR option as backup if lights fail such as power outage because it will be pitch black then and I doubt onboard LED does much. (Cam and network on UPS)
3) 5442 is physically smaller. Should be easier mounting and less of an eyesore on my stucco.

If colorvu was cheaper, I'd probably have gone for that. Picture quality wise its splitting hairs they seem similar.

Last edited:

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
Based on reviews and videos they seem similar. Same 1/1.8" sensor and both 4MP. Maybe the Colorvu has a tiny edge or my eyes were playing tricks on me hard to say.

1) It was a little bit cheaper. Even the junction box for it was a little cheaper. (Based on Andys prices, I don't know about other sellers)
2) I'll never be using the onboard weak LED. Rather have IR option as backup if lights fail such as power outage because it will be pitch black then and I doubt onboard LED does much.
3) 5442 is physically smaller. Should be easier mounting and less of an eyesore on my stucco.

If colorvu was cheaper, I'd probably have gone for that. Picture quality wise its splitting hairs they seem similar.
Do you know if min illumination is comparable between different cameras(aka should I look for the one with the lowest number possible)?

I was digging around and found a seemingly China only model 2CD3T47 and the min illumination is 0.0005 lux compare to 2347 and 5442's 0.001 lux. I only found a spec sheet in Chinese however I believe google translates worked pretty well for me and numbers should be comparable if the units are the same?

Maybe I am missing something

Attachments

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you know if min illumination is comparable between different cameras(aka should I look for the one with the lowest number possible)?

I was digging around and found a seemingly China only model 2CD3T47 and the min illumination is 0.0005 lux compare to 2347 and 5442's 0.001 lux. I only found a spec sheet in Chinese however I believe google translates worked pretty well for me and numbers should be comparable if the units are the same?

Maybe I am missing something
From what I understand, take those numbers with a grain of salt. Both are comparable I think but hard to compare since they give lux values at different f stops. Maybe someone with more knowledge on lux/fstop and other metrics can weigh in here.

Also can we really believe the numbers china-only models give ?

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
From what I understand, take those numbers with a grain of salt. Both are comparable I think but hard to compare since they give lux values at different f stops. Maybe someone with more knowledge on lux/fstop and other metrics can weigh in here.
For F stops do you mean the F1.0 that follows the lux? I looked at Andy's page and saw that 5442's rating is 0.0016/F1.6, and 2347's rating is 0.0014 Lux @ F1.0. So both hikvisions seem to have the same F1.0?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For F stops do you mean the F1.0 that follows the lux? I looked at Andy's page and saw that 5442's rating is 0.0016/F1.6, and 2347's rating is 0.0014 Lux @ F1.0. So both hikvisions seem to have the same F1.0?
Yes the Hik is 1.0.

So that number is the ratio between focal length and aperture size.

So technically yeah the Colorvue should (in theory I think) let more light in but maybe there is more to it perhaps someone can chime in..

Look at attached.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was digging around and found a seemingly China only model 2CD3T47 and the min illumination is 0.0005 lux compare to 2347 and 5442's 0.001 lux.
I would guess that spec sheet should say 0.005 lux, not 0.0005. The ColorVu should be 0.001 lux, and most 5442 models are 0.002 lux. Dahua seems to be introducing some 5442 -NI models that are f1.0 like the ColorVu, also with 0.001 lux.

From what I understand, take those numbers with a grain of salt. Both are comparable I think but hard to compare since they give lux values at different f stops.
Someone mentioned that the ColorVu really does have a f1.0 aperture, so I'm guessing that contributes to the 0.001 lux. Dahua has some new 5442 -NI models that also have a f1.0 aperture and they also rate at 0.001 lux. I'm def. not knowledgeable when it comes to f/stops but FWIW...

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

2) I'll never be using the onboard weak LED. Rather have IR option as backup if lights fail such as power outage because it will be pitch black then and I doubt onboard LED does much. (Cam and network on UPS)

For the record, the onboard LED is quite strong. Here's a sample video where you can see markings on a tabby cat. All other light sources are behind it, the foreground light you see is all the ColorVu. It's not going to light up your entire yard, but it's decent for the purpose of lighting up people within facial-ID range.

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
I would guess that spec sheet should say 0.005 lux, not 0.0005. The ColorVu should be 0.001 lux, and most 5442 models are 0.002 lux. Dahua seems to be introducing some 5442 -NI models that are f1.0 like the ColorVu, also with 0.001 lux.

Someone mentioned that the ColorVu really does have a f1.0 aperture, so I'm guessing that contributes to the 0.001 lux. Dahua has some new 5442 -NI models that also have a f1.0 aperture and they also rate at 0.001 lux. I'm def. not knowledgeable when it comes to f/stops but FWIW...
Yea that's what I thought first as well so I checked multiple pages and they all say 0.0005 lux. The Bullet version of 2347 is called 2T47, so I guess this 3T47 may be the upgraded version of 2T47 which is the upgraded version of 2347?

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Hmm can you link this model? Haven't seen it anywhere.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Couldn't find 5442 -NI. Not out yet?