Camera Faceoff: Dahua Starlight IPC-T5442TM-AS vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just tried my Dahua and it washes out at 1/120 on a sunny day. Try the Exposure Comp - mine doesn't have that.

I wonder if the Hik is doing auto adjusting to correct - maybe it speeds up faster but will go no slower than 1/120?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Set the shutter range on the Dahua. Hit the drop down on the shutter and go to the bottom and select "Customized Range". Then put in "0" for the 1st number and 8ms for the second number (which is 1/125).

I've not tinkered with the Iris. I'm not sure if the Dahua cameras leave it be at 50% (or whatever you happen to have the slider set to) no matter what the shutter speed is set to or if they auto adjust. It appears they leave it set and auto adjust the shutter instead.
Interesting, the above works (customized range and selecting 8ms).

Strangely the Hikvision shows a drop down for Iris mode, but the only option is Manual. There is no other option in the dropdown, I was expecting an "Auto" option like the Dahua has.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the customized range improves the image by allowing you to set 0 which will allow the camera to operate at up to it's fastest speed, but it will go no slower than the 8ms, which is the 1/125. So the Dahua is probably running at 1/10,000 or better right now. I do a range at night so that headlights do not washout the image.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best comparable settings to run them at. I assume the Hikvision is doing the same thing even though it says "manual", since presumably it would have the exact same issue as the Dahua if it was completely fixed at 1/120.

But the above is good to know for when I finally set up my Dahua LPR outside.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but the LPR is a different animal - you will probably run that fixed at 1/2000 at night. I have played with the range settings on LPR and at night in my situation it was horrible and daytime it would trigger everytime the shutter speed changed so I run it constant during day too.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Still struggling with the Dahua and getting the IR "right" on it as even in auto when I walk by I am "blown out" in white.

Having said that, the more I play with these cameras, I am starting to wonder about the 2 Hikvisions I have. I am beginning to think the Dahua's are better in every category. Neither perform in very low light conditions at even 1/120 gain. Having said that, the Dahua seems to offer more tweakability with it's "shutter priority" and "Gain priority" and even auto exposure modes where in color mode, while there is more grain, you can actually make out a person walking by whereas with the Hikvision you get nothing at 1/120, and slower than that you just get a transparent ghost.

Maybe I'm not getting the settings perfect (and obviously am not on either), but unless you have a specific need for a camera that instead of IR has a very bright LED and I think the 5442 has an LED version), or where you have ample light, the Dahua seems to be a better overall choice and more "newb user friendly" with it's auto choices.

DeadEnd

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe there was a problem with the Smart IR initially with the new Dahua's.
There was a firmware update that fixed it - have you updated the firmware to the latest?

- DeadEnd

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe there was a problem with the Smart IR initially with the new Dahua's.
There was a firmware update that fixed it - have you updated the firmware to the latest?

- DeadEnd
1593052376695.png
That's the version I'm on

DeadEnd

n3wb
Reaction score
V2.800.0000000.11.R.191230

seems to be the newest with fixed IR.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok I read and I'm not understanding. Which is better overall for color low light for say monitoring cars on a driveway at night ?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok I read and I'm not understanding. Which is better overall for color low light for say monitoring cars on a driveway at night ?
If you can't flood the area with white light than you are better off running in IR. You will need a faster shutter (1/125 or faster) to capture facial images without blur. That will dim the color pictures at night quite a bit.

I'm partial to the Dahua Starlights. I really like them.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
View attachment 64603
That's the version I'm on
11.R is the newest version from Andy.

I'm surprised you are having IR issues though. Auto setting seems to work pretty good with me. You could try Manual and play with the slider and see if that makes a difference.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends how much light you have on the driveway. My plan is to use the Hik as my driveway camera. If I get around to it today or tomorrow (it's not an easy install!) I can post what it looks like. I have a 2.8mm Hik ColoVu on my front porch, and it does pretty well at 1/500 with decent ambient light, I'm guessing the same camera on my driveway will do well.

E.g., this is my current (older) 2142FWD dome set at 1/50 exposure. The Hik ColorVu will blow this away.

Sorry, tried to post an .mp4 with a car driving by but it wouldn't upload.

192.168.1.21_02_20200627081838927.jpg

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends how much light you have on the driveway. My plan is to use the Hik as my driveway camera. If I get around to it today or tomorrow (it's not an easy install!) I can post what it looks like. I have a 2.8mm Hik ColoVu on my front porch, and it does pretty well at 1/500 with decent ambient light, I'm guessing the same camera on my driveway will do well.

E.g., this is my current (older) 2142FWD dome set at 1/50 exposure. The Hik ColorVu will blow this away.

View attachment 64787
Nice Driveway, I will make sure and park my oil leaking car on the street :)
From the air you can say, "Look there is my house, see the Big 8" :)
All kidding aside, thanks for the reviews...Really Appreciate it...

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you can't flood the area with white light than you are better off running in IR. You will need a faster shutter (1/125 or faster) to capture facial images without blur. That will dim the color pictures at night quite a bit.

I'm partial to the Dahua Starlights. I really like them.
I will be installing 3500 lumen flood for driveway. Maybe even 2. In that case which one is better

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 64787
Hik isn't as easy to install as dahua ?

My cat5e will be running externally. No drilled holes. Do i need junction boxes for both options ?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hik isn't as easy to install as dahua ?

My cat5e will be running externally. No drilled holes. Do i need junction boxes for both options ?
Here is a vid of the Hik in 1/500 exposure last night. I keep my landscape and potlight lighting on through the night. I find the Dahua seems to have more options available for tweaking than the Hik.

Not sure what you're asking about the junction boxes. But the Hikvision has a bit more space in the back due to it being a larger camera, the Dahua has nothing so unless you can push the cables into say a soffit hole, you'll need a junction box. Where abouts are you in the GTA btw (I'm in North Vaughan)?

View attachment DS-2CD2347G1-LU.20200628_000002_1.mp4

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a vid of the Hik in 1/500 exposure last night. I keep my landscape and potlight lighting on through the night. I find the Dahua seems to have more options available for tweaking than the Hik.

Not sure what you're asking about the junction boxes. But the Hikvision has a bit more space in the back due to it being a larger camera, the Dahua has nothing so unless you can push the cables into say a soffit hole, you'll need a junction box. Where abouts are you in the GTA btw (I'm in North Vaughan)?
potlight huh? o_O:secret::clap::smoking::cool: